Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2016
San Diego California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I found this awesome Cylinder to a revolver near a Civil War skirmish site and a Civil War trail in San Diego California. Here is a little back story: In San Diego there were many Confederate sympathizers and in 1861 16 Confederate soldiers ran into some Union soldiers on there way to San Diego (Remember this was before San Diego was widely populated so if you saw a homestead near a river, which is where I found this, you would most likely stop to have a drink of water and rest) a small skirmish pursued but the Union ended up capturing the Confederates. I found this not far from the battle site. After looking over hundreds of different revolvers the only one that was a match was a Confederate .36 caliber revolver. ( you have to remember that Civil War relics are insanely hard to find in California so this is a amazing find for me) it was found over 14 inches deep.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1512601201.688070.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1512601201.688070.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 112
  • ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1512601226.404701.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1512601226.404701.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 97
  • ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1512601245.278183.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1512601245.278183.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 95
  • ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1512601277.622297.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1512601277.622297.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 91
  • ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1512601375.603904.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1512601375.603904.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 89
Upvote 27
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Cool relic recovery! :occasion14:

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool relic and backstory mate. Well done.:headbang:

AlabamaRelic

Jul 2, 2009
NW Alabama
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I found this awesome Cylinder to a revolver near a Civil War skirmish site and a Civil War trail in San Diego California. Here is a little back story: In San Diego there were many Confederate sympathizers and in 1861 16 Confederate soldiers ran into some Union soldiers on there way to San Diego (Remember this was before San Diego was widely populated so if you saw a homestead near a river, which is where I found this, you would most likely stop to have a drink of water and rest) a small skirmish pursued but the Union ended up capturing the Confederates. I found this not far from the battle site. After looking over hundreds of different revolvers the only one that was a match was a Confederate .36 caliber revolver. ( you have to remember that Civil War relics are insanely hard to find in California so this is a amazing find for me) it was found over 14 inches deep.
It looks like a Colt or one of it's clones.

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweeeeet !!! Congrats !!!!

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not disputing a skirmish took place but was it CW or Mexican/American, I was born and raised down in San Diego county(Julian) and know of a lot of Mexican /American battle sites, San Pasqual,La Mesa,Mule hill and San Gabriel. Couldn't it have been a pistol owned by a settler/or soldier from the south. Just another opinion Don't take offense at my questioning your find, I just never have heard of this skirmish and would love to learn.(Be Educated more about a history I have never heard.)(Fantastic find)

ArDirtSlinger

Mar 13, 2014
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP deus; MI-6 pinpointer, TRX pinpointer, Lesche digger, Lesche Sampson, Predator Piranha
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's exactly what I like to find!!!!!!!!! Congrats!!

OP
OP
hbru123

hbru123

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2016
San Diego California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am not disputing a skirmish took place but was it CW or Mexican/American, I was born and raised down in San Diego county(Julian) and know of a lot of Mexican /American battle sites, San Pasqual,La Mesa,Mule hill and San Gabriel. Couldn't it have been a pistol owned by a settler/or soldier from the south. Just another opinion Don't take offense at my questioning your find, I just never have heard of this skirmish and would love to learn.(Be Educated more about a history I have never heard.)(Fantastic find)

Awesome! It could have been owned by a settler, Kearny actually went right through there but they did not have percussion revolvers back then. It was more a capture than a skirmish (but I think a few shots were fired) also someone I know found more gun parts and eagle buttons there.

OP
OP
hbru123

hbru123

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2016
San Diego California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I actually did not know that a Civil War capture and trail was there until I got home and researched “Civil War in San Diego” there is actually a lot of good info about it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread