1851 Gold Coin! And few others from a Bramble hunt.

Bartek

Apr 5, 2014
Northern NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Me and Charlie (eastcoastHunter21) took advantage of 60 degree weather and decided to head into our hunted out spot (thick bramble). We have been pulling old coins and relics at this location for over a year.

Since this spot was hit hard I decided to run my dues at 17mhz and see if some smaller targets were missed.

My first digable target was an 1883 Indian, right in the middle of a path.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1511308467.476521.jpg

Then the path disappeared and the overgrowth became thick. It took some crawling and few thorns but we made it through to an open area

Few mins later I found a largie shaped button. I think it’s an LC converted to a button. I see a “1” of “1/100” at bottom and an “s” of “states”
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1511308658.063296.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1511308668.314708.jpg

Maybe half hour later, Charlie starts calling me over “dude I think I have a Gold coin”!!! I rush over and we carefully wash it in water and a French 1940 2 franc appears (unfortunately not Gold)
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1511308773.612011.jpg

On our way back I pull a matron Head cent
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1511308837.652500.jpg

Then we start crawling and fighting the bramble once again to get near our parking spot.

Seeing the car I was accepting the days results, but I always try to swing till the last moment. Swinging some more, I get a nickel sounding pop and decide to dig in... I see a gold rim, and start screaming to Charlie “dude, I think it’s gold!” He rushes over and I grab my phone and begin recording:
(Here’s the video)

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1511309071.281786.jpg

An 1851 French, Gold, 10 Francs!!!

Never did I expect it, only dreamed about the elusive gold coin!!

Here she is cleaned up;

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1511309170.496324.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1511309181.962161.jpg

I’m on cloud #9! I’ve picked up a detector 4 years ago, had some great finds in that time! Met some amazing people through it and am looking to get back out there soon!

Happy Hunting tNet!

Ps. Trying to figure this find out...
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1511309351.350647.jpg

Upvote 89

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Voted Banner again Bart, IMHO this one should have beaten that 1865 $5 gold piece to the top since it was dug earlier. I am a believer that all Gold coins dug deserve a place on the Banner. They are a constant reminder that there are still plenty in the wild, just waiting to be rescued by an obsessed MDer.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We all dream about finding a banner!!! But I think the bar is set so high, that many of us will never achieve it.. I'm voting Banner again

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Voted Banner again Bart, IMHO this one should have beaten that 1865 $5 gold piece to the top since it was dug earlier. I am a believer that all Gold coins dug deserve a place on the Banner. They are a constant reminder that there are still plenty in the wild, just waiting to be rescued by an obsessed MDer.

possible that since it's foreign gold, that it's not there @ banner. Nothing wrong with foreign gold mind you. And this one seems to have had provenance with other period coins (so not a "fluke" in a "modern sandbox"). But still .... the average USA hunter is going to prefer finding USA gold. I realize that's a weak excuse (if the mod's used that as criteria). But in the attempt to keep the banner SUPER exclusive, there can be a lot of seemingly picky points and seeming mere-whim, as to what makes it.

VaNana

Aug 23, 2014
Northern Va
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Garrett 350 Garrett pinpointers
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great looking coin! Banner!

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
possible that since it's foreign gold, that it's not there @ banner. Nothing wrong with foreign gold mind you. And this one seems to have had provenance with other period coins (so not a "fluke" in a "modern sandbox"). But still .... the average USA hunter is going to prefer finding USA gold. I realize that's a weak excuse (if the mod's used that as criteria). But in the attempt to keep the banner SUPER exclusive, there can be a lot of seemingly picky points and seeming mere-whim, as to what makes it.

In my eyes it makes it a much rarer find it being French, a french military button might make banner, a gold Indian where there were millions made can make banner? Sometimes around here it feels like a cliche? I'm not one to start any trouble, but..........

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Think many agree Treblehunter

Gene Mean

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2016
Central NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Equinox 800
Eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Your hard work paid off. Nice gold!

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way behind on my Tnet today's finds reading....but did some catching up and would like to add a BIG Congrats to you for your Gold coin find. Extremely rare and a Banner Vote from me. Super find and no doubt Banner worthy. WTG!!!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
In my eyes it makes it a much rarer find it being French, a french military button might make banner, a gold Indian where there were millions made can make banner? Sometimes around here it feels like a cliche? I'm not one to start any trouble, but..........

Hmmm, I entered an 1829 British gold coin , that was found at an emigrant stage stop here on the west coast. It didn't make banner. It was several years ago, so I could maybe find that post.

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Bart, hopefully the Basstards will get a hunt in soon and I can see that golden French beauty. Although Saturday they’re calling for a 1/2 door of snow!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used

I found it :

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/287209-1829-british-gold-sovereign-found.html

There's an example of a foreign gold that didn't make banner. Not sure if the fact of being foreign was a factor in that or not. I also had a USA gold coin once on today's find, that also didn't make banner.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/58670-11th-gold-coin-found-grade-please.html

So while it's true that most gold coins will make banner, yet: It's not a given.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other

Well since you bring it up, IMHO I’d rather see a French gold coin than the usual US gold but I digress....

This thread is about Bartek’s gold coin and how incredible and rare a find it is. Can’t remember ever seeing one on Tnet;)

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't seen one either This is as rare as they get!!!!!! Sweet find

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Things that go bump in the night

Last edited:

Benjamin52

Apr 26, 2011
Germany
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS :-:
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it's blasphemy this is not yet banner.
I know I am gonna piss a lot of people off. I know it is a USA-based forum and all my respects to the US hunters.
But here I know fields where I can pull out 50 musket balls an hour from the 1600's or 1700's and I saw banners with 1 rev. war James shell, or some civil war militaria get banner, which, of course they deserve.
But this is a truly rare find.
Man, my last hunt in Germany before winter I pulled 6 silver coins from a field. All coins 1700's or earlier. For me that doesnt deserve banner, cuz here it is pretty common.
But that gold coin is really unique. Also saw this Vince guy with a hammered gold coin thats 1500 years old. I know it was shattered but hey, thats a once in a lifetime find.
I think those unique gold finds should deserve banner.
My 2 cents. Or (euro-cents :occasion14: XD)

Last edited:

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think the banner is still coming for this at some point. Just got to be patient. No offence to anyone but moaning about it not being there may actually do more harm than good. Best just to keep commenting in how great it is everyone once in awhile if anything. Weather it makes it up or not its a dream find to pretty much anyone on here regardless so if it was me id be in heaven finding that banner or not! [emoji2][emoji106]

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread