Mind Blown in a Dirty Corn Field!

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy Folks. The wind died down so out to the field after work for a quick hunt. First target screaming just beneath the surface was a totally twisted old brass spoon. Much character in the curves. Next good signal turned up the surprise perfume bottle. Nice. A scratchy yet solid signal turned up the old Rail Road Button. It has an iron back thus the scratchiness. I got the twisted old brass buckle that I managed to flatten out some. Having fun so far and my fingers aren't frozen off.

I was just working a few feet into the field from it's edge when I get a solid 25 VDI signal on my Makro Racer 2. I pinpoint the target and find a tiny zip lock bag that is torn in half. I check the little baggy and there is a ring in it! WHAT?!???? It looks like GOLD and not corroded. It had a four prong setting which was filled with dirt and missing the stone. Bummer I thought. At this point I am like what the heck is this baggy with a ring in it doing out in this corn field? I put the ring back into the ripped in half zip lock baggy and put it in my pouch.

As the sun was setting over the horizon I get a surface signal screaming PENNY! I pinpoint what I believe is a toasted Indian Head Cent. Not sure however in the bad lighting I was hoping for the Flying Eagle Cent I have been chasing for nine years. Well having found enough good targets and curious as to what my coin was I head home. I washed the coin off and grab my Optivisor 10X to get a better look at this old copper and sure enough I finally bagged my FIRST Flying Eagle Cent! She's a 1857 and I love the patina on it. I let out some serious shouts of Victory and Joy and then hit my knees and thank my Creator for allowing me to recover this super cool coin and the gold ring.

I checked the gold ring for a stamp mark and it's a 14K real deal gold ring. I kept the baggy along with my other finds in my sink as it was part of this recovery. As I was washing the baggy I notice a lump in the upper corner near the zipper part of the bag. NO WAY! YES WAY! I spied a nice sized diamond tucked up in the corner of this ripped in half zip lock baggy I found in a freshly ploughed corn field! I could not believe what had just occurred. Mind blown and about ready to hyper ventilate I call my best friend and tector buddy and share the amazing news.

As I write this post I am still feeling like I am in an episode of the Twilight Zone. So grateful for having the health to hunt and some pretty decent spots to find the good stuff. Thanks to ALL of my T-net buddies for so much encouragement to keep after it. If not for you I would probably have given up for the season. Now I have a full tank of gas and am ready for a few more goodies before freeze up. Thanks for stopping by. Ya'll ROCK! Kurios1

Gold & Diamond Flying Eagle WOW 001.JPG Gold & Diamond Flying Eagle WOW 002.JPG Gold & Diamond Flying Eagle WOW 003.JPG Gold & Diamond Flying Eagle WOW 006.JPG Gold & Diamond Flying Eagle WOW 010.JPG Gold & Diamond Flying Eagle WOW 012.JPG Gold & Diamond Flying Eagle WOW 011.JPG Gold & Diamond Flying Eagle WOW 013.JPG Gold & Diamond Flying Eagle WOW 015.JPG Gold & Diamond Flying Eagle WOW 028.JPG Gold & Diamond Flying Eagle WOW 029.JPG Gold & Diamond Flying Eagle WOW 016.JPG Gold & Diamond Flying Eagle WOW 017.JPG Gold & Diamond Flying Eagle WOW 026.JPG Gold & Diamond Flying Eagle WOW 027.JPG Gold & Diamond Flying Eagle WOW 019.JPG Gold & Diamond Flying Eagle WOW 020.JPG Gold & Diamond Flying Eagle WOW 023.JPG Gold & Diamond Flying Eagle WOW 024.JPG Gold & Diamond Flying Eagle WOW 025.JPG

Upvote 58
OP
OP
Kurios1

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a couple of nice finds Kurios. That ring story is unreal, but I have to go with the Flying Eagle as my favorite. Guess I'm just a coin shooter by trade !

I am with you mate. The ring find was just a crazy recovery the way it all turned out. Capturing my Flying Eagle after nine years searching was far more significant to me personally. I was in this field until after sundown yesterday and the ground was beginning to freeze up. I had to bring a dirt clod home to thaw out to locate one target. Just a bullet.:icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Kurios1

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratualtions on the nice finds! Sure hope the diamond is real!:occasion14:

Under the circumstances I am assuming it is. I have a local jeweler down the road I will take it to for testing and cleaning for a resetting of the diamond. Diamonds and gold are nice but, the history and recovery of the Flying Eagle Cent trumps the ring for me personally. That coin was high on my Bucket List and now it's gone.:icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Kurios1

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some nice finds! Hard to imagine why the ring ended up in a bag, in a field.

Yes indeed. It may have belonged to someone not related to the property and got blown into the field by the wind? No way of knowing for sure. I will consider posting a vague description of a lost "item" and place it in our local post office. We only have 100 or so people living in this little community so if anyone lost this ring I would reckon word would get around to them. We'll see what happens?:icon_thumright:

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread