Awesome surprise! Spanish silver, Trade axe, 18th Century militaria - lots of relics.

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Had an amazing year end surprise. Decided to try one of my fields where I have previously found some 65th Regiment buttons and relics. The ground was just good enough to dig without breaking the shovel but the machine was working like a charm, no false signals what so ever. Managed to find the tiniest relics at a considerable depth.
Found my second Spanish of the year 1 Real 1781. Not in a perfect shape but I actually prefer it this way. My first bent Real. Was curious about it as it seemed like someone scratched an X on it. Wondered at first if it was a counterfeit coin,but after arriving home confirmed it's a ''Real'' deal. :laughing7: Super happy with it, as this year I was dangerously low on Spanish silver.

20171210_144545[3677].jpg
DSC_0058.JPG DSC_0059.JPG

An other bonus were the pewter buttons. For some reason Deus just loved them in the frozen ground. Got a few 1785-1795 enlisted men pewters. British 65th Regiment of foot.

DSC_0067.JPG

Near lunch time decided to visit a spot I have found some Fur trade items. It's a good 30 min drive from the field but knowing I won't be able to visit it again this year decided to give it a try. Was happy to find my first Trade axe of the year and the biggest one so far.

DSC_0073.jpg DSC_0074.JPG

An other interesting find was an old religious medallion that I believe is Catholic.

DSC_0051.JPG DSC_0052.JPG

Than to an other field. Nothing exceptional but a bunch of very cool relics.

My smallest ever horse shoe. Probably used in the squirrel cavalry. :laughing7:
DSC_0055.JPG

And its bigger brother. Never seen this type of horse shoe before.
View attachment DSC_0056.jpg

A few cool relics.
DSC_0054.JPG
DSC_0053.JPG DSC_0075.JPG
DSC_0060.JPG DSC_0061.JPG

A nice little hunt! One more to go this season. I'll be making an other post in a few days.

Thanks for the comments !

Last edited:
Upvote 53
OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Lots of good looking finds. I found a 1781 1 real a few months ago in way worse condition than yours

I'm actually happy with the condition it is. Most of my Reales look almost mint, this one sure is different.

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice hunt...them pewter buttons are nice ,i see how they deteriorate...i wounder how many are just gone .

I don't think many deteriorate completely. I would sometimes find the part where the shank would connect to the button. I think that's as far as they go.

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'd love to know what those pewter/lead "daisy" knobs are. We have found 5-6 of them in a total of 3 different sites down here.

Tobacco jar/container lid knobs

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What a great season ending hunt you sneaked in! Congrats on the silver, great looking axe, and other relics. That is a tiny beefy little shoe and the large therapy shoe for a bad hoof was probably for a draft horse looking at the size. Loosing a big animal would of meant the farm back then pretty well.

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice score on the Spanish silver. You have some awesome old relics here too. Very nice hunt into the frozen tundra. WTG!:headbang:

Frozen tundra indeed. Thanks Kurios1

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice going on the silver and button trifecta! Lots of other goodies too. Very productive hunt.

Thanks Bill. Can't wait to get my hands on your book. I think it's in the post office by now, will pick it up tomorrow. Looks amazing from what I have seen and heard.

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Holy moly I would have to wear a diaper if I found stuff like that amazing doesn't even cover it Great finds and post. I vote banner also!!! Tommy

Thanks Tommy. Really happy with that Trade axe. Always amazed finding them.

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi , the small horse shoe looks to be the same size as an iron boot heal plate but being from the colonial times doesnt really matter just could be what ever you think tp

It's very possible,although it's pretty thick and heavy. Thanks for your comment.

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What a great season ending hunt you sneaked in! Congrats on the silver, great looking axe, and other relics. That is a tiny beefy little shoe and the large therapy shoe for a bad hoof was probably for a draft horse looking at the size. Loosing a big animal would of meant the farm back then pretty well.

Thanks pepperj.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trade, military, and early silver... that's the full meal deal!

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Id love to find one of those axe heads some time. Those are special!

Absolutely. I'm amazed every time I discover one. Makes me wonder who might have lost it and how it happened.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread