Got the bucket lister! ''The Two Tens'' - My best preserved Burgoyne's Army button.

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
With the last possible hunt this year, decided to hit an area where I have found an other Burgoyne's Army button a few months back.
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/556501-rare-type-revolutionary-war-button-amazing-condition.html
The spot is a long drive from my usual hunting grounds and with a very limited daylight this time of year I couldn't expect a long hunt. Not sure why I went after all but something was calling me there. The plowed field was partially frozen so had to concentrate around the patches of land on the sides of the field where it was still relatively soft. As I said in my previous post for some reason Deus just loves partially frozen ground, the signals were clear and I could easily separate the deep iron from the non ferrous. I put the machine on the deepest setting and started scanning the ground. After 40 min. of the hunt got a nice deep signal, in the small coin range. From a pinpointer depth removed the chunk of earth containing the find. I could only see a silver edge of a medium sized item so the first thought that went through my mind was ''an other Real''. You can imagine how excited I was at that point. Carefully removed the earth from the item only to realize that it's something I have never found before but certainly not a coin. Than it hit me...An other 20th!
I couldn't believe my eye's. Even with the earth still stuck to it the button looked in absolutely amazing condition.

20171211_185215[3701].jpg

It's my first Revolutionary War British 20th Regiment of Foot wreath design button.

DSC_0089.JPG 20171211_185335[3700].jpg

The condition of this thing is stunning. Every leaf of the raised pattern wreath is clearly visible, same goes for the XX At first I thought I damaged it with my shovel as its circle seemed a bit out of shape, but after washing the dirt off it seems to be cast this way. Again, I believe the depth combined with lack of oxygen made sure it did not deteriorate after almost 250 years spent in the ground. The regiment history and the almost miraculous conservation state of such a delicate ''raised'' pattern makes me think it's my favorite Revolutionary War find since I started detecting. (I hope my other buttons won't mind me saying that :laughing7:)

20171213_185109[3718].jpg
Inked20171213_161315[3690]_LI.jpg
Ref: Insignia of independence (Troiani,Kochan)

As you have probably guessed, super excited about my latest Revolutionary War relic. A great closing of the season! :headbang:

P.S. And here's the weather in Quebec.
20171213_174114[3716].jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 55

vonrall

Apr 17, 2009

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a beautiful find!!! How deep was it?

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks pepperj
Trust me, I haven't hunted for a few days now. Can't even get my car out of the snowbank. Was fortunate enough to get out on the last day before the storm and the cold weather. The season is over, no doubts about it.

Your messing with us now, the 8" snow, -20C temps and popping an awesome button as this. Congrats on the beauty and season ender!

Uh huh. I know exactly what you hosers are doing right now egh. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1513299728.919337.jpg

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The history and condition of this remarkable find is simply amazing! Way to get on the road and follow your hunch. It led you straight to the GLORY hole! Beautiful recovery along with your research and gut instinct. Treasure hunting brilliance!:icon_salut:

Thank you Kurios1 Doing my best to save every relic :icon_salut:

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Dude are you kidding me???? Super BANNER! Love it

Thanks man. I really do appreciate that you didn't give up on trying to put one of my Rev War relics up there. I know some did and I can't blame them.
I'm super excited about this one particularly. As I have mentioned, its condition is just out of this world. I have seen a couple of similar finds in museums and private collections and none seemed to display such a detail. To pull the 250 years old pewter from the dry ground in such a phenomenal state, from a regiment with such an interesting history and only one day before a major storm and the seasons closing...I feel like for me Christmas came early this year.

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I must say that find really pushes my button :laughing7: - the button to vote banner!!! It's a pewter button??? If so, I don't recall seeing a dug Rev. War button in such amazing condition. No matter. It's a banner find all day long. Voting now.

Gene Mean

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2016
Central NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Equinox 800
Eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for the history lesson. I saw you're in Canada and I said wait a minute, how's he finding rev war? I had no idea Burgoyne came down through Canada until I looked it up.

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
When you say few I assume you mean early British numbered and not specifically 20th regiment?

I don't like to never say never but based on what I've seen here over 17 years here condition like that, or anything close, is an impossibility out of a farm field. I believe the only hope could be pasture or woods, and we havn't seen it from pastures yet, and very rarely hunt in the woods. Basically never. That's why finding my two 42nd buttons a while back was bitter sweet because it was the one time the site extended into the woods and I dug a couple of Rev War military.. so it was the one chance for one that was actually round, and maybe even nice. But wasn't to be.

I believe our soil conditions are totally different. You usually pull a good quantity of coppers in a very good state, where as I rarely find any copper coins in a better than ''just barely able to ID condition''. But when it comes to pewter it seems to be the contrary. Our soil seems to be much more gentle on them. I have pulled a few Rev War buttons in the field that were in a very good to great condition. It seems like the clay soil of St-Laurent's Valley prefers pewter to copper. Not sure which one is better. One of my major bucket listers is a copper French coin. From what I have seen, if I ever find one, it would take an other miracle for me to be able to positively ID it.

Last edited:

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I can say is wow!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's freaking awesome. I think we got ourselves an unknown example of the Rev War officers pattern. Great find!
Really! Glad I posted it, I felt a little bad hijacking your great post. It's just anytime I get a chance to learn something more, I take it. CHEERS
It got me digging in the collection & I'm only going half mad, as I do have 1 bad pewter example (not the couple I first thought!)
Hope you get banner.

Attachments

• 1a.JPG
    1a.JPG
    91 KB · Views: 49

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really! Glad I posted it, I felt a little bad hijacking your great post. It's just anytime I get a chance to learn something more, I take it. CHEERS
It got me digging in the collection & I'm only going half mad, as I do have 1 bad pewter example (not the couple I first thought!)
Hope you get banner.

My favorite part of Tnet. People working together and sharing knowledge. Usually it’s Cru educating the rest of us. So it’s cool to see you getting an assist from others. Too bad that pewter example is broken. That’s got great detail. I really hope this goes BANNER. It certainly deserves.

Eastcoasthunter21

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2015
New York/Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DEUS ALL THE WAY
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That has to be my favorite button that I’ve seen dug
What a score , great piece of history.
Great recovery, keep it up. Hh gl.