Mind Blown in a Dirty Corn Field!

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy Folks. The wind died down so out to the field after work for a quick hunt. First target screaming just beneath the surface was a totally twisted old brass spoon. Much character in the curves. Next good signal turned up the surprise perfume bottle. Nice. A scratchy yet solid signal turned up the old Rail Road Button. It has an iron back thus the scratchiness. I got the twisted old brass buckle that I managed to flatten out some. Having fun so far and my fingers aren't frozen off.

I was just working a few feet into the field from it's edge when I get a solid 25 VDI signal on my Makro Racer 2. I pinpoint the target and find a tiny zip lock bag that is torn in half. I check the little baggy and there is a ring in it! WHAT?!???? It looks like GOLD and not corroded. It had a four prong setting which was filled with dirt and missing the stone. Bummer I thought. At this point I am like what the heck is this baggy with a ring in it doing out in this corn field? I put the ring back into the ripped in half zip lock baggy and put it in my pouch.

As the sun was setting over the horizon I get a surface signal screaming PENNY! I pinpoint what I believe is a toasted Indian Head Cent. Not sure however in the bad lighting I was hoping for the Flying Eagle Cent I have been chasing for nine years. Well having found enough good targets and curious as to what my coin was I head home. I washed the coin off and grab my Optivisor 10X to get a better look at this old copper and sure enough I finally bagged my FIRST Flying Eagle Cent! She's a 1857 and I love the patina on it. I let out some serious shouts of Victory and Joy and then hit my knees and thank my Creator for allowing me to recover this super cool coin and the gold ring.

I checked the gold ring for a stamp mark and it's a 14K real deal gold ring. I kept the baggy along with my other finds in my sink as it was part of this recovery. As I was washing the baggy I notice a lump in the upper corner near the zipper part of the bag. NO WAY! YES WAY! I spied a nice sized diamond tucked up in the corner of this ripped in half zip lock baggy I found in a freshly ploughed corn field! I could not believe what had just occurred. Mind blown and about ready to hyper ventilate I call my best friend and tector buddy and share the amazing news.

As I write this post I am still feeling like I am in an episode of the Twilight Zone. So grateful for having the health to hunt and some pretty decent spots to find the good stuff. Thanks to ALL of my T-net buddies for so much encouragement to keep after it. If not for you I would probably have given up for the season. Now I have a full tank of gas and am ready for a few more goodies before freeze up. Thanks for stopping by. Ya'll ROCK! Kurios1

Gold & Diamond Flying Eagle WOW 001.JPG Gold & Diamond Flying Eagle WOW 002.JPG Gold & Diamond Flying Eagle WOW 003.JPG Gold & Diamond Flying Eagle WOW 006.JPG Gold & Diamond Flying Eagle WOW 010.JPG Gold & Diamond Flying Eagle WOW 012.JPG Gold & Diamond Flying Eagle WOW 011.JPG Gold & Diamond Flying Eagle WOW 013.JPG Gold & Diamond Flying Eagle WOW 015.JPG Gold & Diamond Flying Eagle WOW 028.JPG Gold & Diamond Flying Eagle WOW 029.JPG Gold & Diamond Flying Eagle WOW 016.JPG Gold & Diamond Flying Eagle WOW 017.JPG Gold & Diamond Flying Eagle WOW 026.JPG Gold & Diamond Flying Eagle WOW 027.JPG Gold & Diamond Flying Eagle WOW 019.JPG Gold & Diamond Flying Eagle WOW 020.JPG Gold & Diamond Flying Eagle WOW 023.JPG Gold & Diamond Flying Eagle WOW 024.JPG Gold & Diamond Flying Eagle WOW 025.JPG

Upvote 58

MadTom

Dec 6, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Bandido umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s crazy! Congrats on the penny!

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Truly and I mean truly AMAZING hunt Kurios1. You are blessed I can tell you that. Great story of a great day. Congratulations

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great job, Kevin!!! 🙌🙌🙌 I had a feeling you'd hit paydirt before the year ended. The Flyer looks great! 😁

Sent from my HTC Desire 510 using TreasureNet.com mobile app

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils - Garett ACE 250 - Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is incredible Kevin! Super COINgrats on the ring and your first flying eagle!
Im at a loss for words... Im glad you stayed warm and brought hopes for a handful of hunts yet this season.

Perhaps who ever lost the "Ring in a bag" was planning on getting the stone reset?

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice work kevin !! Sweet ring, good eye on the diamond. I bet the corn even taste better from that field !! Congrats on your eagle cent too !!

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great variety of finds yet again! That flying eagle cent has more details than usual when they're dug. Congratulations

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You really deserve and worked hard this year to be rewarded by the dirt gods for such an amazing hunt! Diamond ring and a huge bucket lister FE!!!! Congrats!

OP
OP
Kurios1

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is incredible Kevin! Super COINgrats on the ring and your first flying eagle!
Im at a loss for words... Im glad you stayed warm and brought hopes for a handful of hunts yet this season.

Perhaps who ever lost the "Ring in a bag" was planning on getting the stone reset?

That's what I believe. I have my wheels spinning wondering who may have lost this ring and diamond in or around this corn field. It's not too far from a house and a few structures. I would indeed return the ring to the owner. I will be doing some investigating and see where this may lead. If I end up not finding the owner I'll be OK with that as well.;D

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find!! Tenacity Tenacity Tenacity!!!!!

OP
OP
Kurios1

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You really deserve and worked hard this year to be rewarded by the dirt gods for such an amazing hunt! Diamond ring and a huge bucket lister FE!!!! Congrats!

Thanks mate. That means a lot coming from the guy who steam rolls the weeds to get to the goods. In nine years of chasing treasure I have a handful of really mind blowing hunts. This one here will go right up there with the best of them.:icon_salut:

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What an incredible find in a cornfield and now we know why the plastic bag :)

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils - Garett ACE 250 - Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im glad we think the same.. An amazing opportunity to return something meaningful to whoever lost it..
And if not an incredible keeper and a one of a kind story behind it!

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It could have been so easy to lose that rock without even knowing you had it.
Congrats on your luck and skill as a badass detectorist.

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That field sure grows some nice treasures! Congratulations on the ring and nice flying eagle. I sure like the design of that coin!!

OP
OP
Kurios1

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What an incredible find in a cornfield and now we know why the plastic bag :)

I believe in miracles. How about you? I have hunted this spot pretty thoroughly before they ploughed it. I found a few nice targets but, after they stirred the dirt I had a great day. There must have been an angel assigned to keep that little "rock" firmly positioned inside that ripped open baggy along with the ring itself. PTL mate!:notworthy::angel4:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions