Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't even know where to start with this one, it's a long time since I've been on a 4 hour high and still going - although it may be coffee buzz that has taken over now. :tongue3: There's a bit of a back story to this, but won't get too much into that as it would take too long to explain... but I did not see anything like this coming. I did my year-end post while Ironhorse was on vacation having never expected my best day was yet to come.

I recently started hunting some fields I had been taken to once before, basically feeling the statute of limitations had run out on the previous permission seekers, and also because I needed somewhere to dig! :laughing7: I had some success with a find years ago so decided to try the same spot in that particular field to see if I could repeat the success. So that was my plan, and all I had. So I get there and conditions were decent to dig but it would be corn stalks I had to deal with, but beggars can't be choosers right. I spent about an hour and a half swinging and all I had to show for it was two plain buttons... and at that point I was thinking about what would be the back up. I never text while hunting, but it was so slim I was talking to the Patriot some and wishing I was on one of his fields!

So after those 90 minutes I figured it was time to lose some coffee, but I was too close to the farmhouse so decided to make my way down the field. While on the walk I had the thought... wouldn't it be funny if this was how I dug something good, and then I could tell the Patriot how my luck hand changed and how it happened. So I walk down and do what I had to do, then started to make my way back to the site and swinging fast and not being concerned at all with overlapping swings, as I didn't believe there would me much to find lower in the field. I walk about 10 or 15 paces and get a high tone screamer, dig it up and see it's a bent piece of copper or brass, just junk... and then flip it over to see it's a belt plate! Just a plain one, but only the 2nd I've ever dug. My #1 thing to find has always been a marked one, but even this one was a day maker. Not near as nice as Kiddo's... and it looks like on top of having the bend I hit it with the shovel... but still it's a keeper.

So hitting the belt plate about mid. field that snapped me out of sticking to the iron patch and I started walking the rows, and sure enough the targets began to come out. Wasn't tons, but it seemed like the % were pretty good for what I was digging, and with a belt plate in hand I had turned things around and was having a pretty good day.

So I get home, and dug out my take for the day and start to scrape some dirt off the plate. I see it's pretty corroded so after a little thinking I decide to give it a lemon soak to clean it. Knew it would make it dark but that was ok, and it was also good just for the odd chance something was hiding below. So I drop it in the juice and move on to the other stuff and immediately see a little designed button I had noticed in the field because the back had so much gilt. I didn't think too much of it having just thrown it in with everything else, but now seeing it under better light it was more interesting. It looked like a tudor rose so I was pretty stoked I had likely found my first Rev War British Navy Lieutenants button. But then I looked closer - there was writing... no way! It's a Rev War King's American button, but the 2nd issue. When I started detecting I found a nice one and not being really into buttons at the time I sold it. Of course my interest grew tremendously, and for about the last 15 years I've wanted to find one, but turned out they are much rarer to dig here than the earlier type. About a week ago I had actually decided to try and track down the one I sold about 16 years ago to see if I could buy it back. That's how much I wanted one again, but now I don't have to!

I then go back to sorting, being on cloud 9, and paying more attention to cleaning the button well than worrying about much else. Was also texting with the Patriot and told him I had quite a surprise when I got home. I guess about 45 minutes had passed and decided to take the plate out to give it a brush, and it was coming along well with most of the green gone. Then I took a little closer look... and wait for it.... No way! There's letters on that thing! After 15 years I dig my button finally, and in addition waiting for basically as long as I've detected I've finally dug my first marked early military crossbelt plate. There's so little left I was concerned I would never ID it, but there was just barely enough at the top, and several letters at the bottom, and I was able to confirm it's a 1790s local militia from my area. Definitely not the prettiest relic, but it is what it is and I'm not complaining! I can't even imagine how many times I've thought about each of these finds and to get both on the same day is unbelievable, and in fields hunted by others, and ones that basically slipped under the radar for myself. That sure was a mouthful, and many might not see the big deal, especially if they didn't bother to read... but this was definitely a day I'll not soon forget. :headbang:

Attachments

• corn.jpg
    corn.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 208
  • 334.jpg
    334.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 175
  • 335.jpg
    335.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 153
  • 332.jpg
    332.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 223
  • 333.jpg
    333.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 169
  • kar4.jpg
    kar4.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 242
  • 330.jpg
    330.jpg
    247 KB · Views: 183
  • 331.jpg
    331.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 182
Upvote 48

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other

Gene Mean

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2016
Central NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Equinox 800
Eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice work. Beautiful button! and great narrative.

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That picture of the field running up to the water is great. So peaceful looking. The epitome of what a good field hunter wants to see knowing there's more there to be found. Looking forward to seeing what you and Ironhorse can pull out of there.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Both of us will be back there soon enough for plenty of swinging. I believe there was at least two early houses at top and one about 70% down the field, so a lot activity and something good could likely turn up anywhere. When I started walking the rows I didn't go all the way to the top or bottom, and as soon as I had a quiet row, and since I was running out of time, I went to try the bottom of the productive rows and dug a few buttons but mostly the bullets. So what we have left is the very top, and 3/4 of the rows, and a flat patch at the bottom lower than the rows. A lot of space really, but how productive the rest of the field is would depend on whether there is another house on the other side. Don't really have a strategy going back other than if we both swing lots I'm sure will dig quite a few targets and at least have a chance given the potential. This is my 3rd great day in that general area and each time there was a good sleeper find that sure woke me up. Now it's beyond clear it's just a great area to dig and you never know what could happen.
To me there is always only one strategy on a field like that especially the first few times until you get the full picture. ie. you grid it all however quiet it is. Only after the first pass can you narrow it down to something smaller, because at this point you have no idea what the shape of the scatter is. This is also where GPS mapping helps a lot.

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thats one helluva sweet button. Im glad your getting out and i still hope to someday/somewhere get out for a hunt with ya. The belt plate is great too and i see you remembered the one i found recently. Wish i could ever decipher what the marks on mine were but your finds make me want to go back to the spot i found my plate to maybe get a nice military button of any kind. Congrats! [emoji2][emoji106]

Last edited:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just incredible finds! Congrats, IP. I'm nominating this for banner. What a button recovery--let alone the marked plate!

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow IP, that was an incredible day. Fabulous button and the plate is a priceless find. I’m glad you were not only able to end your season on an absolute high, but also have an area to grill next spring. Or maybe just maybe this year????

We're hitting it hard tomorrow! :headbang:

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on your double whammy.
Two great finds.
Awesome

cerebus

Oct 9, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Etrac CTX
Man that is an epic hunt! Local militia finds are awesome anyway, but belt plate is amazing!

billpa

Sep 12, 2010
Out Diggin Silver
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO,DFX DX-1, CLASSIC 111, Garrett pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's some great finds you dug up there.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Beautiful button, congratulations! :notworthy:

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, what do we owe the honor of seeing picture of an IP site? Beautiful place!
Corn stalks suck and don't allow for a good swing but they make for a good gridding pattern which I think will be beneficial given the randomness of your great finds today. Good luck tomorrow!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TreasureNet.com mobile app

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, what do we owe the honor of seeing picture of an IP site? Beautiful place!
Corn stalks suck and don't allow for a good swing but they make for a good gridding pattern which I think will be beneficial given the randomness of your great finds today. Good luck tomorrow!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TreasureNet.com mobile app

I do take site pics once in a while but always forget to add them! It appears IH and I have 3 days to work with... tomorrow at the corn field, and I assume at least one more by Wed.. I went into the Fall with a long list of new ideas and another long list of our old favorite sites, and we've crossed many off the list - most in fact. But there's one really good looking been field we want to get in but 4 times we have tried now and catch catch the guy home. We did the field beside it and found an early site at the bottom so this large bean field is looking soooooo good. Will take a pic of that one if it works out. Also have a few more I want to get to, but that won't happen unless we dig all three days.

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just incredible finds! Congrats, IP. I'm nominating this for banner. What a button recovery--let alone the marked plate!

I agree. That button belongs up there. The belt plate is an exceptional find but that button is out of this world. Voting banner as well.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
And they just keep on coming .... Congrats on a fabulous year in the Rev War button department!

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah,I'll admit i am jealous.........But i will put in a banner vote.:)

~Blaze~

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great write up man. I know if you put that much time into a post it’s important to you. The condition of that button is incredible! But that old beat up belt plate is a crazy good find. Really cool that it’s marked. Congrats on one hell of a day. Now to your next post. And hell yeah I’m voting BANNER. All day long

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions