Ampeg 57 Mercury dump-pick

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Found this recently at our town recycle center ( we call it the dump), so I guess you would label this a dump-picking find. I was pretty surprised when I saw it and quickly loaded it in my car. For those not familiar with this type of thing, a vintage 1950's tube amp is quite desirable. This is a 1957 Ampeg Mercury M12 and is a rare one especially with the drizzled paint front and condition wise it is about excellent. Quite a rare find and worth a few dollars.

Attachments

• IMG_2008.jpg
    IMG_2008.jpg
    450.6 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_2010.jpg
    IMG_2010.jpg
    446 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_2005.jpg
    IMG_2005.jpg
    424.4 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_2015.jpg
    IMG_2015.jpg
    434.5 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Upvote 22

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find those are very collectible good save . Love the post

OP
OP
maine_Jim

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
You might also call this a "Jackson Pollock" amp with the drizzled paint front! Gotta love those old tube amps. You wouldn't believe some of the things I have found at this place. I could post something like this about once a month. Maybe there should be a section here for treasures found at the dump! Just another example is this, I once found an Acoustic Research AR-1 speaker there. Same way, just sitting there on the ground. I kept it for a few years until I had to sell it. I posted it on Craig's list and had offers come in from all over the world. Here is a link to one that is on ebay right now, not mine but similar...I should have waited a few years to sell it as the price of these have doubled since I sold mine!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Acoustic-R...370248?hash=item1a3b14d348:g:BsIAAOSwwrtZxBQ6

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a very collectible find. People in the music world will pay a very nice penny for that one.

gheenoe78

Nov 21, 2014
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow. That's about a $2,000 guitar amp you found there. Incredible. I'd love to find an old vintage amp at a thrift store, yard sale or junk pile some day.

neodetectorist

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2016
NE Ohio
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro W Stock coil, Fisher F2 W 8" Concentric and 9.5" NEL DD, XPointer pin pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice find.
I have a classic Ampeg Gemini II I believe is from 1967. Still have the original foot switch and old style reverb box using springs.
Cant beat the sound they produce. Like my amp, they are going for just under 500.00 if you can find them.
Surprised someone through it out.
If this was a guitar amp forum I would vote banner.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sweet find, congratulations! :occasion14:

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a friend who plays guitar, I will ask him sometime what he knows about that amp, but it certainly looks like a great one! Imagine the music to come out of those speakers during the birth of rock and roll, cool to think! Awesome find!!! The best music related thing that I found at my dump's swap building were some decent speakers and a John Lennon album. Your find is infinitely times cooler though, and worth many times more than anything that I have found there.

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find and even more awesome is the condition of the amp.

Congratulations!

2DC1D518-451D-4F4A-9D90-65E9025611CC.gif

OP
OP
maine_Jim

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
If this was a guitar amp forum I would vote banner.

Coins do seem to dominate the discussion here along with metal detecting. I like those hobbies and spend much more time on them than dump picking but I actually find a lot more treasure at our town dump than all my hobbies combined.

Maybe I'm just lucky and have a town dump where people toss out lots of interesting things. Among my many dump finds are a few coin finds including silver commemorative dollars, an Indian Cent collection on a 1930's coin board, a state quarter whitman folder that was full of quarters (really full? why?), a large cent on a silver chain, and strangest of all there once was a box that was full of both rolled coins and loose coins (about $100 worth). They were dirty, I just put them in a bucket with water and ammonia. After about 5 minutes I dumped out the water and after they were dry poured them through the coin sorter at my bank, no problem! People toss out bicycles if they have a flat tire...the list goes on and on!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread