goldbill

May 6, 2009
Maine
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites v3 deus v4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all .It sure has been awhile. Bought a new detector (xp deus) and am learning how to use it. Had one hour this am and went to an old park that has about 100 yard of a 1700's road. Place is in the brush and has a high drug feel if you know what I mean. With the leaves gone and cooler temp. I thought I would give it a go. Stepping into the woods i see a little green in the leaves. Thought Cool a dollar bill. Nope a twenty!!!!! Alot easier than digging 80 quarters... then my first signal was weird and I thought multiple targets.. One shovel full and different targets in the pile. First was the old ear ring clamp. then the ring then the ear ring. one foot away was the cuff link. I knew I had to dig every thing and two feet away out comes my first coin mint!!!! has anyone tried taking pics in a mirror? Not easy. Here are some pics ! Bill

Attachments

• DSCF3174.JPG
    DSCF3174.JPG
    28.8 KB · Views: 110
  • DSCF3175.JPG
    DSCF3175.JPG
    27.6 KB · Views: 84
  • DSCF3176.JPG
    DSCF3176.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 110
  • DSCF3178.JPG
    DSCF3178.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 91
  • DSCF3181.JPG
    DSCF3181.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
Upvote 18

SultansOfSwing

Dec 28, 2016
NH
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 - & ProPointer AT-------

Back Ups: AT Pro, Tesoro Royal Sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive never seen anything like it. Is it lead and the nickle was presed into it to do that?

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils - Garett ACE 250 - Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like someone was bored back in the day and hammered a nickle into some camp lead.
Thats awesome! Congrats!

OP
OP
goldbill

goldbill

May 6, 2009
Maine
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites v3 deus v4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive never seen anything like it. Is it lead and the nickle was presed into it to do that?

Thanks for the comments. It does appear and feel like it's lead. Why anyone would do this I have no idea. I was kinda happy to get a date off it ..The soils here are not kind to shields...Bill

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you look for the nickle. That's a cool relic 20 bones doesn't hurt either

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely an interesting piece you have there. I agree that somebody was bored back in the day and probably just playing around. Doesn't make the find any less cool though. :icon_thumright: Pretty easy way to make 20 bucks. That's fortunate. :occasion14:

Louisiana Ken

Sep 17, 2012
Lacombe, La
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excallibur II
Minelab E-Trac
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Weird!!!!!! Guess they tried to make counterfeits!!!!!

RelicHunter97

Sep 10, 2010
Western Massachusetts
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I swear I remember seeing something like this posted here years ago! It was a piece of lead with the reverse side of a Shield Nickel impressed into it. Unique things like that are some of my favorite finds!

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure what you mean by mint, but that sure is an interesting find. I used to do press coins into lead when I was a kid, guess people haven't changed much in a hundred years!

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that is a very different kind of find. I like it ! That will make for a great conversation piece.

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Fun and unusual finds! Enjoy you Deus! I want to update my detector...not sure if Deus or Equinox is the way to go. Will wait to hear how others like the Equinox. Congratulations again!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread