Great Morning but disappointed

HillBilly244

May 4, 2013
Had an hour or so to go hunt this morning and got a permission at a mid 1800's house. I found my oldest coin in great shape and i hit it with my shovel, so disappointed in myself. I found a different type of civil war bullet i have never found before and a flat button from the early 1800's so i had a great day just mad at myself.

20171207_141349.jpg 20171207_141327.jpg 20171207_132842.jpg

Upvote 28

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ouch....though we have all done it, and if not we will have done it soon. No worries and congrats

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice coin. Think of it this way, there's probably no way you'd sell that coin so the ding doesn't really make any difference. That's how I'd look at it anyway. Congrats on some great finds. :occasion14:

OP
OP
HillBilly244

HillBilly244

May 4, 2013
Nice coin. Think of it this way, there's probably no way you'd sell that coin so the ding doesn't really make any difference. That's how I'd look at it anyway. Congrats on some great finds. :occasion14:

Your right, i would never sell it but it still bothers me,lol. Sometimes i get in a hurry and i need to slow down and be more careful especially at a house that old because you never know what you are going to find.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
That is still a super nice quarter and you could have done a LOT more damage to it.
Lesson learned and next seated will be rarer and just as nice or better condition.

HH ALL

the_mad_cladder

Jan 2, 2015
North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with all the coils, MI-6 pinpointer, Ace350 and Garrett pro pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
At least yours didn’t have a hole in it like mines. I wouldn’t care if I tapped every one I found as long as I’m finding them. Awesome finds, you are sure to dig more. Ps you can borrow my kids plastic shovel if you want. Buahahaba

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah , it happens - I tagged a Peace dollar , a Walking Liberty half dollar , and a Washington quarter .Nice find !

OP
OP
HillBilly244

HillBilly244

May 4, 2013
At least yours didn’t have a hole in it like mines. I wouldn’t care if I tapped every one I found as long as I’m finding them. Awesome finds, you are sure to dig more. Ps you can borrow my kids plastic shovel if you want. Buahahaba

Yeah, i might have to borrow that shovel,lol

neodetectorist

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2016
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro W Stock coil, Fisher F2 W 8" Concentric and 9.5" NEL DD, XPointer pin pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would not be disappointed. We have all done it. You recovered a few great finds.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would just keep telling myself and everyone else, that I found it that way !! That should help ease your pain. Congrats on a very nice coin.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the silver, and it hurts to do the dings and I still believe to dig wide and deep when it comes to digging something up. That only comes to mind when I did the same but much worse, I ripped off her chest!
P1010407.JPG

You could get the slab type holders where the little tab covers the ding, as is hidden. Just a thought(trying to ease the pain)Lol

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on the really nice quarter, and bullet. I have no seated coins, so that looks pretty good to me.

When I hit a coin, I claim that is was “resisting recovery”.

Best of luck to your sir.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the seated silver. Your bullet looks like it is a Spencer. Does it have a flat base?

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Give yourself some credit. How many coins have you dug up without hitting them?

Excellent finds!

rickb2202

Jan 30, 2015
nuevo mexico
Detector(s) used
whites dfx
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't hold it against your self. It's part of the game. Very nice recovery, keep up the good work !!!

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1853 was a popular year for Seated Quarters. Don't feel too bad with your ding. Mine was dug completely encrusted in some black crud. Only a few tiny peep holes where you could even see silver. I scrubbed the crap out of mine with a tooth brush and tooth paste to get it to this state and probably destroyed any value to the coin in the process. I figured who wants a black Seated Liberty Silver Quarter? Anyhow. Nice find. I think she looks marvelous!:love10:

001.jpg 004.jpg

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds, sorry about the nick now shake it off and rub some dirt on it :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread