Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1891 dime reverse.JPG 1891 dime front.JPG relic1.JPG relic2.jpg relic3.jpg relic4.jpg relic5.jpg

It occurred to me I have not posted any metal detecting finds. Just didn't find anything of note, really. Always yakking about other things. Enjoy all of your finds, and keep hoping. So here we go, proof of swinging and digging. 1891 dime, couple wheats, 1929 and 1942, a couple colonial buckles, the prongs on the one still pivot! The large round brass object is I believe a horse bridle medallion. A couple pieces of furniture hardware. Two raggedy tomback buttons, two musket balls, both of which struck something. What I believe to be a cast net sinker, and the trophy plaque. This I researched, and the fellow with that name showed up with an unsavory history that I will avoid repeating, just in case there was someone else with that name. Also showing my junk, an old iron, and colonial blacksmith hammer, solid metal handle.

I DID find one very interesting object I have been researching for months, and have attached a name to, 90%. I have decided not to show it yet. It has excited me as a history buff, and belonged, I believe to a crucial Revolutionary War figure, who was prominent in the successful 1780 Siege of Charleston, and later was instrumental in the latter war against Napoleon, and was directly involved in Napoleon's surrender and exile. I'm halfway through the book describing this relic, and the person it belonged to. A lot of labor, and have never written a book before. Fiction, but the main character's real name and life will be used in the second half of the book. Should wrap it up mid 2018. If nothing else, my grandkids can read it.

Hope you find something here worth looking at, and any corrections to my ID's would be welcome. Thanks for looking.

Upvote 24

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is super interesting and I'd love to read the book! That seated dime is beautiful. Nice finds.

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A30A415B-8EF5-4410-AB8D-D7486C2A73F8.png

Cool finds and great background on your research!

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
why you big tease!

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds. Thanks for posting! [emoji106]

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You got some great stuff mate! Lovely seated silver dime. Some really cool old relics. You should post more often. Looking forward to you sharing this intriguing find you mentioned. Keep after it!:hello:

OP
OP
Kray Gelder

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I didn't know that Gavin. Thanks! I keep the shotgun bases, now I know they're relics.

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Great stuff. My guess is that trophy plaque was off a dog's collar - owner's name and dog's name - just my guess.
HH
dts

jsandin

Nov 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great stuff. My guess is that trophy plaque was off a dog's collar - owner's name and dog's name - just my guess.
HH
dts
Here's something I found....fyi....along the same lines.....on a former farm site in E. KS
tag.jpeg

ivobg

Jun 20, 2013
Forgot
Detector(s) used
Garrett 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's that big iron spike thing ?
I found the same while ago

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice relics and a beautiful seated dime recovery! :occasion14:

OP
OP
Kray Gelder

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What's that big iron spike thing ?
I found the same while ago

Colonial era blacksmith hammer. Iron handle. I believe the area I found it was a hub of activity on an old rice plantation, where they may have had coopers build casks for rice, and probably repaired tools, etc. I found slag pieces, remnants of hoe heads, and iron barrel bands. Most likely all slave labor, slave blacksmith. Several defined iron fields of nails and bolts, and an unusual eroded square hole in the ground, now just a couple feet deep, about 15 feet square. I think there may have been slaves living there, I found three old clothes irons, only one pictured, the other two were too far gone. Old inlet of a quay in same spot, now just an old eroded low spot, extending out to connect with the main access canal. I was not the first in the area, being evidence of prior digging.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread