Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got up before the sun did this morning, and decided to check on a permission north of here, and at the western edge of todays snow belt. I was just going to look, honest. It's a pretty big farm. We have been finding some Civil War and more modern items in the area, which was settled before the Revolution. Even got a few Zincolns the farmer must have dropped. Or something like that. Anyway, I got there about 7:15 just to check to see if anything had been done as I've invited a couple folks to dig and its a big farm, but the relics seem to be concentrated on two hilltops. There have been other, much later goodies found there, but I have always felt there was an older house on the property. It's right next to a creek and an old mill, farm goes back to the mid 18th century. There are places in the field we haven't even been in yet, it takes awhile to do a large farm, and I do travel to detect quite a bit. I'm not very interested in parks, because of the modern stuff there. I like the history. Wellllll...two weeks ago someone I was with found two 18th century buttons in this one little section we hadn't been in before. I was surprised. I also found half of a Rev War officer's type repousse (probably didn't spell that right), the kind that had the thin brass or pewter face and had a wood or bone back. I think there is something on the face, but I haven't had the time to study it. Last week was CW in Virginia, and now I'm up north, although I am in the process of cleaning my CW iron buckles as this is being written. When I got to the field I was shocked and thrilled to see the farmer had DISCED part of it! So now there is a chance we can find more stuff, after all a 6" deep disc can turn up some stuff. I was just planning on checking it out, but even though I had my good clothes (and best shoes) on, I decided I'd walk the area we found the two 18th century buttons. I wasn't there very long and got a signal. A large .69 musket ball. Now that COULD be CW, but we haven't found any of those on this site before, just Union minies and all but 1 were drops. One Enfield also two weeks ago. Walked on a bit and found a piece of broken redware, yes, it's a relic, so I kept it and an amber gunflint sticking out of the ground. Now that's a tough save! I haven't found one is so long I forget when it was, so I was getting excited. Found 5 shotgun shell bases and then started finding tombac buttons, first one, then two then three. I did read some iron on the Deus but ignored it. I can go back, and the iron isn't going anywhere. The excitement is going strong now. You have to picture this setup. I have a lightweight dress jacket on, dress slacks and an expensive pair of don't dig in these shoes on. I wasn't GOING to dig, but that disc just made me do it! The area I was digging was a relatively small area and I was getting cold fast. Pulled another button out of the ground, this one the plow had gotten pretty good, Made of brass. No way to identify it. Then I got the signal that ended the day. It ended because I was freezing. Another brass button, this one the size of a quarter. I stuffed it in my dress slacks pocket, I hadn't even brought a pouch or pinpointer with me as I really hadn't planned on doing this. The pants had to be washed, btw. All the buttons were very dirty and I didn't see anything on them. Dirt up there is darker reddish brown, and hot like the Virginia dirt but not quite as bad. I did all the errands I had to do and then had my happy nap. So about a hour ago got last week's Civil War iron going in a bath of Iron Out in hot water to clean it all up. I had bought a tupperware style tub to put everything in, later tonight or tomorrow. I had fished out the items from today from my pocket and started washing them off. I scrubbed the heck out of the tombacs, I mean, they're tombacs, and the little brass broken one is toast, if there was anything on it, there isn't now. Just a shank and a little metal where the button was. And lastly I moved to the bigger brass button. Was hoping it was a dandy. It was pretty caked in dirt. No shank. I had MOST of the dirt off the face when I stopped dead in my tracks (and almost threw up), sort of, when I realized there was a wheel on the face of the button. I have a small collection of Rev War buttons I have dug or bought over the years and I knew immediately what I had. I removed all the dirt from the back and most of it from the front to reveal an American Rev War enlisted man's coat button. After looking for the house on this farm for about a year now, not only do I find it, but found a marked Rev War button. I'm just sitting here staring at it. I had never dug one of those before, I have dug USA's some Mass. buttons and French and a British button or two, over thirty years, but this blew me away. On the button is a cannon facing right, with the flag pole and flag flying on the left side of the button. It is a Rev War American artillery enlisted mans' button. A first for me and I first started digging Rev War about 1985. Now for the pics. View attachment IMG_0565.jpg View attachment IMG_0566.jpg IMG_0567.jpg View attachment IMG_0571.jpg This has been my best year since about 1987. And considering all the new gold, EVER.

Last edited:
Upvote 33
OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diggindude, do you ever get these the rev war buttons up there in NY? Lots of activity up there.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a killer American Rev War button. It's in beautiful condition. I don't remember seeing one posted on this forum. I'm voting Banner on that one!
BTW - "History Written with a Pick and Shovel" is an amazing book. I have a reprint that I bought on Amazon. Picture quality is not nearly as nice as the older reprints.

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That button is a looker.
Congrats

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome button, congratulations! :occasion14:

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steve in PA, i have the older copy of the book, the blue hardbound one. I got it directly from the NY Historical Society in the 80s before Al Gore invented the internet. You know, I can't remember anyone finding one and reporting it here since I joined the forum. I have one I bought a few years ago, so now I have two. I have been finding busted up pewter buttons I think were American from the Rev War however, there is not not enough left of them to identify.

dfallis1

Jan 5, 2016
Somewhere below the mason-dixon
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus-
Garrett GTI 2500-
Garrett AT PRO- Garrett Pro-Pointer AT-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the old colonial relics. That Rev button is in great shape. The value of that button is incredible. great find !!!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beauty :icon_thumright:
- I found one almost identical in western Ma. when I was a kid in the 70s
I was told by many it was war of 1812

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one special button Smokey! Congrats on one you will never forget

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Casper2, these are definitely Revolutionary War. Some of the 1812 buttons had cannons with eagles on them, but this one is much large and the enlisted mans' version of the officers' button which was the same basic design. Did you keep yours?

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks VMI digger. This cat's a little too old to do back flips, and as the button was totally dirt covered, I didn't realize what I had till I got it home.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions