Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
Like Tree481Likes

Thread: BUCKET LISTER!! LESS THAN 100 KNOWN!! $5 GOLD HALF EAGLE DUG!!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Mar 2016
    985 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Cal_Cobra View Post
    If I get it slabbed, I'll make a follow-up post with the pics

I've often wondered how many cans or other containers of coins are buried at these old sites. They didn't have banks, and from diary and newspaper reports of these western frontier sites, there were more scammers than there were honest people at these sites. I guess the outlaw type just tended to gravitate to untamed, lawless frontier lands where they could con and scam with ease amidst the confusion.

That said, what were people doing with their hard earned money, aside from gambling, boozing and red lighting it away? Anyone that managed to amass any type of savings must've hidden it, and how many of those hidden caches were never retrieved for whatever reason? We'll never know, but they are out there. I guess it could pay to dig all large iron hits, I typically do it because they false into conductive range, and although they tend to be crumby signals, I still typically dig anything that creeps into the conductive range at these old sites.
    I would venture to say there are MANY lost savings accounts. Although there were no banks, occasionally there would be an honest business man that would be widely trusted to hold gold for people. Back in those days, the pants men wore did not have pockets like we do now. They carried their money in leather satchels or pouches, sometimes around their neck/under their shirt (out of view). I have read accounts that it didn't take much gold coin to leave your chest black and blue after a days ride.

I'm sure you are already, but I'd spend some time pondering how that coin was lost. Is there any evidence of heavy equipment having been run in that area? Smashed flat cans is a good indicator. Maybe look at Google Earth for signs...Could it be part of a larger stash that got scattered, perhaps across several hundred yards? Brush clearing, fire fighting, road/trail building, farming...
    I'm jealous, not just of your coin, but the locations you guys discover. I want in!
    Last edited by IMAUDIGGER; Dec 07, 2017 at 04:43 PM.
    Cal_Cobra and A2coins like this.
    All treasures found with permission on private property or on active mining claims.

Jan 2013
    1557 times
    Simply an awesome find. You sir are getting a standing ovation. Banner

us
    King

Nov 2017
    Michigan
    White's DFX
    14 times
    Put your detector down and enjoy the winter. You can't end the season any better than that. Congratulations.
    Cal_Cobra, A2coins and Underwonder like this.

us
    Clint

Jan 2015
    North Carolina
    XP Deus with 11”coil, MI-6, Ace350
    433 times
    Metal Detecting
    That’s an insane coin! Congratulations to you sir. Um, Have you stopped shaking yet?
    Trump accomplished something other presidents have never done....he drove the left totally nanners!

us
    Oct 2008
    Northern California
    Fisher F75 LTD, Tek Omega, Garrett AT-Pro & Minelab E-trac
    794 times
    Banner Finds (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by IMAUDIGGER View Post
    I would venture to say there are MANY lost savings accounts. Although there were no banks, occasionally there would be an honest business man that would be widely trusted to hold gold for people. Back in those days, the pants men wore did not have pockets like we do now. They carried their money in leather satchels or pouches, sometimes around their neck/under their shirt (out of view). I have read accounts that it didn't take much gold coin to leave your chest black and blue after a days ride.

I'm sure you are already, but I'd spend some time pondering how that coin was lost. Is there any evidence of heavy equipment having been run in that area? Smashed flat cans is a good indicator. Maybe look at Google Earth for signs...Could it be part of a larger stash that got scattered, perhaps across several hundred yards? Brush clearing, fire fighting, road/trail building, farming...
    I'm jealous, not just of your coin, but the locations you guys discover. I want in!
    We've detected this site several times, and nothing like this has been found there before. Of course after I dug the coin, I spiraled out and in hopes of others - lol Matter of fact, for a second I thought I heard another sound in the hole the gold coin came from....but it was just ground noise messing with me - lol

I do have some thoughts on where to detect the next time we hunt this site, but who knows, most of making good finds is location for sure, with a bit of luck thrown in, and a lot of hard work and determination. I've watched my hunting buddy dig three gold coins now, and this was my first, so I guess that makes him more lucky then most

us
    Oct 2008
    Northern California
    794 times
    Banner Finds (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass View Post
    Simply an awesome find. You sir are getting a standing ovation. Banner
    Thank you, I definitely appreciate it

us
    Oct 2008
    Northern California
    794 times
    Banner Finds (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by King Canslaw View Post
    Put your detector down and enjoy the winter. You can't end the season any better than that. Congratulations.
    Thanks! The irony was, I found it about 20 minutes or so into our first hunt. I was thinking to myself afterwards that my work was done, I could go sit in the car the rest of the trip, but naahhhhhh what if there were other good things to be found - lol

us
    Oct 2008
    Northern California
    794 times
    Banner Finds (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by the_mad_cladder View Post
    That’s an insane coin! Congratulations to you sir. Um, Have you stopped shaking yet?
    Thanks! Every time I look at it

us
    Apr 2015
    Bremerton
    Garret at max
    17 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Congrats!!!!!I have not found a gold coin yet, but I will never give up. That is awesome, good job!
    A2coins likes this.

us
    Nov 2012
    Nashville
    Minelab x-Terra 505
    4729 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    FANDAMNTASTIC!!! Congrats on such a stellar find,she is beautiful!
    A2coins likes this.
    "What if it's not just another pull tab?" - Lance

“Fancy some lemonade Lance?” - Sheila

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    7830 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Well since coily-girl bumped it up with the 130th atteboy, I'll make it #131 : Did you see , the post from the fellow who just found the cache of 11 gold coins (a purse or pocket-spill or something): He offered to trade you all 11, for the single key-date rare gold coin of yours. I'm sure he was joking, but .... just goes to show: You did the bucket lister in style !
    A2coins and Cal_Cobra like this.
    Metal detecting is my one worldy vice!

Charter Member

Apr 2003
    Alberta
    Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
    4047 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Cal_Cobra View Post
    Tom(CA) and I have been working a site that we found from hard work and research and it's produced several 1850's - 1860's seated coins, and some rogue early 1900's coins, as well as a variety of period relics.

We tried to get one more trip in before Old Man Winter completely shut us down, and it did in fact shut us down, but not before I finally, got something I've been looking for for a long time, and after watching others find them over the years, I was starting to think it would never happen.

Well it finally happened, and it turned out to be a good one, an 1865 San Francisco minted Liberty Half Eagle!!

Here she is out of the hole:

Here she is rinsed off:

Here's a video of the hunt:

Here's a bit of background on the coin from PCGS:

Less than 100 known, Mintage: 27,612

Although the mintage of the 1865-S is quite a bit higher than the mintages of the S Mint Half Eagles from 1858 to 1864, it compares in overall rarity to the 1858-S, 1860-S and 1863-S and is only slightly less rare than the others. Almost all known examples of this date are well worn with VF and lower being all one can expect to find. The 1865-S ranks second in the entire $5 series according to average grade and I do not know of a specimen that would grade better than EF. The very few specimens that I have seen were rather softly struck and the mintmark was always quite weak.

Thanks for looking, hopefully the next one comes easier
    Amazingly beautiful find, congratulations!!

All the best,

Lanny
    Cal_Cobra likes this.
    Nothin' quite as fun as chasin' nugget gold! http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/me...mysteries.html

us
    Aug 2009
    Excal_1000 / Whites VX3 / Shadow 2-Troy / & Infinium L-S/Garrett / AT GOLD
    223 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Cheers to your Half Eagle! It's on my bucket list!!
    2016 TOTALS

Son was born in 2015 so no detecting this year yet, 0r 2016, 0r 2017 'very little hunting!

0 GOLD
    0 SILVER (925)
    0 Wheaties - 19...

favorite quote -

I AM A GREAT BELIEVER IN LUCK AND I FIND THE HARDER I WORK THE MORE I HAVE OF IT! - THOMAS JEFFERSON

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...MG_3461WP1.jpg
    1st - Keep Wife and Son Happy -2nd go HUNT!

us
    Matt

Feb 2016
    MD
    Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 250/ Garrett Pro Pointer AT
    213 times
    Absolutely amazingly awesome!!! That coin isn’t only rare, but in amazing condition!! Cheers to that!

us
    Jul 2013
    Midwest
    CTX 3030, Tesoro Silver Umax
    816 times
    Its a beauty!! Congrats on the great find!! WTG !!
    Cal_Cobra likes this.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links