Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
Like Tree395Likes

Thread: BUCKET LISTER!! LESS THAN 100 KNOWN!! $5 GOLD HALF EAGLE DUG!!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Mar 2016
    836 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Cal_Cobra View Post
    If I get it slabbed, I'll make a follow-up post with the pics

I've often wondered how many cans or other containers of coins are buried at these old sites. They didn't have banks, and from diary and newspaper reports of these western frontier sites, there were more scammers than there were honest people at these sites. I guess the outlaw type just tended to gravitate to untamed, lawless frontier lands where they could con and scam with ease amidst the confusion.

That said, what were people doing with their hard earned money, aside from gambling, boozing and red lighting it away? Anyone that managed to amass any type of savings must've hidden it, and how many of those hidden caches were never retrieved for whatever reason? We'll never know, but they are out there. I guess it could pay to dig all large iron hits, I typically do it because they false into conductive range, and although they tend to be crumby signals, I still typically dig anything that creeps into the conductive range at these old sites.
    I would venture to say there are MANY lost savings accounts. Although there were no banks, occasionally there would be an honest business man that would be widely trusted to hold gold for people. Back in those days, the pants men wore did not have pockets like we do now. They carried their money in leather satchels or pouches, sometimes around their neck/under their shirt (out of view). I have read accounts that it didn't take much gold coin to leave your chest black and blue after a days ride.

I'm sure you are already, but I'd spend some time pondering how that coin was lost. Is there any evidence of heavy equipment having been run in that area? Smashed flat cans is a good indicator. Maybe look at Google Earth for signs...Could it be part of a larger stash that got scattered, perhaps across several hundred yards? Brush clearing, fire fighting, road/trail building, farming...
    I'm jealous, not just of your coin, but the locations you guys discover. I want in!
    Last edited by IMAUDIGGER; Dec 07, 2017 at 04:43 PM.
    Cal_Cobra likes this.
    All treasures found with permission on private property or on active mining claims.

Jan 2013
    1516 times
    Simply an awesome find. You sir are getting a standing ovation. Banner
    Cal_Cobra likes this.

us
    King

Nov 2017
    Michigan
    White's DFX
    7 times
    Put your detector down and enjoy the winter. You can't end the season any better than that. Congratulations.
    Cal_Cobra likes this.

us
    Bill

Jan 2015
    North Carolina
    XP Deus, MI-6, Ace 350
    303 times
    Metal detecting, artifact hunting, some prospecting, ect
    Thatís an insane coin! Congratulations to you sir. Um, Have you stopped shaking yet?
    Cal_Cobra likes this.
    How is it the nfl won't let the players honor911 victims but will allow the flag to be treated like toilet paper?

us
    Oct 2008
    Northern California
    Fisher F75 LTD, Tek Omega, Garrett AT-Pro & Minelab E-trac
    696 times
    Banner Finds (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by IMAUDIGGER View Post
    I would venture to say there are MANY lost savings accounts. Although there were no banks, occasionally there would be an honest business man that would be widely trusted to hold gold for people. Back in those days, the pants men wore did not have pockets like we do now. They carried their money in leather satchels or pouches, sometimes around their neck/under their shirt (out of view). I have read accounts that it didn't take much gold coin to leave your chest black and blue after a days ride.

I'm sure you are already, but I'd spend some time pondering how that coin was lost. Is there any evidence of heavy equipment having been run in that area? Smashed flat cans is a good indicator. Maybe look at Google Earth for signs...Could it be part of a larger stash that got scattered, perhaps across several hundred yards? Brush clearing, fire fighting, road/trail building, farming...
    I'm jealous, not just of your coin, but the locations you guys discover. I want in!
    We've detected this site several times, and nothing like this has been found there before. Of course after I dug the coin, I spiraled out and in hopes of others - lol Matter of fact, for a second I thought I heard another sound in the hole the gold coin came from....but it was just ground noise messing with me - lol

I do have some thoughts on where to detect the next time we hunt this site, but who knows, most of making good finds is location for sure, with a bit of luck thrown in, and a lot of hard work and determination. I've watched my hunting buddy dig three gold coins now, and this was my first, so I guess that makes him more lucky then most
    [color=red] [b]
    Oldest Coin - 1776 Spanish 1 Reale
    Oldest Relic - Silver plated 1700's Colonial Buckle

us
    Oct 2008
    Northern California
    696 times
    Banner Finds (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass View Post
    Simply an awesome find. You sir are getting a standing ovation. Banner
    Thank you, I definitely appreciate it
    [color=red] [b]

us
    Oct 2008
    Northern California
    696 times
    Banner Finds (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by King Canslaw View Post
    Put your detector down and enjoy the winter. You can't end the season any better than that. Congratulations.
    Thanks! The irony was, I found it about 20 minutes or so into our first hunt. I was thinking to myself afterwards that my work was done, I could go sit in the car the rest of the trip, but naahhhhhh what if there were other good things to be found - lol
    [color=red] [b]

us
    Oct 2008
    Northern California
    696 times
    Banner Finds (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by the_mad_cladder View Post
    That’s an insane coin! Congratulations to you sir. Um, Have you stopped shaking yet?
    Thanks! Every time I look at it
    [color=red] [b]

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links