Holy Guacamole Se Habla Espanol !!!

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy Folks. Just when I thought I couldn't have a hunt to top the 1857 Flying Eagle first along with the crazy 14K diamond ring in the ripped in half zip lock bag find, well. The finds are from my last two excursions into this ploughed field. I'll get right to the MEAT of the discoveries. I worked my way deeper into the field and I get a very nice repeatable signal around 78. I am thinking a penny. I dig this thin "silver" thing folded over 90 degrees clean in half. Hmmm?:dontknow: I could barely make out a few letters but had no clue what it was.

Having a pouch full of iron that needed emptied I made it back to the CV. I figured I'd grab the 10X loupe to get a closer look at my mystery silver find. Sure enough, 1784 Carolus III Spanish Flipping SILVER!:o:headbang: I was planning on going back into the field but, said to myself, that's enough buddy. I believe this is a 20 mm one reale coin. Not much for details as it's well worn and bent over pretty good. BUT HEY, I made it into the 1700's Club along with my FIRST Spanish Silver EVER! What a crazy weekend this has been. I must give ya'll some credit for stoking my boiler to continue on even in the cold. Witnessing other T-netters out there freezing their buttocks off getting a few more keepers has challenged me to keep after it as well.

I got some other really cool old relics to go along with my 1784 reale but, I am too drained to give descriptions so just enjoy the pictures. Ya'll be blessed as I know I am for certain. Thanks again for all your encouragement and stopping by to support my efforts here on T-net. Kurios1

1784 Carolus III SILVER Se Habla 001.JPG 1784 Carolus III SILVER Se Habla 005.JPG 1784 Carolus III SILVER Se Habla 006.JPG 1784 Carolus III SILVER Se Habla 007.JPG 1784 Carolus III SILVER Se Habla 008.JPG 1784 Carolus III SILVER Se Habla 009.JPG 1784 Carolus III SILVER Se Habla 019.JPG 1784 Carolus III SILVER Se Habla 013.JPG 1784 Carolus III SILVER Se Habla 015.JPG 1784 Carolus III SILVER Se Habla 023.JPG 1784 Carolus III SILVER Se Habla 024.JPG 1784 Carolus III SILVER Se Habla 016.JPG 1784 Carolus III SILVER Se Habla 017.JPG 1784 Carolus III SILVER Se Habla 018.JPG 1784 Carolus III SILVER Se Habla 021.JPG 1784 Carolus III SILVER Se Habla 022.JPG

Upvote 48
OP
OP
Kurios1

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome. Welcome to the 1700’s silver club! [emoji106]

Thanks mate. I never truly expected to snatch a reale here in Illinois. I figured I'd have to head east to do it. I know they are found here but, pretty scare. Funny thing is I didn't "realey" get excited when I realized what I had. I went nuts in the cornfield when I scored my first 1867 Shield Nickel a few months back. I let out a few whoops when I realized I had my first Flying Eagle Cent a few days ago. I just kinda' shook my head and laughed a bit when I realized I had this old Spanish silver. Perhaps I am still thinking this must be a dream?:sleepy4:

OP
OP
Kurios1

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first Spanish! I have been able to straighten bent Spanish silver before that were literally folded like a taco. But they had more of a radius in the bend. Yours almost looks scored on the inside of the bend, so I'm not sure it would survive in one piece if you tried to straighten it.

Thanks Steve. The coin will stay as it is and be given the Honorable name of "Taco". There's something about recovering history from the dirt and the story that goes with the object. I think certain "flaws" actually add to the story and increase the character of some finds. I love the Indian Head Cent I found earlier this year that had been shot with a .22 bullet. This old folded Spanish silver looks fine to me the way she is. :icon_thumright:

VTColonialDigger

Oct 13, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is one really cool coin!! Looks like it was hit by a plow or disc. Congratulations! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

OP
OP
Kurios1

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one really cool coin!! Looks like it was hit by a plow or disc. Congratulations! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks. I like my Spanish Taco Silver coin. I would have a hard time thinking a plough or disk would do such a "clean" job of bending this coins as it did. I could be wrong but, I was thinking this was done intentionally by the person who lost it. Perhaps with the intent of sectioning it up. No Spanish silver expert but, just judging by how clean and nearly dead center it is I am leaning it was an intentional bending. Thanks again.:icon_thumright:

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils - Garett ACE 250 - Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is Un-REAL! Congrats on a super fantastic killer weekend Kevin!

You may have just encouraged me to go out one last time this weekend LOL!

Im glad you found that Taco! Gives me some hope for a little Midwest Spanish Silver!

OP
OP
Kurios1

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is Un-REAL! Congrats on a super fantastic killer weekend Kevin!

You may have just encouraged me to go out one last time this weekend LOL!

Im glad you found that Taco! Gives me some hope for a little Midwest Spanish Silver!

It's here mate. Just not as well circulated as other areas. You keep doing what you're doing and who knows what will come under your coil?!? I tried again after work and it started snowing to beat the band. I kept swinging but, not much for cool finds. It's been nice exchanging with you mate. Don't forget me as we enter into hibernation!:hello:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to the Real club K1 :occasion14: You've been killing it lately.

MrBlueSkyNM

Apr 18, 2016
New Mexico
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Teknetics T2 Classic
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That Real looks like a mini silver taco! Congrats on that beauty! :occasion14:

RudyT

Nov 23, 2017
LaPorte, Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So hablo espanol! Usted es un hombre con muncha suerte!! Translation: You are a very lucky man. Lol.

Rudy

OP
OP
Kurios1

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That Real looks like a mini silver taco! Congrats on that beauty! :occasion14:

"Taco" is it's name. Don't where it out! Oh, too late. It's already worn out!:laughing9: I occasionally dig and marred or altered coin that actually adds to it's character. I love my Spanish Silver TACO coin!:hello:

OP
OP
Kurios1

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So hablo espanol! Usted es un hombre con muncha suerte!! Translation: You are a very lucky man. Lol.

Rudy

Mucho gracias senor. I am blessed whether or not I feel like it. Finding this coin just confirms what I know to be true. Thanks again!:hello:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
often love token coins were bent in two to prevent the "loved" one from spending them by accident --also Spanish silver coins were often broken into smaller bits to make change when there was no small value copper coins about..

OP
OP
Kurios1

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
often love token coins were bent in two to prevent the "loved" one from spending them by accident --also Spanish silver coins were often broken into smaller bits to make change when there was no small value copper coins about..

Hmmm? I am believing this coin was intentionally bent to the condition it is now. As to whether it was intended to be sectioned out for smaller currency or a "love" token sentimental coin will forever remain a mystery. I like that about this silver Taco. It has a mystery and some character.:hello:

creade

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
n.h.
Detector(s) used
DEUS,root slayer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome job on the silver and relics :occasion14: To me ,there really is no feeling like holding a coin from the 1700s! Keep on hunting that field:tchest:

OP
OP
Kurios1

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome job on the silver and relics :occasion14: To me ,there really is no feeling like holding a coin from the 1700s! Keep on hunting that field:tchest:

It was so unexpected that I really didn't get excited. I will be combing every inch of permission anywhere close to this little hot spot. 1700's is amazing for this part of the country I reckon. I am quite pleased with my silver Taco. Thanks mate.:hello:

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
K1......Pretty sure that coin predates fiat currency, lol.

Huge congrats on a wicked cool piece of history!

OP
OP
Kurios1

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
K1......Pretty sure that coin predates fiat currency, lol.

Huge congrats on a wicked cool piece of history!

I make it known I want OUR money back! LOL! Useless paper. This clamshell Taco silver imported from ??? is real treasure. She's bent over and worn out but, she does have character. Thanks mate.:hello:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread