Farmer's Tools Fell off His Wagon 100 Years Ago? Draw Knife, Scythe, Chisel & More!

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Farmer's Tools Fell off His Wagon 100 Years Ago? Draw Knife, Scythe, Chisel & More!

Going along a stone wall today and found a huge 39" scythe blade a couple of inches down. Good find, but it got better. About 10 feet away, I dug up a ton of hand tools! I think these puppies are old, probably close to 100 years or so. Most of them don't appear to be broken, so maybe they just fell off of a farmer's wagon back in the day.

The tools include a draw knife, chisel, file, large plane blade (I think), small saw blade and a few things I'm clueless on. Safe to say, my day was over when I found this spill! No way could I swing a coil and carry all this stuff. It was a real pain dragging all these relics through the woods, but there's no way I was leaving them behind.

Here's a few pics:

DSC07664.JPG DSC07669.jpg DSC07671.JPG DSC07673.JPG

Upvote 26

P.ALLEN

Jun 8, 2017
A2 Michigan
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Tesoro Compadre, Ace 250, CMS magnetics, Garrett pinpointer, Fiskars trenching spade.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That probably put a hurting on the person who lost them, that's a lot of good tools to loose, especially way back when. Very nice recovery, I bet you could restore that draw knife.

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats & Kudos on the recovery and actually taking them out of the woods. I am certain a lot of metal detectorists would have left them behind as "junk". I love every one of them. They should clean up nice and display well somewhere. Well done on toating these old relics out and sharing them with us.:icon_salut:

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys! Yup, I guess someone who wasn't a carpenter probably would have left them, but I think they're worth saving. The draw knife is definitely worth cleaning up.

I'll be going back tomorrow to look for more. Maybe his rifle fell off the back of the wagon as well. You never know...

Gene Mean

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2016
Central NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Equinox 800
Eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Love the old iron. Hope you find more out there! Bring a backpack for haulin'.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice saves. I have multiple walls in my barn that are barren. A little Electrolysis and Renaissance Wax and my barn walls would start to look pretty.
Congratulations and I hope you find the rifle.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome relic hunt! :occasion14:

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, guys! No luck today, but I only had a hour to hunt. Funny how you can find so much one day and jack squat the next day.

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bring a backpack for haulin'

Great idea! I should do that for my bottle hunts as well. Save wear and tear on my arms...

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really need to do some electrolysis on all the iron relics I've been finding lately. Maybe I'll ask for a battery charger for Christmas! Can't hurt to put it on my wish list.

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very cool finds FreeBird- Congrats!

-- Jeff --

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread