Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree78Likes

Thread: Gigantic Silver Candelabra!! Likely Looted By the NAZIs in WWII Krakow, Poland!!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    Kevin

Feb 2017
    FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
    Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
    5534 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Unbelievable recovery mate. Superb research on the origin of this amazing piece of silver. Another one of those finds we wish could tell us it's story. Great eye for snagging it from being recycled. You never know where treasure will turn up. You are a true treasure hunter in every right. Well done. And another banner vote from me.
    UnderMiner likes this.
    “This Is My Creed I believe first in God, the same God in which my ancestors believed. I believe in Jesus Christ and that he is my saviour. Second, I believe in the Constitution of the Republic of the United States of America, without interpretation, as it was written and meant to work. I have given my sacred oath “to protect and defend the Constitution of the United States of America against all enemies foreign and domestic.” I intend to fulfill that oath. Third, I believe in the family unit and, in particular, my family unit. I have sworn that I will give my life, if it is required, in defense of God, the Constitution, or my family. Fourth, I believe that any man without principles that he is ready and willing to die for at any given moment is already dead and is of no use or consequence whatsoever. William Cooper August 3, 1990”
    ― Milton William Cooper, Behold a Pale Horse

us
    Silver Coin Fiend

Apr 2014
    Charlotte
    XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
    10946 times
    Digging In Strangers Front Yards
    That’s a really unique find. If only it could tell us what it’s seen. Wow. Kind of humbling.
    UnderMiner likes this.

us
    Prospector

Jun 2008
    Northern Alabama
    Whites
    2529 times
    What can one say...it’s an amazing find!
    UnderMiner likes this.

jacdec1968

Feb 2014
    Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction, Az in the winter
    Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer, Lesch digger
    1783 times
    Amazing find and an amazing story. Congrats.
    UnderMiner likes this.

us
    Nov 2008
    long island ny
    Whites Prizm V, MX 5
    178 times
    I love your recoveries Underminer! Once again, amazing!
    UnderMiner likes this.

us
    The Urban Pirate

Jul 2014
    New York City
    Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250, Mark II, Pro-pointer
    4429 times
    Yar! There be treasure everywhere!
    Banner Finds (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Pueblo View Post
    Nice save! Did you find out what happened to Izrael Szekman? That piece may have a lot of value to the right person.
    All I know was he was living in Poland when the Germans invaded and he was already in his 70's. He was still making silver in 1939 but no more after the German invasion afterwards. Considering his age and his location during the invasion it is highly likely that he died at the hands of the Germans.
    Old Pueblo likes this.
    Let history be your treasure map .

us
    Mar 2017
    Arizona
    1574 times
    Quote Originally Posted by UnderMiner View Post
    All I know was he was living in Poland when the Germans invaded and he was already in his 70's. He was still making silver in 1939 but no more after the German invasion afterwards. Considering his age and his location during the invasion it is highly likely that he died at the hands of the Germans.
    I was thinking the same. If he has living descendants, they may be very interested in this.

Charter Member
    us
    Retired

Aug 2012
    Great Falls
    Radiodetection RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400 Minelab CTX 17 DD 6 & 10X5 DD Coiltek. GPZ 14 & 19 Coil JW Fisher Pulse 8X 5 & 16 coils
    4427 times
    Metal Detecting
    You could always check Interpol’s catalogue for stolen works of art and cultural property, as well as ICOM. So very little that was looted is listed, and many items that are listed without being cultural property often stay in the hands of the finder because of no known living kin. Cultural property however must be returned, and upon handing it over the reward is issued before it is taken out of your possession and the agency bills the rightful owners.

If you need assistance feel free to PM me, I just retired from the agency this past July but still have full login access to that part of the system. Worst that could happen is you find out that no details where ever stored on your item. Best case you find a great deal out about it and can down load all those documents.

That is the correct way to do it if you feel you need to know more or strongly suspect it being a spoil. The Incorrect way is calling your local, state or federal law enforcement agency with your suspicions and just handing it over. The US just barely passed the Bill back in November of 2016 in regards to such cases, but there is still not a program set up and they do not even start training to use the system until late 2018.

This means it would likely be lost in the system, and nothing would ever get done with it. It would be like placing it back in that scrap bin basically.
    RustyGold and TwoYewts like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by G.I.B. View Post
    I'm not an Idiot Whisperer. I can't help you any further with the math.

us
    Apr 2011
    Michigan
    Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus & BlissTool
    415 times
    Metal Detecting
    Just as most have already stated, amazing find. Even more kudos to you for the great detective work in finding out about the piece.

us
    Feb 2012
    Arkansas
    AT Pros
    141 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    just incredible

us
    Martiobarbuli

May 2012
    Illinois/Ohio
    White's
    648 times
    Superb discovery and very interesting history, great work on salvaging and researching that big hunk of treasure! Regarding the conjectural end of things, I'd apply Occam's Razor and just assume that it came over in the early 1920s with that wealthy Jewish family and may have been broken in the cargo hold after something fell on it, or years later in some other mundane accident. There is no particularly good reason that the silver wouldn't have been immediately melted and refined by the Germans instead of them bothering trying to repair and store it for half a decade, nor a particularly good reason for a G.I. to have hauled back that big awkward and broken piece of then-modern silver back when silver was worth well less than a dollar an ounce. Amazing recoveries like that Danzig mail wagon plaque are a bit less ambiguous, but since people often jokingly refer to New York City as the "Capital of Israel" for demographically obvious reasons I'd assume the piece enjoyed an altogether unremarkable existence before being tossed. That also means no bad Juju, so fully enjoy your treasure!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links