An Awesome Day At the Silver House- Silver Dimes, Possible 1700's Buckle, Relics

VTColonialDigger

Oct 13, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went back to the "Silver House" (A nickname for a house I always find silver at) today and it did not disappoint!
The first two good finds were this 1830's button and a newer type skeleton key. The button surprised me because I was not expecting an early 1800's button at an 1870's house.
oldbutton&key.jpg

The next find was this really ornate pendent. It may have had a stone in it at one time.
brasspendent.jpg

This find I got really excited about. I have seen buckles like this being called "batwing" buckles, and them being dated to the 18th Century. I found this a little over a foot from the road- which makes me think that there is a possibility it may be from the 1700's. Just as a reference... My town was officially founded in 1784. By 1800 there were 1,066 people living in my town. What do you folks think about the age of this buckle? Any help with aging it would be greatly appreciated!

possiblebatwingbuckle.jpg
I found the piece of iron in the same hole as the buckle. I thinking it may be the tongue from the buckle.

The thing I found next I thought was pretty cool- A two dollar "Tooney" coin from Canada!
coinsdec.1st2017.jpg
I also dug a 1918 Wheat Penny and a 1949 Nickel.

The next two finds were the reason I call this place the "Silver House" The first silver was a 1918 Merc! I was exited to find this but when I walked a few more feet, got a similar signal, dug the signal and saw that it was another silver dime, I was even more excited! It turned out to be a 1915 Barber Dime, which was even better:hello2:! This is the oldest silver coin I have found at this site and only my second Barber ever!
barberandmercfront.jpg
barberandmercback.jpg

This is the best day I have had in a while!

GL&HH!

VTColonialDigger

Upvote 14

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on some excellent finds. There always seems to be a debate about the age of these buckles. I've found them at a lot of older sites but most of those sites endured well into the 1800s. Some say those buckles are 1700s, others say 1820-1840 ish.

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds. Ive never found that type of buckle. It has that early colonial look to it but the consensus seemss to be no earlier than 1800ish

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well played on the silver and the great looking buckle. The "Toonie" must been a bit of a surprise, probably worth about $1.40 with the exchange. :)

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome finds- Congrats!!

-- Jeff --

OP
OP
VTColonialDigger

VTColonialDigger

Oct 13, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks everyone!

Thanks Evolution and toasted for helping age the buckle!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread