Awesome surprise! Spanish silver, Trade axe, 18th Century militaria - lots of relics.

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Had an amazing year end surprise. Decided to try one of my fields where I have previously found some 65th Regiment buttons and relics. The ground was just good enough to dig without breaking the shovel but the machine was working like a charm, no false signals what so ever. Managed to find the tiniest relics at a considerable depth.
Found my second Spanish of the year 1 Real 1781. Not in a perfect shape but I actually prefer it this way. My first bent Real. Was curious about it as it seemed like someone scratched an X on it. Wondered at first if it was a counterfeit coin,but after arriving home confirmed it's a ''Real'' deal. :laughing7: Super happy with it, as this year I was dangerously low on Spanish silver.

20171210_144545[3677].jpg
DSC_0058.JPG DSC_0059.JPG

An other bonus were the pewter buttons. For some reason Deus just loved them in the frozen ground. Got a few 1785-1795 enlisted men pewters. British 65th Regiment of foot.

DSC_0067.JPG

Near lunch time decided to visit a spot I have found some Fur trade items. It's a good 30 min drive from the field but knowing I won't be able to visit it again this year decided to give it a try. Was happy to find my first Trade axe of the year and the biggest one so far.

DSC_0073.jpg DSC_0074.JPG

An other interesting find was an old religious medallion that I believe is Catholic.

DSC_0051.JPG DSC_0052.JPG

Than to an other field. Nothing exceptional but a bunch of very cool relics.

My smallest ever horse shoe. Probably used in the squirrel cavalry. :laughing7:
DSC_0055.JPG

And its bigger brother. Never seen this type of horse shoe before.
View attachment DSC_0056.jpg

A few cool relics.
DSC_0054.JPG
DSC_0053.JPG DSC_0075.JPG
DSC_0060.JPG DSC_0061.JPG

A nice little hunt! One more to go this season. I'll be making an other post in a few days.

Thanks for the comments !

Last edited:
Upvote 53
OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I cannot begin to tell you how impressed I am with your research of sites and ability to hone in on the good stuff. Your hunts are top notch and I know just how much work it takes to get those results. I went thru a time when I literally would research 3-4 hours a night. I was staring at maps and doing overlays and looking fir spots that looked right for colonial settlements. I killed it that year and made a couple of lifetime finds. Finding these early cabin sites with no sign of settlement became my passion. Hoping next spring to buy a Deus and get back on that research. Incredibly ill have worked over 600 hours of overtime in 2017. It crushed my hopes of a good year of hunting. But I think I still remember how to do it lol. Keep up the great work and have a wonderful holiday season. 3 Rev buttons and a Spanish would be a BANNER hunt for me. You’ve set the bar so high for yourself that people come to expect it my man

Thanks man. I really appreciate your support and understanding of the efforts that go into finding new sites. It takes me many hours every week just planning my next hunt. I often spend hours and days on a potential site only to find absolutely nothing but being able to scratch it off my list and moving to an other one. But when the strategy pays off it often does in a great way. I was really impressed with this hunt and I have a few more relics that I have managed to save on my latest hunt that officially closed the 2017 season. As soon as I have a chance to write the post I'll put it on TN. I believe my latest find is my favorite Revolutionary War relic since I have started detecting.
Thanks again and good luck with your research and many awesome finds in 2018! You always impress everyone on the forum with your top quality finds. And I have a feeling that if you get the Deus you will impress us much more often.

P.S. Unfortunately those pewter buttons are 1 year late for the Rev War. They started using them in 1785 and continued for about 10 years. Don mentions them in his book.
20171212_230337.jpg

Last edited:

Shakakka

May 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds, and beautiful buttons! By the way, what's a trade axe?

My buddy found this big old axe head at a late 1600's --> present farm, and I cleaned it up for him with electrolysis. I can see it's been used as a felling wedge, would be cool to know how old it was:

before-after-axe.jpg before-after-axe2.jpg

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Found a similar lead whatzit at a British camp in the lowcountry (your last picture). Spanish silver to cap off an incredible year is certainly icing on the cake. Killer digs Aureus

Thank you VMI Digger. Was really happy to see that Spanish shine again.
I believe pepperj gave a possible ID for the item.

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
AHHHHHHHHHHH!
You Canadian & NE US Guys are Killing it, I'd move to step on Yous Guy's /Gals Toes but I despise the Cold but the "Old" would make up for it .

Very Nice finds & hard work paid off.
Davers

Thank you. The main inconvenience of living in the cold environment is the winter months cut 4-5 months out of the detecting season. I seriously dont mind hunting in the cold but when the ground is frozen( like at this moment) it's pretty much done until spring.

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds, and beautiful buttons! By the way, what's a trade axe?

My buddy found this big old axe head at a late 1600's --> present farm, and I cleaned it up for him with electrolysis. I can see it's been used as a felling wedge, would be cool to know how old it was:

View attachment 1525937 View attachment 1525938

Thank you. Trade axes were used by the English and French in the Fur Trade with Native American population in 17th,18th and 19th centuries. They usually have a very distinctive shape and the round eye.

I have found many similar axes as the one in your picture. In Quebec,they were used by the British Army in the late 18th early 19th centuries.

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yes I can attest it’s a awesome book packed
full of information and filled with great photos.

Just got in on Thursday. I have personally never seen a more complete and interesting metal detecting book. The How to of Relics hunting at it's finest.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread