FOUND INGOTS - NEED HELP IDENTIFYING

BenjaminE

Jun 2, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a long time lurker. Also, I am an underwater metal detectorist, primarily.

I found two ingots in the Mexican Caribbean, at the bottom of potholes, in chest deep water. I discovered the ingots several hundred meters apart, in different potholes in an area where there does not seem to be any other metal.

When I found the first ingot, I could not flip it out of the hole with my spade, due to weight. It weighs around 38 grams. I finally reached into the bottom of the hole, and picked up what I thought was a rectangular lead fishing weight. When I pulled it out, I discovered that the object was coated with a black substance, that had small bits of shell embedded in it. When I turned the object over in my hand, I saw that one corner was shiny yellow.

I packed the object into my bag, and went home because the yellow metal had my attention. When I got home, I found that the "black substance" was actually something like a thin skin, or shell, that basically slipped off when I pulled on it.

The object is rectangular, but the ends are tapered. Both objects somewhat resemble "axeheads", or buckles. There is a tiny indentation, or crease, in one end as though the object was created in a mold.

I found a second similar ingot just a few weeks ago, as previously mentioned. The second ingot weighs just a few grams less, and is basically the same shape.

I have an old Whites XLT detector. And, the ingots ring up at between 69 and 80 on the XLT. I also had them tested for gold content, though the test only covers 8k and above. If they contain gold, it is less than 8k. Both times when testing, the testers commented they thought that the ingots contained gold, though not enough to test.

Also, the difference between these ingots, and regular brass artifacts, is that brass is generally somewhat porous, and develops corrosion, or becomes oxidized. These ingots, on the other hand, came out of deep potholes in the ocean, basically clean. They appear to be impervious to corrosion. There are no noticeable markings. And, they are extremely smooth to the touch, and do not appear to be porous at all.

I am tentatively guessing that they might be "tumbaga" ingots from before the arrival of the Spanish. But, maybe they are some sort of brass ingots?

Any serious input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

ingot 002.jpg

ingot 001.jpg

Upvote 7

SultansOfSwing

Dec 28, 2016
NH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 - & ProPointer AT-------

Back Ups: AT Pro, Tesoro Royal Sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those look like gold from the pictures. Buy some fresh acid off Amazon and test yourself. Those who tested it may have old acid.

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting, if not brass/bronze the color looks rather pale like electrum, and while I have no experience with marine artifacts the black crud suggests silver to my inexperienced eyes. Maybe they are indeed small ingots formed from melted indigenous silver and gold trinkets. Please provide updates!

OP
OP
B

BenjaminE

Jun 2, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those look like gold from the pictures. Buy some fresh acid off Amazon and test yourself. Those who tested it may have old acid.

I went to jeweler who always does an excellent job testing all of my gold. Also, I went to a bank that buys gold, and got the same results. I have found many gold rings, and have alot of experience with getting gold tested. The acid quickly removed the streak on the black stone.

Thanks

OP
OP
B

BenjaminE

Jun 2, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting, if not brass/bronze the color looks rather pale like electrum, and while I have no experience with marine artifacts the black crud suggests silver to my inexperienced eyes. Maybe they are indeed small ingots formed from melted indigenous silver and gold trinkets. Please provide updates!

Generally, the silver develops a heavy black tarnish that is hard to remove. This was more like a "skin" that came off like paper. I have never seen anything like it. Also, I believe my brass artifacts get a green or pink tarnish. These do not have tarnish. But, they seem a bit hard, when rubbed on the test stone. Maybe a high grade of brass??

EccentricInTexas

Jan 14, 2013
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 11DD coil 11x15DD coil 6DD coil
Schiebel AN-19/2,
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro,
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you should try to find someone with a XRF metal tester to see what its made of. I know Ebay has people that will test for 20$ or so but I'm sure with enough looking you could find someone with one of the machines. I know of one scrapyard in my general area that has one.

OP
OP
B

BenjaminE

Jun 2, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you should try to find someone with a XRF metal tester to see what its made of. I know Ebay has people that will test for 20$ or so but I'm sure with enough looking you could find someone with one of the machines. I know of one scrapyard in my general area that has one.

Thanks for the tip! Would that test gold content, or the content of other metals, electronically? I am not familiar with current technology, in this area. Thanks!

OP
OP
B

BenjaminE

Jun 2, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No tarnish only means one thing

Right, I have found more tarnish on 8k. That is what I find so baffling...

I have alot of experience with gold. Here is a little bit. Even the people who tested the ingots felt that they contain gold, just not enough to register at 8k.

I think I need to find a way to electronically test for lower amounts, as the last poster suggests. It may be tumbaga. But, I thought that tumbaga had a high enough gold content to register as 10k or higher. I need to find the ratios on tumbaga...

Thanks!

216 grams of gold B.jpg

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It sure has a nice gold color. I have heard of jeweller's brass which is a refined brass that polishes up nice. It is used as a base metal when making extra heavy gold plated jewelry. I wish you luck with your tests.
Congratulations on your finds.

EccentricInTexas

Jan 14, 2013
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 11DD coil 11x15DD coil 6DD coil
Schiebel AN-19/2,
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro,
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
XRF will pretty much tell you everything in it and the percentages of it. I'd buy one but the things cost 14k$ or so.

califteacher

Sep 30, 2012
Vista, San Diego County, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030 and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
While I don't know anything about the chemistry of gold, I would like to compliment you on your post. Your description was well written, in an intelligent manner, yet conveyed the mystery of your discovery. And of course, the ingots themselves, are fascinating. One of the great things about this hobby is that it often makes one extend the boundaries of what we know, whether history, chemistry, weather and ocean conditions, or human nature. As others have written, please keep us posted on your progress.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Most larger metal recycling yards will have XRF Spectrometer for doing non-destructive quick testing of metals. All my brokers that I dealt with had [FONT=Arimo, sans-serif]these even 10+ yrs ago. Gone are the days of melting a button and doing the testing. Hope that you'll be able to find out what these are made out of, and they're the real thing.[/FONT]

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread