Do you think at least one of these buttons is colonial?

• Total voters

Rogue Relic Hunter

Oct 3, 2016
Virginia Colony
Detector(s) used
DETECTORS: XP Deus WS-4, Garrett AT Pro and Pro-Pointer, Fisher CZ-5
TOOLS: Piranha shovel & R85 Military digger, both by Predator Tools
ATTIRE: Red Head brand Knee-High Waterproof Snake Boots
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
??? COLONIAL BUTTONS ???

BUTTON #1

Button #1. Small. Found with the XP DEUS on the other side of the James River, 25 November 2017.

Shank still intact on other side (see bottom pic). Clad dime for size.

Any opinions are WELCOME. let me know what you think.

IMG_4926.JPG

BACK of button (pic below) - No Letters visible. Is that a flattened shank?

IMG_4936.JPG

IMG_4927.JPG

BUTTON #2

Button #2. Large. Found with the XP DEUS on the other side of the James River, 25 November 2017

Shank still intact on other side (see bottom). Clad dime for size.

IMG_4925.JPG

FRONT of button (pic below) - Ornate pattern visible.

IMG_4935.JPG

BACK of button (pic below) - Letters "UP" and "NC" visible, appear to be raised lettering.

FullSizeRender(1).jpg

IMG_4924.JPG

Last edited:

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They both appear to be early 1800s.... possibly late 1700s. The small one is a cuff button. Any back mark on it under the crud? If it has a back mark its definitely early 1800s.

OP
OP
Rogue Relic Hunter

Rogue Relic Hunter

Oct 3, 2016
Virginia Colony
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
They both appear to be early 1800s.... possibly late 1700s. The small one is a cuff button. Any back mark on it under the crud? If it has a back mark its definitely early 1800s.

Thanks. The LARGE button has a UP and a NC visible, raised lettering. The front has some decorative markings. No lettering visible. Working on the small button next.

FullSizeRender.jpg

IMG_4935.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4927.JPG
    IMG_4927.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 113

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That one actually looks like the back of a two piece button. That would make it more recent. Like 1840 or later. Th UP was likely part of a word. Maybe superior?... Not sure about the NC but my guess would also be part of a larger word.

OP
OP
Rogue Relic Hunter

Rogue Relic Hunter

Oct 3, 2016
Virginia Colony
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That one actually looks like the back of a two piece button. That would make it more recent. Like 1840 or later. Th UP was likely part of a word. Maybe superior?... Not sure about the NC but my guess would also be part of a larger word.

I am a watch guy also. I have a serious set of magnifier glasses with a light. I cannot see any other letters and those are raised letters. IMOP they were the only letters, really. So, we have UP and NC with a line over it. i need do some research, maybe that means a specific button company of something. I could be wrong, but strange the others would be worn to notta and leaving those raised like that. I appreciate your feedback. Maybe others will chime in also.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I can’t tell if it’s corrosion, but that one looks like a two-piece that’s been squished. I’ve been tricked myself on those. The other looks like a marked back flat button, thicker, likely 1820-1840 but certainly not colonial.

OP
OP
Rogue Relic Hunter

Rogue Relic Hunter

Oct 3, 2016
Virginia Colony
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I can’t tell if it’s corrosion, but that one looks like a two-piece that’s been squished. I’ve been tricked myself on those. The other looks like a marked back flat button, thicker, likely 1820-1840 but certainly not colonial.

are you talking about button #1, the small button, that may be two piece and squished? after cleaning the bigger button #2, i def see it as 1800s with the back markings. but, good finds nonetheless, shows me there is some old stuff in that random farm field I had been eyeballing for quite some time. thanks for the reply.

OP
OP
Rogue Relic Hunter

Rogue Relic Hunter

Oct 3, 2016
Virginia Colony
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

RelicMedic

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab pro find 35

Minelab Equinox 600

Minelab Excalibur II

Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with about 1820-40ish. I think the 'UP' is part of the word Superior and the 'NC' is probably 'NE' of the word Fine. You're in to the good stuff!

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
are you talking about button #1, the small button, that may be two piece and squished? after cleaning the bigger button #2, i def see it as 1800s with the back markings. but, good finds nonetheless, shows me there is some old stuff in that random farm field I had been eyeballing for quite some time. thanks for the reply.

The large one with the partial NE on the back looks like it has a corroded rim of a 2-piece. If I were holding it I could tell you for certain so I can only tell you what it looks like. And yes, of course they’re good finds. Keep at it, you’re most certainly on some old ground. Cheers

OP
OP
Rogue Relic Hunter

Rogue Relic Hunter

Oct 3, 2016
Virginia Colony
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I agree with about 1820-40ish. I think the 'UP' is part of the word Superior and the 'NC' is probably 'NE' of the word Fine. You're in to the good stuff!

Agreed. Evolution told me something similar below, and I doubted it until i did some research on back marking of buttons. SUPERIOR and FINE, you are prob right. I'll take it, means I am onto something in that farm field.

OP
OP
Rogue Relic Hunter

Rogue Relic Hunter

Oct 3, 2016
Virginia Colony
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The large one with the partial NE on the back looks like it has a corroded rim of a 2-piece. If I were holding it I could tell you for certain so I can only tell you what it looks like. And yes, of course they’re good finds. Keep at it, you’re most certainly on some old ground. Cheers

thanks Scrappy. headed back out there in the morning. need cross the James River to get there. hit it again. best of luck to you also!

OP
OP
Rogue Relic Hunter

Rogue Relic Hunter

Oct 3, 2016
Virginia Colony
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
thanks. headed back to that area next weekend to see what i scan tweak out.

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Neat button finds, I like the 'Poll' option here.
no room on #2 for the word superior, likely 'SUPERFINE' another early 19th C quality mark,
At first glance the Pic below FRONT of button (pic below) - Ornate pattern visible.

had me thinking a 'Dished' type one piece cast pewter, which of course is Colonial era, but coloration and shank differ, I was hoping to give you the colonial thumbs up. HH to You All !!

OP
OP
Rogue Relic Hunter

Rogue Relic Hunter

Oct 3, 2016
Virginia Colony
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Neat button finds, I like the 'Poll' option here.
no room on #2 for the word superior, likely 'SUPERFINE' another early 19th C quality mark,
At first glance the Pic below FRONT of button (pic below) - Ornate pattern visible.

had me thinking a 'Dished' type one piece cast pewter, which of course is Colonial era, but coloration and shank differ, I was hoping to give you the colonial thumbs up. HH to You All !!

thanks for the reply. if you look at the spacing where the letters are, it is too much to be SUPERFINE as one word, maybe SUPER FINE as two words? even that, there would be a large space between SUPER and FINE. what do you think?

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
thanks for the reply. if you look at the spacing where the letters are, it is too much to be SUPERFINE as one word, maybe SUPER FINE as two words? even that, there would be a large space between SUPER and FINE. what do you think?
Agreed, most likely 'Super Fine', and not 'Super Fly', that's found on buttons of a significantly later vintage:laughing9: :BangHead:

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
??? COLONIAL BUTTONS ???

BUTTON #1

Button #1. Small. Found with the XP DEUS on the other side of the James River, 25 November 2017.

Shank still intact on other side (see bottom pic). Clad dime for size.

View attachment 1519709

BACK of button (pic below) - No Letters visible. Is that a flattened shank?

View attachment 1519774

View attachment 1519712

BUTTON #2

Button #2. Large. Found with the XP DEUS on the other side of the James River, 25 November 2017

Shank still intact on other side (see bottom). Clad dime for size.

View attachment 1519705

FRONT of button (pic below) - Ornate pattern visible.

View attachment 1519773

BACK of button (pic below) - Letters "UP" and "NC" visible, appear to be raised lettering.

View attachment 1519768

View attachment 1519704
GREAT pictures . Is there any writting on the back you can make out ?

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree with most here, early to mid 1800’s.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread