Date Nail Hunting

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went out hunting for some date nails in some of the usual spots. I continued down the fence line I had found a bunch in previously, and found 17 more today, including one I left behind. Afterwards I checked out another one of the corrals out here and found 9 more nails, including two I left behind. One was a nice 1929 but for some reason it would not budge! Anyway, here they are. Mostly 1930s. Thanks for looking.
IMG_0060.JPG IMG_0058.JPG

Upvote 12

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are awesome! I've never even heard of dated nails before. What a cool piece of history!

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was the fence built out of old telephone poles or crossties?

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job my friend you always have some great and interesting finds. Its great no winter for you can you send some sun Ill pay shipping LOL Good job Tommy

OP
OP
Old Pueblo

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dated nail? Huh?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes. They're from the Southern Pacific Railroad. Each one of those old wooden ties they used had a date nail pounded into for record keeping purposes. Every so often the RR ties would have to be replaced, and the date nail told the RR work crews when the tie was made and treated.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where on the ties are they driven? Because I've never seen one on a tie down this way. The only ones that I've seen were on old power poles.

OP
OP
Old Pueblo

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It depends. Larger and smaller ones seem to be at one end, in the space between the tie plate and the end of the tie. The medium sized head nails are always in the middle, but usually close to one of the tie plates. Most RR stopped using them about 1970, from what I understand, so you need to find old ties.

JamesR1964

Jul 11, 2015
Eastern Long Island NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Radio shack special, Bounty Hunter 505, Whites Treasure Master, Garret Carrot pro pointer. Whites V3i added 11/3/15Whites Surf Dual Field PI added 5/5/16 - 2/17 Etrac added 11/16 Whites Beach Hunter 3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You do learn something new every day. Thank you for sharing them.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They were used when section crews would replace all the ties and rail. That was way back when, stopping in the 70's could be right, but I'm thinking earlier than that. You might still find them on branch lines, or on old track no longer used out there somewhere. I at one time would pull some, and I gave them all away, along with battery oil bottles that MIGHT still be found around where signal's used to be. At one time there might be a "section crew" maintaining about 10 to 15 miles of track, with housing and family's living with them, of then there would be another section crew with housing and family's etc. It was all jointed rail then, if I remember about 33' in length, whereas now on "main line" they come in 1/4 mile pieces, (or "sticks" ) Date nails are cool, and there are different types, depending on what rail road it was. As far as fence post, ranchers and farmers loved them, used that way, they could pretty much last forever. Nice collection "Old Pueblo". Spent time working on Navajo steel gangs in the mid 80's in your area, loved wandering around in the desert looking for stuff.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome nail finds, congratulations! :occasion14:

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man do the date nail fairies sprinkle their pixie dust on you !! Congrats !!!!

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for sharing I have never heard of a dated nail before.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread