Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

Went out last week for a Thanksgiving marathon with Shangalang and Diggergirl (my wife). Her and I got to spend Thanksgiving together camping out at the dig site, and Shangalang came to visit and dig with us some. Along with lots of great finds for all of of us, little did I know that I'd leave the field with a Six Pound Turkey--and no, I'm not talking about the bird! Became swamped with work so I didn't get this posted until now. Glad to have everything cleaned and the cannonball in the tank :)

Here's the video:

The finds are too numerous to recount in a written form, so please watch the video I'll just show some photos from the field:

1848-O Seated Half Dime (beaten to death she's pretty to me)

IMG_1191.JPG IMG_1192.JPG

The center of a 3-piece button which (strangely enough) DiggerGirl found the rim of on a previous hunt. I think I'm gonna have it restored for her if possible. It's a University of the South (Sewanee) button! The center of it has a handshake and reads "Ecce Quam Bonum" in Latin. (Non-dug example pictured as well):

212_1465.JPG IMG_5711.JPG

A Civil War rivet from a Sword Belt rig:

212_1467.JPG

A silver Catholic medallion sticking out of the dirt:

212_1478.JPG

An Eagle "I" cuff button and a New York cuff button:

IMG_1187.JPG IMG_1188.JPG

Numerous old beads (Rosary, Mardi Gras, or Trade--but probably the first 2 options coming from this field). I got this nice big cobalt blue:

IMG_1190.JPG

An apothecary weight or coin weight:

IMG_1185.JPG IMG_1186.JPG

Diggergirl got a nice Spanish-style spur rowel and a Civil War era "pocket Saint" made out of lead that I'm pretty jealous of:

DGs finds1.JPG

I dug five old nickels, and for once all of them had dates :D 1870 Shield, 1916-D Buffalo, and 1901, 1904, and 1906 V Nickels.

IMG_1197.JPG IMG_1198.JPG IMG_1199.JPG IMG_1200.JPG IMG_1201.JPG

Numerous marbles, flat buttons, jeans buttons, glass buttons, baby doll legs and arms, some spur pieces and other interesting bits were dug.

I dug linked 1944 Philippine Occupation silver coins. We have found 3 others of these coins in this field and thought that they were perhaps souvenirs brought home from WWII--or buttons on a garment that was tossed out. This pair confirms that they were in fact a bracelet.

IMG_1196.JPG

And of course--my Six Pound baby which I flipped out of a deeep hole:

IMG_5623.JPG IMG_5625a.jpg

Here are some of DG and my finds. Missing are the iron finds, including the shell fragments I dug (which I think are Schenkl, but electrolysis will confirm).

DGs finds.JPG IMG_1183.JPG

I did have one wardrobe malfunction, which is par for the course for me. Luckily this time it was only a boot lace and not the butt of my pants.

:laughing7:

IMG_5627.JPG

Best Wishes and Happy Hunting,

Cane Bandits.jpg

The CaneField Bandits

Last edited:
Upvote 47
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great video and awesome finds! Love all the glass beads and the cannonball! The Saint and rowel are special pieces there! Way to go guys, keep it up!

Yeah, she always finds things that no one else has dug before. Time and time again it's true. I'll be digging V nickels all day and she gets something really cool. Was really pleased with the marathon Turkey Weekend Dig. Thanks for your reply, Dave!

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NICE DIGS! I found one of those Philippine's silvers back in the 80's. Grats!

Hello xr7ator, Was the one you dug also made into a bracelet, or was it unaltered?

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Tommy, I hope I can dig a KG soon too. Been forever since we've even dug a LC down here. I think they all hear us coming and burrow deeper in the ground :D
how about future detectorist everyones inside on thier phones no coins to lose col cry out loud

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using TreasureNet.com mobile app

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
One of the best videos I have seen on Tnet BB. Congrats on everything. The University of the South is still in Monteagle, TN & was started in 1857 by Gen. Leonardus Polk. I don't know anyone who has ever dug one here-much less in LA. WTG & what's the silver count? Record in 2017? HH, Q.

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome stuff Buck. You should carry all that silver around in a small leather pouch and just toss it at people when you want something. That's what they do in the movies. :laughing7: You always seem to be in the right place to find some goodies. Research pays off. Keep at it. :thumbsup:

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the nice finds and photo display! :occasion14:

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello All,

Went out last week for a Thanksgiving marathon with Shangalang and Diggergirl (my wife). Her and I got to spend Thanksgiving together camping out at the dig site, and Shangalang came to visit and dig with us some. Along with lots of great finds for all of of us, little did I know that I'd leave the field with a Six Pound Turkey--and no, I'm not talking about the bird! Became swamped with work so I didn't get this posted until now. Glad to have everything cleaned and the cannonball in the tank :)

Here's the video:

The finds are too numerous to recount in a written form, so please watch the video I'll just show some photos from the field:

1848-O Seated Half Dime (beaten to death she's pretty to me)

View attachment 1524166 View attachment 1524167

The center of a 3-piece button which (strangely enough) DiggerGirl found the rim of on a previous hunt. I think I'm gonna have it restored for her if possible. It's a University of the South (Sewanee) button! The center of it has a handshake and reads "Ecce Quam Bonum" in Latin. (Non-dug example pictured as well):

View attachment 1524168 View attachment 1524193

A Civil War rivet from a Sword Belt rig:

View attachment 1524169

A silver Catholic medallion sticking out of the dirt:

View attachment 1524170

An Eagle "I" cuff button and a New York cuff button:

View attachment 1524171 View attachment 1524172

Numerous old beads (Rosary, Mardi Gras, or Trade--but probably the first 2 options coming from this field). I got this nice big cobalt blue:

View attachment 1524173

An apothecary weight or coin weight:

View attachment 1524174 View attachment 1524175

Diggergirl got a nice Spanish-style spur rowel and a Civil War era "pocket Saint" made out of lead that I'm pretty jealous of:

View attachment 1524176

I dug five old nickels, and for once all of them had dates :D 1870 Shield, 1916-D Buffalo, and 1901, 1904, and 1906 V Nickels.

View attachment 1524177 View attachment 1524178 View attachment 1524179 View attachment 1524180 View attachment 1524181

Numerous marbles, flat buttons, jeans buttons, glass buttons, baby doll legs and arms, some spur pieces and other interesting bits were dug.

I dug linked 1944 Philippine Occupation silver coins. We have found 3 others of these coins in this field and thought that they were perhaps souvenirs brought home from WWII--or buttons on a garment that was tossed out. This pair confirms that they were in fact a bracelet.

View attachment 1524182

And of course--my Six Pound baby which I flipped out of a deeep hole:

View attachment 1524184 View attachment 1524186

Here are some of DG and my finds. Missing are the iron finds, including the shell fragments I dug (which I think are Schenkl, but electrolysis will confirm).

View attachment 1524189 View attachment 1524190

I did have one wardrobe malfunction, which is par for the course for me. Luckily this time it was only a boot lace and not the butt of my pants.

:laughing7:

View attachment 1524187

Best Wishes and Happy Hunting,

View attachment 1524188

The CaneField Bandits

Oh man. What a super nice variety of finds! It's like you raided a museum!

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the best videos I have seen on Tnet BB. Congrats on everything. The University of the South is still in Monteagle, TN & was started in 1857 by Gen. Leonardus Polk. I don't know anyone who has ever dug one here-much less in LA. WTG & what's the silver count? Record in 2017? HH, Q.

Thanks so much, my friend! After some research I think that the button was a 3 piece, slightly post-CW. I'm very happy to dig the center portion of it, and in keeping with our agreement between us three diggers it will go to DiggerGirl who found the first piece of the relic.

Silver count is at 40. 44 is our highest year ever. Either way we've had a great year so if we don't beat or tie, then I'm totally fine--but I really want to make 45 and I'm thinking about another marathon to get us close :)

Cheers,

Buck

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's how you gotta do it. Set up a tent and swing the coil for a few days. Congratulations to you and D.G. for some of the best variety of finds.
A super way to spend the Thankgiving Holiday Weekend.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome stuff Buck. You should carry all that silver around in a small leather pouch and just toss it at people when you want something. That's what they do in the movies. :laughing7: You always seem to be in the right place to find some goodies. Research pays off. Keep at it. :thumbsup:

It's hard work down here with no geography to help find sites (it's all flat as a pancake everywhere, so scouting is key). Gonna need a leather backpack soon, so I think it's gonna hurt when we throw it :D

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's how you gotta do it. Set up a tent and swing the coil for a few days. Congratulations to you and D.G. for some of the best variety of finds.
A super way to spend the Thankgiving Holiday Weekend.

thanks so much for your kind reply! I'm thinking we may shun the families and do this every year! :D

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great bunch of relics! Awesome cannonball, they are always nice to find. Congratulations!

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You folks are a pack of wild Badgers!!!:o Never seem to amaze me with the multitude od super cool coin and relic finds from your well "fertilized" hunting grounds. Do an air drop of some Seated Half Dimes over my little community PLEASE!:laughing9:

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
A typical BuckleBoy post with a little bit of everything. Congrats on another stellar hunt. And that is an apothecary weight .....

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You folks are a pack of wild Badgers!!!:o Never seem to amaze me with the multitude od super cool coin and relic finds from your well "fertilized" hunting grounds. Do an air drop of some Seated Half Dimes over my little community PLEASE!:laughing9:
Only if you agree to air drop some nice large coppers over ours! I'm always amazed too. We're very lucky here in Louisiana to have both the age and the historical affluence to see just about anything come up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread