May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its the first time I've worn gloves this year, so Winter is finally here.

We decided not to grid on from where we were on day 1 & leap frog to the middle of the early Saxon Site to give us a better chance of finding the older stuff. It worked, & 5 hours later we had;

Hunts Button
Livery Button
6 Roman Coins (2 holed in the early Saxon period)
Neolithic Flint
unmarked brass weight
Half a Medieval swivel
Saxon partifact
Top of a 6th C AD Saxon Brooch
1st C AD Romano-Celtic Ring bezel (Random for this area, as this period is not normally covered)

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    197.3 KB · Views: 86
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 76
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    148.9 KB · Views: 81
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    133.9 KB · Views: 80
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    160.9 KB · Views: 75
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    151.4 KB · Views: 95
Upvote 25

Benjamin52

Apr 26, 2011
Germany
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS :-:
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Crusader, nice hunt!
One question: Any advice on how to tell if a bronze ring is a ring-bezel or just some harnish ring?
I found several similar ones in Germany. Some smooth inside some have a round edge on the inside. all bronze tho.
How to classify them?
Celtic?

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Crusader, nice hunt!
One question: Any advice on how to tell if a bronze ring is a ring-bezel or just some harnish ring?
I found several similar ones in Germany. Some smooth inside some have a round edge on the inside. all bronze tho.
How to classify them?
Celtic?
The one's we find in the UK, are made in the 1st C AD, maybe a little earlier. But most I believe are made by the Celtic people & maybe in the early Roman period. (Based on research & style)
1st C AD Rings are far too small & weak to be a harness rings. Plus they are well documented.

I would need to see pictures of what you are talking about, because I'm not sure what you mean by round edges on the inside??

Last edited:

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess Ben refers to the bronze ring in the last pic top right. We get them in a lot of sizes and different ring diameter and typical flat areas mostly on the inside of the ring. Sometimes reaching to the sides like yours show. Usually the size is bigger than yours, big ones go up to 2", the less common small types barely fit my pinky.

Benjamin52

Apr 26, 2011
Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess Ben refers to the bronze ring in the last pic top right. We get them in a lot of sizes and different ring diameter and typical flat areas mostly on the inside of the ring. Sometimes reaching to the sides like yours show. Usually the size is bigger than yours, big ones go up to 2", the less common small types barely fit my pinky.

Yea exactly, I have one that is about 5mm strong and barely fits my thumb because its too big. But others are quite fragile. I dont have pictures right now because I am abroad. Sometimes the inside is flat like a modern ring sometimes it has like a crest inside as if it were made from a mold which makes me doubt.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oh wait, I do have pictures. in this tnet post of mine you can see 3 I found plus one bigger fragment.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...-penny-18th-ct-french-copper-other-finds.html

Any ideas if these are similar celtic/roman bronze rings or just random bronze rings?
OK, I know what your on about now.

These are debated a lot. Cru'dad & I call them 'Ring Things' as a joke. We find them in nearly every field & almost every outing. So they are very common. They range in size & material but most are bronze looking. Many are IDed as Medieval Horse Harness Rings. However, a recent book on Roman Military fittings IDs some of the styles as Roman. I don't think many of them are, but I'm sure some might be. Most I believe are medieval in date.
I would expect any simple Roman Bronze Finger Ring to have a flat surface on the inside of the ring, not a rounded.
I'm sure they had many uses over thousands of years that we will never know the true answer to.
They are often mis-sold on ebay as Celtic Ring Money.

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

These are debated a lot. Cru'dad & I call them 'Ring Things' as a joke. We find them in nearly every field & almost every outing. So they are very common. They range in size & material but most are bronze looking. Many are IDed as Medieval Horse Harness Rings. However, a recent book on Roman Military fittings IDs some of the styles as Roman. I don't think many of them are, but I'm sure some might be. Most I believe are medieval in date.
I would expect any simple Roman Bronze Finger Ring to have a flat surface on the inside of the ring, not a rounded.
I'm sure they had many uses over thousands of years that we will never know the true answer to.

It's time for you cash in Cru and retire.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ancient-Ce...-Proto-Currency-Moesia-Bulgaria-/322933608903

Benjamin52

Apr 26, 2011
Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Oh, okay, bummer but thanks for the info. At least we have the benefit of doubt and can still dream a little bit that it might be something more :D but intuition told me they are too common to be anything rare..

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We are all rich.... :laughing9:
Yeap, some people have no morals or they are morons, just not sure which. Or maybe I'm the moron for not making money out of other morons, who knows.:tongue3:

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeap, some people have no morals or they are morons, just not sure which. Or maybe I'm the moron for not making money out of other morons, who knows.:tongue3:

As long as you can get up and look in the mirror you're fine.

Just kidding. I personally wouldn't make money out of idiots just because they are what they are. Thats cheating to me. You feel the same i think.

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi , You english are not really any good at activities in snow .Remember Falcon Scott and Ernest Shackleton tp

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi , You english are not really any good at activities in snow .Remember Falcon Scott and Ernest Shackleton tp
Another interesting & usual post.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread