1662 Oak Tree Twopence - Needs restoration work, but I'm happy to have it!

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It appeared as though 2017 would be a sparse year for older silver coins, but an outing last week has made all the difference. :hello2: Until last week, my oldest silver coin found over the past 11 months was an 1898 Barber dime. Living in New England affords wonderful opportunities for finding Colonial Period silver coins, but there are no guarantees. Last week I was at “Old Faithful” ::) — a farm so named for its past offerings over many years — a 1652 Oak Tree shilling (my avatar), a 1693 Arabian silver coin connected to Red Sea piracy, Spanish silver cobs, coppers, latten spoon fragments, spur buckles, etc.

The site’s only disadvantage is a minimum number of fields subject to seasonal plowing. This obstacle proved ever more challenging on my most recent trip, as I noticed that one often plowed field was now planted with a multi-year crop, i.e., no more plowing. :sad7: It was a well located field that had produced some good finds over several years of plowing — a good number of coppers and a pristine Liberty Seated half-dime, but I never pulled any Colonial Period silver from this choice location. This most recent plowing of the soil however, this one last tilling of the soil for years to come, had finally pulled up a prized coin from a depth beyond the capabilities of my detector and all my prior searching. I walked the edge of the field on my way to another area and noticed a wide border of bare dirt that permitted some fast sweeping. My walking slowed down to a slower pace and sweep as I dug a small piece of lead, a hot rock, and a third signal. I initially suspected another hot rock but noticed its numbers ran too high and consistent. After a bit of shoveling, my pinpointer located a small clod of dirt that yielded a tiny bent disc of metal dark gray in color with highpoints of bright silver.

127.jpg

128.jpg

Upon close examination, I noticed a beaded circle design on this apparent coin — a sure sign that I had just recovered a Massachusetts silver coin. :icon_cheers: I rinsed the coin with a bottle of water as well as I could manage. During the first few moments, I figured that I could have the coin straightened by a jeweler perhaps, but I was getting ahead of myself. In attempting to determine the coin’s denomination - a two-pence or a three-pence — I blew the last clod of dirt right through the coin. “Oh God — I ruined the coin! :icon_pale: No — Keep calm! It was holed long ago. Breathe. Inhale. Exhale.”

The coin is a 1662 Oak Tree twopence, Noe-32 variety. About 1/3 the weight of a modern US dime, it’s smaller and much thinner.

PB160004.JPG

PB160002.JPG

The method of punching a hole in this coin is odd. It appears that the coin was holed over an uneven surface and the coin was bent in the process.

PB160018.JPG

In most holed coins, the displaced silver is absorbed around the outside of the hole resulting in bead of raised silver. The displaced silver on this twopence is splayed out in sections extending away from the coin. There is also a small crevice in the coin further out from the center. The oddly-shaped hole is a bit interesting, although I would certainly prefer having avoided the matter entirely with the recovery of an unmarred coin. Excluding a cut piece of a shilling from a few years back, it’s been 11 years since I recovered my first Mass Silver coin, so I’m glad to have another coin in any condition.

So what to do with the coin’s current appearance? ??? A highly-skilled silversmith is willing to straighten the coin. While he can possibly close the perforation as well, he will not fill and doctor the hole, which is to be expected. Should I have the splayed silver from the puncture folded back into place? It may result in a better view of the coin’s details (date), but I’m more inclined to leave the hole as I found it and preserve the coin’s history of use. I’ve read that collectors are more forgiving of holed coins from the Colonial Period, of which Spanish cobs and Mass Silver are best known for their rustic charm. The silversmith believes that the coin can perhaps be straightened without annealing. It would be better to not expose the coin to a torch as part of the annealing process, but will there be a greater risk of snapping the coin? I’ve seen video from England in which annealing hammered coins appears to be a standard practice. I appreciate any suggestions or opinions on how to best restore this coin, so please weigh-in with your own two-cents (or two-pence :laughing7:) of advice if you wish.

And what of my remaining search of the property? I phoned the farmer, who I’ve known for many years, about the twopence, and he gave me permission to search the planted field. The up and down contour of the ground made for difficult hunting, but I managed one more early find, a partial latten spoon. It was likely a seal handle variety dating from the 17th century to early 18th century. The maker’s mark on the spoon is too far gone with surface corrosion to identify. In an adjacent field, I also found a spur buckle fragment, dating to the 1680s with decorative rosettes. Three finds over the course of several hours of searching, but what the site lacked in quantity was made up ten-fold in quality.

PB160022.JPG

Sorry for the long details on this recovery, but it’s not like I’ll be posting such finds anytime soon — then again, who knows? Let’s stay positive and see what happens! I wanted to post some information of the whole subject of putting holes in coins. For those of us searching for old colonial coins, it seems like such a horrendous practice. Perhaps the topic can be discussed in this thread?

Finally, I mentioned the earlier recovery of a 1693 Arabian silver coin from the same site that produced the two-pence. I posted it back in 2014 when it made the banner. I recently authored a 43-page article on this coin and other similar Arabian coins all recovered in Southern New England and all connected to piracy on the Red Sea at the close of the 17th Century. The article was published in the Colonial Newsletter, a research journal published by the American Numismatic Society. With the recovery of this latest Mass Silver, it would seem an appropriate time for a long overdue update of the thread titled “1693 Hammered Silver — A Pirate’s Coin.” Keep a look out for this thread if interested. My published research connects these Arabian coins found by New England detectorists, including some posted here on T-Net, to one of the greatest piracies in history — the plundering of the Mughal treasure ship, Gunsway, by Captain Henry Every of the Fancy in 1695! :skullflag::skullflag::skullflag:

Good Hunting!

Last edited:
Upvote 56

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great story, great find! Being a member of the Mass silver club, I understand your feelings exactly, and I congratulate you on finding a second rarity- one is miracle enough!

-- Jeff --

Alnitak

Nov 20, 2008
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
The crude holing made me wonder if perhaps it was done by a Native American with a crude stone tool, and used as ornamentation?

OP
OP
Silver Tree Chaser

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On the most appropriate day for giving thanks, thank you for all the kind comments, suggestions, and opinions on whether or not I should attempt some degree of restoration. As of right now, I have five members in the "pro-restoration" camp and four members in the "leave as is" coalition. Thanks to all for the banner votes.

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On the most appropriate day for giving thanks, thank you for all the kind comments, suggestions, and opinions on whether or not I should attempt some degree of restoration. As of right now, I have five members in the "pro-restoration" camp and four members in the "leave as is" coalition. Thanks to all for the banner votes.

He hee. Not here to bring confusion but, I would leave it be. Sure it's appearance is kind of beat up and unimpressive but, it adds to what this specific coin actually had to endure in it's existence. It tells the story that we can only make assumptions about. I think it's cool as all get out bent up and holed. It may look "nicer" after restoration but, you kind of remove it's past history in doing so. Just my 2 cents. Great find.:icon_thumright:

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome discovery, congratulations! I'd anneal and restore the coin if it were up to me, it looks like a candidate with potential. The PMD was certainly done historically, but to me adds nothing to the historical appeal of the coin as it apparently contributes no additional concrete information or context of real importance like scratched initials/date graffiti or even the serpentine double-bending of love tokens might provide (which I would straighten too if in decent condition). Just my 2d. It is interesting that the coin appears to have been circulated in that condition for a while based on the wear.

Good luck finding more Massachusetts silver in that area, I'd wager that one or 2 more are eagerly waiting for you!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wonderful find. And you are an excellent model of a detectorist-scholar. Much respect...looking forward to reading your article.

OP
OP
Silver Tree Chaser

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The crude holing made me wonder if perhaps it was done by a Native American with a crude stone tool, and used as ornamentation?

I believe it was most likely done with a nail or similar implement of iron, but the coin was apparently stuck over an uneven surface - a rough wooden bench or table perhaps. The coin could have just as likely been holed by an early colonist to securely and conveniently carry the coin fastened with twine; however, the wearing of such coins by Native Americans for ornamental purposes is certain, as such instances are referenced in primary source documents from the 17th century. We find such a reference in the following passage:

"...they being so busy in dressing themselves, and getting ready for their dance, which was carried on by eight of them, four men and four squaws. My master and mistress being two. He was dressed in his holland shirt, with great laces sewed at the tail of it; he had his silver buttons, his white stockings, his garters were hung round with shillings, and he had girdles of wampum upon his head and shoulders."

This first-hand account of Native American dress in New England dates back to 1676. It was written by Mary Rowlandson, an English colonist who was taken in to captivity by a combined force of Narragansett, Wampanoag, and Nipmuc warriors after they sacked the town of Lancaster, MA during King Phillip's War; it was America's deadliest war in terms of percentage of the population that died in the conflict. She spent 12 weeks in captivity before being ransomed and wrote about her ordeal years later in 1682; it became America's first best seller and remains in print even today. She clearly notes that her Indian master wore shillings on his clothes. Undoubtedly, these were Oak or Pine Tree shillings.

1770_MaryRowlandson_Captivity.png
Illustration from A Narrative of the Captivity and Restoration of Mrs. Mary Rowlandson - 1682.

The reasons for holing this twopence will never be known, but the history of the time period allows for a lot of possibilities.

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Incredible find! I love Mass silver. Ready to find another and that one would suit just fine! Congrats. :notworthy:

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great..... no matter what !
Even if it was run over by a freight train .

Still a tree !:hello2:

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dream find! Banner!

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow!! Great find!! Get that baby straightened!! Congrats and HH

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great coin! The condition only affects the dollar value - not the history!

OP
OP
Silver Tree Chaser

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great coin! The condition only affects the dollar value - not the history!

Iron Patch - Well said. I certainly won't need to trouble myself with any thoughts of whether or not I should have the coin slabbed for a details grade (holed) - not worth the effort. As you may recall from an earlier thread, I mentioned that NCS (a division of NGC at the time) slabbed my shilling with the wrong designated variety, and the coin is a Noe-14 Oak Tree, the Spiny Tree, which is probably the most recognizable variety of all Mass Silver. They're suppose to be the professionals. :tongue3: I'll proably bust it out of the slab one day in the future.

While looking into the whole matter of holed Mass Silver coins. I came across this listing in a coin auction catalog for a holed Pine Tree Shilling. Check out the description.

View attachment Doc3.pdf

NCS (NGC) couldn't even get the denomination right. Apparently, they can't tell the difference between a Roman numeral III and XII in identifying whether the coin is a threepence or a shilling. :icon_scratch:

IP - Thanks for the comments.

plymouthian12

Silver Member
Mar 26, 2010
massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
DFX, EXcalibur, Dual Field, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on another one Jim. I'm starting not to like you haha. I'm pretty envious

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread