SHORT HUNT PRODUCES TO CUT SPANISH SILVER AND ONLY TWO BUTTONS...WHAT A RATIO!!

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's the first day of gun hunting season so I figured I wouldn't be able to get on to any fields but I was wrong and was able to hunt a field late in the day. Aside from the usual aluminum and shotgun brass I was able to pull out two buttons and two cut pistareens. This is by far my best coin-to-button ratio ever, haha. It was a freshly bush hogged corn field but there were fresh dig holes so the competition has already been there but as usual they were probably "roamers" and not "gridders" so they missed these two coins 8-)

PB180167.JPG PB180168.JPG PB180169.JPG

Upvote 31

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
A fine hunt Joey. Always nice to find stuff by other dig holes. I’m envious, been a while since I’ve seen a cut piece come out.

OP
OP
joeyfresh

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A fine hunt Joey. Always nice to find stuff by other dig holes. I’m envious, been a while since I’ve seen a cut piece come out.

Thanks Evan. I have a feeling you'll dig one this spring

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats. Only found one cut Pistareen ever up here in Maryland but it is one of my favorite digs.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
You're killing it with that new machine Joey. Congrats on a multiple silver day, and nice video too. And you have nerve calling me "ho-hum" - your excitement level when digging those cut pieces was less than most when digging a wheatie .... ha!

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome hunt man :occasion14: This popped up in my YouTube subscriptions and I watched it before Abe told me you posted on here two. Glad you're enjoying hunting with that new machine and so far you're killing it. Can't wait to see you hit some of your older iron patches with it.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice work Joey, with the trash comes the treasure!

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two cut Spanish silver over a single outing, a week of outings, or a month of outings would be great in my book. Congrats to you. This has probably been discussed before, but I'll ask anyway. Why are cut pistareens so prevalent down in VA? Up in New England, they're found as well but far less often.

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Two cut Spanish silver over a single outing, a week of outings, or a month of outings would be great in my book. Congrats to you. This has probably been discussed before, but I'll ask anyway. Why are cut pistareens so prevalent down in VA? Up in New England, they're found as well but far less often.

I think it has to do with the lack of small change in VA. New England and even here in Maryland to a lesser exent, there seems to be a lot more British copper coinage found than in VA.

Last edited:
OP
OP
joeyfresh

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree, I can go an entire season without finding a colonial copper. I think there was more localized trading up north and south did more trading with foreign merchants who probably preferred silver over copper currency

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread