Unbelievable! 1785 Nova Constellatio dug + Scarce variety + Live Dig!

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I’m still a bit shaky. Actually in the live dig you can see my hand start shaking the minute I realize what I had dug, lol.

I’ve been clearing out a cellar hole lately and went there this morning for my second round of gut-busting stone removal. The first day had good results with a shoe buckle frag and some iron scissors, so I decided to commit my winter to a complete excavation. Here’s day 1 View attachment 1522484

Today I took a “before” picture even though I’d done some removal already. Here’s how it looked

View attachment 1522486

I spent a good 2-3 hours removing stones and grooming the dirt for detecting but hadn’t had any luck besides square nails and cauldron fragments. I was beginning to feel quite dejected after removing a ton (no kidding) of rock and finding zero non-ferrous targets when I got a pretty decent signal. That’s when things got weird...

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1512334026.458155.jpg

And here it is...

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1512324371.583380.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1512324390.103101.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1512324398.855403.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1512324413.106943.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1512324426.457423.jpg
It actually looks like an off-strike on top of everything else. Here’s a guide for Identification

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1512324650.653274.jpg

The video says it all but I must say it was quite a wonderful surprise to dig a copper, much less a transitional piece in good condition. Here’s an “after” pic of the cellar hole from 3 hours of work ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1512324334.878535.jpg

This is my second Nova and I now have two Scarce varieties!

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1512324624.018278.jpg

Here they are together

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1512324894.302257.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1512324904.503779.jpg

I left after that find,but I’ll surely be back soon. Remember, you never know what’ll be in that next hole so always keep at it. Enjoy, and good hunts!

Steve

Last edited:
Upvote 54

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steve - A big congrats to you on a hard won but totally worth it Nova Constellatio copper. Your post and video provides inspiration for my own cellar hole dig over the winter. I find that some cellar holes can be a bust, but when they pay off, they pay off big! To get a pre-Federal issued coin in such well-preserved condition should provide encouragement for further digging so good luck! Field recovered coppers are usually in miserable condition, but as you know, coppers recovered from the woods, especially when dug from a deep celler hole, is another matter. Now go get a Chain Cent!

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
That one came out beautiful, but I have to admit I was cringing at those one handed jabs with the digger. You have great experience and even better pinpointing skills. Wow, great coin!

Actually, in hindsight knowing what it was, I cringed a bit too watching the video. I always try to dig shallower and loosen the soil but mistakes can happen. The thing about this target was I’d been digging false irons for three hours and was almost figuring this one was a falsie too. Phew

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Your an animal I have a couple cellar holes near me, it's also along a waterway that is choked out with green briers and other bramble. I still need to ask the farmer if it's ok to go "scrappy" on it! I guess I'm the only one who thinks this is a banner find? Seems like French gold coins and Nova Constellatio coins are not good enough for Tnets banner? Oh well we know what banner is, congrats buddy, your a hard worker wish I had been there with you when you found it. I'm feeling like I was at this hole with you just recently?

My ol buddy Brad. Thanks for the banner nod but I have doubts a second Nova would go banner (although this one is slightly rarer). Lol

And yeah, that would have been a pisser having you there for the Nova pull. Either way, let’s grab that bulldozer of yours and bust down some briars!

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow buddy! Sorry I had a crazy weekend at work and missed your call. Those look amazing and that’s quite a feat to put two of those beauties in your collection. If they were toast it would be an amazing accomplishment....to get them in that condition is just incredible. I would keep on clearing that spot my friend. That’s how I found my eagle on cannon button. Just ask Bradley Harbin lol. Super psyched for you man. Hope there’s more killer coins hidden in that dirt. If moving a ton gets you that I’d move a mountain

Haha, well I though who better to call than the last person I called when I found a Nova. And I do seem to remember Old Man Harbin slinking over to that nice spot you cleared and getting shooed away! Hahaa Classic! Cheers bud

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Man that is a beauty! What method did you use to clean it? Just dry with a toothpick? Wow

Also, I voted banner on this! Unbelievable condition!

I cleaned it dry with a toothpick, followed by a final quick bath in cold peroxide to loosen some hard-caked dirt I was afraid would loosen the patina.

Then acetone and renaissance wax

And thanks for the banner vote.

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on your second Nova, and from the same site which is a crazy coincidence. That coin, along with a Fugio is high on my wish list. Now what do the mods do with two banner worthy Novas in the space of a week?

That’s a good question Steve. I don’t expect my Nova to go banner especially after I already had one up there. PA dirt’s is in real nice shape so why not his. He already has my vote

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Huge congrats on the second one man and awesome video... I was laughing watching it. :occasion14:

It's true! While you were clearing stuff out, I tried to come in and detect the freshly open area, but was quickly shooed away. :laughing7:

Thanks OMH! I’m glad that video gave you a few laughs. I do remember the “Buttongate” when you accidentally wandered to that miraculously cleared spot none of us had seen before. Hahahahaha!

cheffer

Sep 17, 2004
Western Mass
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Fisher 1275 LTD, Fisher 1265, Fisher 1270, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Outstanding! Some real rarities in the forum this week, as much as I've ALWAYS wanted to find a gold coin, in some ways a beautiful copper (or two) is a much more interesting find. Especially early US, I always think about who carried them. Congrats on your hard work and amazing recovery.

Steve

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks OMH! I’m glad that video gave you a few laughs. I do remember the “Buttongate” when you accidentally wandered to that miraculously cleared spot none of us had seen before. Hahahahaha!

Oh, it wasnt accidental! I saw Abe clearing a beautiful spot and it looked like a good place to hunt. I figured Abe and I could team up.... he could clear the brush while I detected the cleared area. :laughing7: I didn't really, but we joked about it. After all, I was poppin pewters from the trash dump area and convinced Abe to come join in.

TheGreatNorth

Sep 6, 2015
Southern Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATGOLD w/every coil..
GArrett ACE250
Garrett Pinpointer
CTX3030 mostly
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh man, my collection is out of control and my wife is loosing her mind. Here’s just one of my cabinets, not to mention wall displays. View attachment 1522984

Wow... that is a hell of a spread Scrappy! There should be a thread on here showing everyone’s “trophy case”! (Maybe there is?) Absolutely amazing!

You’ve inspired me to excavate my oldest site, a small cellar we have pulled 20+ buttons, 9 silvers and 2 coppers including a Connecticut. Gotta be more goodies and obviously the backbreaking work can potentially lead to phenomenal results!

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow ! that's all to say..

EccentricInTexas

Jan 14, 2013
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 11DD coil 11x15DD coil 6DD coil
Schiebel AN-19/2,
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro,
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome Finds!!! I'd hunt that place with a fine tooth comb!!!

can_slaw

Nov 10, 2017
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
ACE 400, ACE 300, TESORO COMPADRE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All i can say is Wow! i learn so much about dug items by looking at what others have found. This type of coin is a bucket lister I did not even know existed. Absolutely gorgeous!!

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Now you're just rubbing it in! Awesome job clearing that site so far.... obviously worth it

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TreasureNet.com mobile app

And I texted my good buddy Joey when I found it! Rubbing it in was a must bro. Hahaha. But hell yes this place is worth the digging. I’ll be at it allllll winter

Last edited:
OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
That is incredible 2!! Congratulations

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s funny you say that. One night a few months ago I was sitting on the couch looking at my 1st Nova and thought, “I’ll never find another one of these”.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread