1851 Gold Coin! And few others from a Bramble hunt.

Bartek

Apr 5, 2014
Northern NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Me and Charlie (eastcoastHunter21) took advantage of 60 degree weather and decided to head into our hunted out spot (thick bramble). We have been pulling old coins and relics at this location for over a year.

Since this spot was hit hard I decided to run my dues at 17mhz and see if some smaller targets were missed.

My first digable target was an 1883 Indian, right in the middle of a path.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1511308467.476521.jpg

Then the path disappeared and the overgrowth became thick. It took some crawling and few thorns but we made it through to an open area

Few mins later I found a largie shaped button. I think it’s an LC converted to a button. I see a “1” of “1/100” at bottom and an “s” of “states”
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1511308658.063296.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1511308668.314708.jpg

Maybe half hour later, Charlie starts calling me over “dude I think I have a Gold coin”!!! I rush over and we carefully wash it in water and a French 1940 2 franc appears (unfortunately not Gold)
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1511308773.612011.jpg

On our way back I pull a matron Head cent
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1511308837.652500.jpg

Then we start crawling and fighting the bramble once again to get near our parking spot.

Seeing the car I was accepting the days results, but I always try to swing till the last moment. Swinging some more, I get a nickel sounding pop and decide to dig in... I see a gold rim, and start screaming to Charlie “dude, I think it’s gold!” He rushes over and I grab my phone and begin recording:
(Here’s the video)

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1511309071.281786.jpg

An 1851 French, Gold, 10 Francs!!!

Never did I expect it, only dreamed about the elusive gold coin!!

Here she is cleaned up;

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1511309170.496324.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1511309181.962161.jpg

I’m on cloud #9! I’ve picked up a detector 4 years ago, had some great finds in that time! Met some amazing people through it and am looking to get back out there soon!

Happy Hunting tNet!

Ps. Trying to figure this find out...
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1511309351.350647.jpg

Upvote 89

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it's blasphemy this is not yet banner.
I know I am gonna piss a lot of people off. I know it is a USA-based forum and all my respects to the US hunters.
But here I know fields where I can pull out 50 musket balls an hour from the 1600's or 1700's and I saw banners with 1 rev. war James shell, or some civil war militaria get banner, which, of course they deserve.
But this is a truly rare find.
Man, my last hunt in Germany before winter I pulled 6 silver coins from a field. All coins 1700's or earlier. For me that doesnt deserve banner, cuz here it is pretty common.
But that gold coin is really unique. Also saw this Vince guy with a hammered gold coin thats 1500 years old. I know it was shattered but hey, thats a once in a lifetime find.
I think those unique gold finds should deserve banner.
My 2 cents. Or (euro-cents :occasion14: XD)
A lot of us who would love to find a banner know it will probably never be achievable in some parts of the country if all theses gold coins don't even make we have realized it has to be King Tuts Golden tooth and then and only then it must be signed by a Pharoh and be in the ground for a minimum of 2000 years. I love this hobby and I love this site but I wish we could have significant finds recognized as well!!!!

Last edited:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, the argument about it not making banner because it's French is ridiculous. Does Tnet ban "foreign" detectorists on this site? Do international treasure hunters have to work harder do dig an American banner find in Europe? Last time I checked the banner KING of Tnet is Crusader, and he's made banner with every foreign gold he's dug.

Is it right for this big, interesting gold coin to not be up top? No. Is some moderator worried that there won't be enough variety on the banner since there are already two gold coins up there? Perhaps.

3cylbill

Jul 2, 2015
s.tier NY
Detector(s) used
TESORO, MINELAB, WHITES , GARRETT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How many times does a find have to be nominated ? This find is very worthy as nobody's ever posted this gold coin here before . This is a find of a lifetime and so many members have spoken up. MAYBE....you should POST a list of finds that are ...

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Hey guys, another thought occurred to me, Re.: the decision of mod's : If the mere fact of people's insistence (aka gripes) was to be a deciding factor: Then the system could be subconsciously manipulated. Eg.: if it takes "25 posts of people who are upset" to therefore make it banner: Then presto: All you need to do is do a countdown to 25 gripe posts.

In other words , if ANY *set* criteria (# of gripes, $ value of object, # of votes, # of "likes", length of video, # of pix, etc...) were to a SET standard, then people would .... for lack of a better phrase ... "study to the test".

We had the same gripes in our brick & mortar club: The show & tell's find of the month award was done by vote of the audience (after all the entrants had their turn at the podium showing off their goodie entry). But some people griped that this was not giving the "best" find the prize. So for example: Someone comes in with a Large Cent (worth all of $2.00), yet someone ELSE comes in with a key date Standing quarter from the 1920s that might be worth $150.00 The room would be divided by those dazzled by value, versus those dazzled by skill @ super old relicky sites. And no matter HOW much was done to resolve the monthly rules of determination, there was ALWAYS going to be someone that didn't like the system.

Is it seemingly arbitrary and capricious ? Yes. But anything less than that starts to make it "mechanical", so-to-speak.

So too will there forever be gripes, even if the percentage of banner finds were increased to daily admissions. Which ... BTW, if they allowed DAILY admission ('cuz there's great finds every single day), then the status would loose it's allure. Ie.: grade inflation. So ... putting yourself in the mod's shoes, it's a durned if you do and durned if you don't list of choices.

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BANNER BABY !!!! Love that find!! Big Congrats........ my vote is in !!

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Uh, this?

"If it gets enough Banner Vote reports without anyone campaigning to get
members to Vote."

"When I get 3 Banner votes in 3 Seconds from 3 different members
I'm pretty confident someone was making PM's or phone calls, saying Vote for Mine, I'll vote for yours
Not saying it happened here."

"Members campaigning for votes for themselves or others ruins threads. Do Not Do IT!"

The constant bumping of this thread is annoying to say the least, I can't find a better example of campaigning than this thread. I would think that calling out the Moderators and/or policy isn't helping either. I don't think they need nor want the constant reminders regarding this coin. Matter of fact, I bet this thread is probably in ignore mode by now.

There have been many examples recently just like this one that didn't make the banner and they all seem to have a common denominator......

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the quickest way to stop a find from making banner is to start a campaign to receive a banner and or start attacking our banner process. (and I know Bartek is not campaigning)

Anyone who says a find didn't make banner because it is a foreign coin or because it was found in a foreign country doesn't have a clue. We prefer to not have back to back banner finds that are identical or close to being identical. Coin was posted 3 weeks ago, some banners don't make banner for a month or longer.

FYI it does not matter if a member votes banner 4 times, it only counts as one banner vote.

Last edited:

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
One of the quickest way to stop a find from making banner is to start a campaign to receive a banner and or start attacking our banner process. (and I know Bartek is not campaigning)

Anyone who says a find didn't make banner because it is a foreign coin or because it was found in a foreign country doesn't have a clue. We prefer to not have back to back banner finds that are identical or close to being identical. Coin was posted 3 weeks ago, some banners don't make banner for a month or longer.

FYI it does not matter if a member votes banner 4 times, it only counts as one banner vote.

Thank you for chiming in, and yes, it’s all about Bartek’s coin. How about a nickel for every time a banner discussion erupts on a thread?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
... campaign to receive a banner and or start attacking our banner process....

I agree with scrappy: thanx for chiming in TH'r. And you brought up an ironic point, that not even Bartek, who found the coin in the first place is questioning the status (a humble man I suppose). It's commendable that others who might not even know Bartek, are rooting for the coin (that's what show & tell is all about, after all). But .... at a certain point, it's a historical given that tons of good finds (even gold coins) don't always make banner. And if the day ever came where it's a mechanical step by step list of criteria, is the day when people can subconsciously work-that-system. So it's got to be like a Miss America Beauty contest pageant, where there's no scientific formula, I suppose.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with scrappy: thanx for chiming in TH'r. And you brought up an ironic point, that not even Bartek, who found the coin in the first place is questioning the status (a humble man I suppose). It's commendable that others who might not even know Bartek, are rooting for the coin (that's what show & tell is all about, after all). But .... at a certain point, it's a historical given that tons of good finds (even gold coins) don't always make banner. And if the day ever came where it's a mechanical step by step list of criteria, is the day when people can subconsciously work-that-system. So it's got to be like a Miss America Beauty contest pageant, where there's no scientific formula, I suppose.
I didn't say coin will make banner or it want make banner, I'm saying attacking the process will not help any find make the banner or make the banner faster, it can only hurt the process.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Eastcoasthunter21

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2015
New York/Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DEUS ALL THE WAY
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bart , I have to think your gold coin is very rare
It is the only gold coin that I’ve seen that has not gone banner !
I have no idea y
But as I said it’s a banner find.
20th century silver makes banner
And common ones at that !!
I just don’t get it !!
What gives here ?
That was a banner find !!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm getting ready to take pictures of and post my 10 gold coin from 1886. I just have to find it first I am also a Deplorable. LOL I love this site and the tnet family here. Its their rules and reasons for what they do I'm sure they have good reasons ,I will respect that!!! Tommy

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Bartek

Bartek

Apr 5, 2014
Northern NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I’m sure there are a lot of reasons, all I can say this find has a special place in my collection and that’s what ultimately counts. TNet has been a great place, I’ve greatly expanded my knowledge, was able to identify numerous relics and met few fellow detecting buds that I now call friends! With that, thanks everyone for your words and votes.

Happy Holidays!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m sure there are a lot of reasons, all I can say this find has a special place in my collection and that’s what ultimately counts. TNet has been a great place, I’ve greatly expanded my knowledge, was able to identify numerous relics and met few fellow detecting buds that I now call friends! With that, thanks everyone for your words and votes.

Happy Holidays!
Just FYI, I never thought you were campaigning for banner.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread