🥇 BANNER BUCKET LISTER!! LESS THAN 100 KNOWN!! $5 GOLD HALF EAGLE DUG!!

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800 & Makro Multi Kruzer, the rest are collecting dust...
Tom(CA) and I have been working a site that we found from hard work and research and it's produced several 1850's - 1860's seated coins, and some rogue early 1900's coins, as well as a variety of period relics.

We tried to get one more trip in before Old Man Winter completely shut us down, and it did in fact shut us down, but not before I finally, got something I've been looking for for a long time, and after watching others find them over the years, I was starting to think it would never happen.

Well it finally happened, and it turned out to be a good one, an 1865 San Francisco minted Liberty Half Eagle!! :headbang:

Here she is out of the hole:

27064298169_51fa434aba_b.jpg

Here she is rinsed off:

27064347569_83a74697de_c.jpg

38841188751_abec3edf20_z.jpg

Here's a video of the hunt:

Here's a bit of background on the coin from PCGS:

Less than 100 known, Mintage: 27,612

Although the mintage of the 1865-S is quite a bit higher than the mintages of the S Mint Half Eagles from 1858 to 1864, it compares in overall rarity to the 1858-S, 1860-S and 1863-S and is only slightly less rare than the others. Almost all known examples of this date are well worn with VF and lower being all one can expect to find. The 1865-S ranks second in the entire $5 series according to average grade and I do not know of a specimen that would grade better than EF. The very few specimens that I have seen were rather softly struck and the mintmark was always quite weak.

Thanks for looking, hopefully the next one comes easier :icon_scratch:

Upvote 158

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
banner remember Humphrey Bogart in the treasure of the siearra madre thats me grats again

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using TreasureNet.com mobile app

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
"So that it's not just the starting audio signal, but also the dig, the pinpoint, the reveal, etc...."

I'm probably the wrong person to be commenting on the way videos are made and why somethings stand out. So I'm just wondering why does it take 20+ times going over the same target looking at the screen(or not)before actually digging? I not be patient enough to watch this continuous beep-beep-beep-beeping over & over again achieving what really, it taking away from the actual excitement of the retrieval.

Just my thoughts on that one. Great target, Great recovery, once in a lifetime find -Congrats once again.

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a fantastic find! You sure know how to finish the season!!

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What an incredible find!!! I dream of digging a gold coin one day!!!! This is a BANNER find in my book!!!!

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy SH@#!! I would have messed myself if I'd seen that come out of the hole. Amazing!! :hello2::notworthy::headbang::occasion14:

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frickin fantastic!!!!!! Congrats !!!! :headbang: :occasion14:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wondering what machine you were swinging when you found it and what the vdi numbers were :occasion14:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I'm probably the wrong person to be commenting on the way videos are made and why somethings stand out. So I'm just wondering why does it take 20+ times going over the same target looking at the screen(or not)before actually digging? I not be patient enough to watch this continuous beep-beep-beep-beeping over & over again achieving what really, it taking away from the actual excitement of the retrieval.

Good question. And the answer is that when hobbyists find themselves at differing goodie/tally results, IN THE SAME EXACT LOCATIONS with the SAME EXACT MACHINES, they might find themselves asking "what is he hearing that I'm not ?" And such is the appeal to capture the audio, the ID flicker TID screen readouts, etc.....

It's kind of like how half the fun of sports-fishing is the actual process of out-smarting the lunker bass or trout. Eg.: he's seeing your lure ......... does he fall for it, etc.... So too is it with trying to ferret out a signal from a sea-of-other signals.

Although , in this case, at this site, there was probably nothing spectacular or difficult on the signal. But still, to have the before/during/after effect, beats the heck out of a still shot of "here's what I found" pix.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Just wondering what machine you were swinging when you found it and what the vdi numbers were :occasion14:

If you watch the video, you can see his machine. The logo, and view of the machine. And for other signals, he pans to the target signal on his screen.

However: For the gold coin , he did not get a "before" shot of that. But he describes that in narration of the reveal. And text though. I'd have liked to have seen the "before" shot of that too. But it was one that he didn't get on a "before" shot, in that one case. Same for my seated dime. I was making decisions on when to turn the camera on, vs "oh this is probably just another bullet shell" type snap decisions.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on such a rare one. Amazing the silver and gold still coming out of those gold fields in the form of coins!

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW! that is a find of a life time...

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok folks. It's the bottom of the ninth in game seven of the World Series. Cal Cobra at the plate down by three runs with the bases loaded and a full count. The pitcher delivers a heater over the plate! CRACK! HOLY COW!!! It's OUTTA' HERE!!! A walk off Grand Slam of a find. Fine job on the research and recovery of a DREAM coin. The stuff we fantasize about as little kids and grown adults. You just got to live your dream. How does it feel mate? Banner............

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow. Just...WOW!!!!!!!! 😱 Sincere congrats on an awesome find! 🙌

Sent from my HTC Desire 510 using TreasureNet.com mobile app