Carcasses, clad quarter, and a mystery bearing

jsandin

Nov 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I hunted three sites, and at each one I found a carcass. Dog carcass (maybe) by the river, and a deer carcass at each of two forest sites. It's deer season, or close to it.

Found only a 1967 quarter, a sinker, and the brass from a light bulb at the river site. In the woods, I found farm junk, including a bearing that sounds exactly like a coin with the Tesoro uMax. It's a steel bearing and I think I can see the rusted balls inside. It's heavy. Why would this not be eliminated when I've set the detector to do that? I'm thinking there's metal other than steel in it. Or maybe the shape has something to do with it.

finds 12-8-17.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 6
OP
OP
jsandin

jsandin

Nov 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Some things just can't be discriminated out with Umax detectors, especially larger items.

That's good to know.

This detector seems to have a sweet spot relevant to this issue. I air-tested the chunk of cast iron (lower right) vs the bearing. The cast iron got discriminated out, but the bearing fooled it every time!

Evidently, if I'm not in that sweet spot when I hunt amongst junk, I end up digging more than my share of big square steel nuts and random compact hunks of iron. The more compact they are, the better they sound. I mark them with a fluorescent red stick and come back a few minutes later to dig them, which means that I no longer remember what the beep sounded like. I may stop doing that.

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
That's good to know.

This detector seems to have a sweet spot relevant to this issue. I air-tested the chunk of cast iron (lower right) vs the bearing. The cast iron got discriminated out, but the bearing fooled it every time!

Evidently, if I'm not in that sweet spot when I hunt amongst junk, I end up digging more than my share of big square steel nuts and random compact hunks of iron. The more compact they are, the better they sound. I mark them with a fluorescent red stick and come back a few minutes later to dig them, which means that I no longer remember what the beep sounded like. I may stop doing that.

I agree with your sweet spot assessment. My Sidewinder (Umax) behaves the same. The bearing you found most likely has stainless steel balls. I'd hazard a guess that the iron has leached onto them giving them the appearance of being iron.

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Man i used to sell a lot of those Sidewinder Umax first "Surface Mount Technology" in the industry... small and lite in weight .
I remember getting my first shipment of those Umax`s and the first box i picked up i had to open to see if there was anything in the box.
Great machine .
Gary
Picture 89.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
jsandin

jsandin

Nov 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I agree with your sweet spot assessment. My Sidewinder (Umax) behaves the same. The bearing you found most likely has stainless steel balls. I'd hazard a guess that the iron has leached onto them giving them the appearance of being iron.
I never considered that the detector might react differently to stainless steel. Now it all makes sense.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread