Civil War Relics To A WWII Service Medal & Silver!

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went back to one of the old house lots that they are now scraping off with the dozers. This opened new ground that I couldn't get to and I'm glad I got back to save a few old coins and relics. I was really surprised to see the WWII American Defense Service Medal. This medal was issued by Franklin D. Roosevelt in 1941 and was intended to recognize those military service members who had served on active duty between September 8, 1939 and December 7, 1941. The back of the medal reads ''FOR SERVICE DURING THE LIMITED EMERGENCY PROCLAIMED BY THE PRESIDENT ON SEPTEMBER 8,1939 OR DURING THE UNLIMITED EMERGENCY PROCLAIMED BY THE PRESIDENT ON MAY 27,1941'' This is such an awesome find and even more so to find it one day before the anniversary of Pearl Harbor! A shame it was lost but I'm happy to have it in my collection to share now.

Sunday I was out and about and had about an hour to kill in between my errands. I found a spot a while back on the old maps that used to have a big farm house that sat way off the main road. All of this area now is developed with businesses, but there is one small patch of ground that has a large maple tree standing and I was thinking that it might have some undisturbed areas around it. It was such a shot in the dark to have anything there but worth trying for the time I had. I got to detecting and within a few minutes I got a decent signal and was excited to see a Minie ball there in the dirt. I worked the small area beside the tree and found two more bullets and a General Service Eagle Button! I couldn't believe this small area was holding some goodies. I imagine the soldiers must have camped all around this old house. All the bullets I've found are different types. I went back last night and found one that I've never seen before. It's a large .69 caliber Enfield type with a wood plug. I've seen the .577 Enfields with the plug but not this size. I'm not sure if it's a British bullet or what? I would like some help with identifying.

It's sad to see the development that covers up so much history but it's very rewarding to find a pocket of ground that has some relics to be saved. I will spend some more time in this area and hope to save as much as I can. HH-David

7FFmUUF.jpg TkkhJln.jpg ESlMM9V.jpg

TtuDOC9.jpg azMbXPz.jpg UlNaaly.jpg

Upvote 30

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats quite a pile of keepers there

scruggs

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2008
Northern Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You selected a good spot and made some really nice finds! Good luck on your return trips to this site!

JBnNC

May 25, 2013
North Carolina
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
In the book "Civil War Projectiles II", on p36 it illustrates a couple of 69 cal. bullets similar to yours(but with no plug)....and states "Tower for rifled musket". That's a beautiful bullet, I hope that someone can be more specific. Congrats on the CW finds.--JB

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damn well done Soops! Very nice grouping of finds. Great coins and relics. What more could you ask fir

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Killer set of finds sir!

I really like the CW bullets and button.

Big congrats.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome relic and old coin shooting! :occasion14:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome hunt and post. Ya just never know what;s there unless you swing your coil over it. I bet you stayed stoked the whole hunt. I recon you'll be looking for more of these kind of sites.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you freakin kidding me those are amazing a couple more hunts you could open a Museum.. Good job!!!!!!

Gene Mean

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2016
Central NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Equinox 800
Eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That WW2 service medal is great! Nice collection of lead too. Looks like you found a great spot they uncovered for you.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a very sweet hunt.
From Civil War to WWII. Well done.
Congratulations on your finds.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sooper Dave

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the book "Civil War Projectiles II", on p36 it illustrates a couple of 69 cal. bullets similar to yours(but with no plug)....and states "Tower for rifled musket". That's a beautiful bullet, I hope that someone can be more specific. Congrats on the CW finds.--JB

Thanks JB! You're right on with the ID on that bullet. It is a Tower or Tower Enfield.

OP
OP
Sooper Dave

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damn well done Soops! Very nice grouping of finds. Great coins and relics. What more could you ask fir

Thanks Ahab!

OP
OP
Sooper Dave

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome hunt and post. Ya just never know what;s there unless you swing your coil over it. I bet you stayed stoked the whole hunt. I recon you'll be looking for more of these kind of sites.

Thanks Loco! Yeah it's fun to find any CW relics but it's a blast when you luck up on multiples from the same spot. Yeah I'm going to try and find more pockets around here that might have a keeper or two to save.

OP
OP
Sooper Dave

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you freakin kidding me those are amazing a couple more hunts you could open a Museum.. Good job!!!!!!

Thanks bud!

OP
OP
Sooper Dave

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That WW2 service medal is great! Nice collection of lead too. Looks like you found a great spot they uncovered for you.

Thanks Gene! Very excited over the WWII Service Medal.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread