Bottles and pottery 1st post

KentuckyIron998

Nov 23, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This will be my first artifact post on this site these are a few random finds recovered recently from several sites over a period spanning the summer
6C3E7588-AACC-455B-8F9F-05DC23E2C045.jpeg
The first find is a small inkwell methinks probably from around 1900-1940 pretty wide range but I’m fairly new to bottle collecting maybe you guys can narrow that down it has what appears to be ink hardened to the inside
5B481E16-B76E-458F-BA70-B011D152E149.jpeg
Next is a plain aqua colored bottle found near a local early 1900s distillery a date on that would be appreciated as well
3AF221B6-F112-47A8-9559-36E97B4E7C36.jpeg
Next is an old paper label and screw top also aqua blue any idea what it was used for?
image.jpg
Ceramic pitcher?maybe a jug found nearby to the plain aqua from the Distillery site
image.jpg
Just would like a date on this rose glass bottle neck
This was my first post just sharing a few bottles any information would be appreciated I left out a few to keep it short thanks for viewing
Happy hunting

Upvote 10
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the cool bottle finds! :occasion14:

ProspectingForStone

Nov 17, 2017
North East USA Maine
Detector(s) used
Raider Gold, Old machine of my Father's
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This will be my first artifact post on this site these are a few random finds recovered recently from several sites over a period spanning the summer
View attachment 1519038
The first find is a small inkwell methinks probably from around 1900-1940 pretty wide range but I’m fairly new to bottle collecting maybe you guys can narrow that down it has what appears to be ink hardened to the inside
View attachment 1519041
Next is a plain aqua colored bottle found near a local early 1900s distillery a date on that would be appreciated as well
View attachment 1519042
Next is an old paper label and screw top also aqua blue any idea what it was used for?
View attachment 1519046
Ceramic pitcher?maybe a jug found nearby to the plain aqua from the Distillery site
View attachment 1519049
Just would like a date on this rose glass bottle neck
This was my first post just sharing a few bottles any information would be appreciated I left out a few to keep it short thanks for viewing
Happy hunting

Hi, welcome here to treasurenet.

I too am fairly new to bottle hunting. In fact the only bottle find I have found have been Maine Medicine bottles, well one Mass Cough Killer and two Maine bottles, the way I found them isn't standard, they were found because I needed a place found an apartment to rent, moved in and they were there.

This has happened to me more often than I thought it would. I found a 25 + Knick Knack bear collection in a recent apartment move, as well as Arcoroc Restaurant and Bar professional grade glassware- all condiment candy dishes about a 6 piece candy/condiment Arcoroc Dish collection. So it happened twice, now the bears and the arcoroc are not antique, but the glassware is in great condition and very useful and sturdy, and the bears are pretty decent condition, sell value at this seems zilch, but I really love the excitement of finding things in this way.

Which brings me to my point and advice here, I am by no means an experienced bottle collector with one find under my belt, but I really appreciate the hobby and can share what I've learned.

1. Expect to think of creative ideas on where to find and hunt bottles. Do not rule out that visit to a friend and they hand you a bottle because they may not have an interest and you show an interest. Do not rule out moving and finding something interesting or unique, essentially be open that you may have some luck and not have to dig at all or pay an amount for a find. Sometimes life will give you positive surprises.

2. Check the bottoms, as well as following the bottle identifying link one of the members here gave, of your bottles and porcelain etc you find. Look for identifying labels and dates. Read on how to identify antique Porcelain as well. A lot of antique porcelain is not labeled by company or date.

You may not always find a bottle, glass, porcelain ect that is old, but do not be afraid to research and identify anyway. Many things I have found and kept that are not old and worth even a hundred buckaroos I have kept because of their interesting history, and the life these objects have lived.

There is a lot of pottery too that can be found and cleaned that while may not be antique, may still very much look very nice, and be a nice piece. There are many very nice pieces out there that would look marvelous in someone's china cabinet.

And now if you have time to respond, could you please give me some pointers on how to find glass bottles, porcelain, glassware and such by actually digging? Like I said the oldest glass finds I have found, I happened to walk into a storage room in a new apartment and found there, took to my father and asked what are these? They look kind of cool, to which he responded, hey those are old medicine bottles. And then I got a History lesson, and grew an appreciation for glass bottles, which grew to include pottery, porcelain, what have you.

So welcome, nice finds, and if you haven't yet check the bottoms of those pieces and elsewhere for any identifying marks, labels, and don't forget check out that link you were given.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

KentuckyIron998

Nov 23, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi prospectingforstone thanks for replying I find most all my artifacts by eyeballing but I’ve first hand seen good results for finding bottles through digging privies which are stone walled outhouses you can find these by looking for shallow indentions in the earth and using a probe to locate the privy wall I’ve seen people pull entire jugs pottery peices and bottles from them as well as other cool stuff hope my advice helps and nice meeting ya

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to T-net. First bottle is an old glue or polish bottle, something like that. Like you see here: DSC04358.jpg DSC04357.jpg

I found mine in what I believe was a 1920s/ 1930s garbage dump, although it was a very long time ago.

The 3rd bottle looks like a pickle or a sauce bottle, although Im not too familiar with them.

You can use this website to date a lot of old bottles by looking at the manufacturers marks on the bottom of the bottles, if there are any:

https://www.glassbottlemarks.com/bottlemarks/

OP
OP
K

KentuckyIron998

Nov 23, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks old Pueblo I figured the polish was round that time any idea on the sauce?

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They’ve been making screw top bottles since the 1890s, maybe a little earlier. If found where the glue/polish bottle was found, it probably dates to the same time period. I’m not an expert, so these bottles could be a little older than the 1920s or 1930s. If there are any markings on them, that might help to date them.

OP
OP
K

KentuckyIron998

Nov 23, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The screw top was found near a 1850-present day house site the polish was found on a different site on my farm if it is any clue to age the rose glass bottleneck was dug in the same spot but I figure that date 1920-1930s would line up about right

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome Joseph to the coolest sight with the nicest crew of folks on any treasure hunting forum there is. Love me some old bottles and anything that is old whatever it's composition is. The ceramic "pitcher" find is pretty cool. If you don't own a metal detector, "yet", it might be in your interest to get one. Folks on here can help give you some pointers how to go about that. No need to empty your bank account to get started. If it beeps and you are a curious fella you will find some darned cool stuff. Have a great time here!:hello:

OP
OP
K

KentuckyIron998

Nov 23, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks I have a few nice ceramic peices most all are chipped or broke
I have only been on this site a day now and I’ve gotten a lot of information on some of my finds this is a very supportive site thanks a lot for replying

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread