Got the bucket lister! ''The Two Tens'' - My best preserved Burgoyne's Army button.

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
With the last possible hunt this year, decided to hit an area where I have found an other Burgoyne's Army button a few months back.
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/556501-rare-type-revolutionary-war-button-amazing-condition.html
The spot is a long drive from my usual hunting grounds and with a very limited daylight this time of year I couldn't expect a long hunt. Not sure why I went after all but something was calling me there. The plowed field was partially frozen so had to concentrate around the patches of land on the sides of the field where it was still relatively soft. As I said in my previous post for some reason Deus just loves partially frozen ground, the signals were clear and I could easily separate the deep iron from the non ferrous. I put the machine on the deepest setting and started scanning the ground. After 40 min. of the hunt got a nice deep signal, in the small coin range. From a pinpointer depth removed the chunk of earth containing the find. I could only see a silver edge of a medium sized item so the first thought that went through my mind was ''an other Real''. You can imagine how excited I was at that point. Carefully removed the earth from the item only to realize that it's something I have never found before but certainly not a coin. Than it hit me...An other 20th!
I couldn't believe my eye's. Even with the earth still stuck to it the button looked in absolutely amazing condition.

20171211_185215[3701].jpg

It's my first Revolutionary War British 20th Regiment of Foot wreath design button.

DSC_0089.JPG 20171211_185335[3700].jpg

The condition of this thing is stunning. Every leaf of the raised pattern wreath is clearly visible, same goes for the XX At first I thought I damaged it with my shovel as its circle seemed a bit out of shape, but after washing the dirt off it seems to be cast this way. Again, I believe the depth combined with lack of oxygen made sure it did not deteriorate after almost 250 years spent in the ground. The regiment history and the almost miraculous conservation state of such a delicate ''raised'' pattern makes me think it's my favorite Revolutionary War find since I started detecting. (I hope my other buttons won't mind me saying that :laughing7:)

20171213_185109[3718].jpg
Inked20171213_161315[3690]_LI.jpg
Ref: Insignia of independence (Troiani,Kochan)

As you have probably guessed, super excited about my latest Revolutionary War relic. A great closing of the season! :headbang:

P.S. And here's the weather in Quebec.
20171213_174114[3716].jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 55
OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Really! Glad I posted it, I felt a little bad hijacking your great post. It's just anytime I get a chance to learn something more, I take it. CHEERS
It got me digging in the collection & I'm only going half mad, as I do have 1 bad pewter example (not the couple I first thought!)
Hope you get banner.

Thanks Cru. Maybe I jumped into conclusion too fast from over excitement but that's my opinion and that of a few Rev War and 1812 collectors I showed it to so far. No one has seen a similar example and all agree it's early (1700's). Vonrall is probably right though, could be a few years after the Rev War, that would also explain why we never seen this one found in North America.

It's a great button man! I sure hope that mystery will be solved soon. And don't worry,you're not hijacking my post.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Uh huh. I know exactly what you hosers are doing right now egh. View attachment 1526345

Where did you get that pic Scrappy...that was supposed to be private. That's exactly what we're doing during the long winter months :laughing7:

P.S. Had to get my dictionary to see what's ''hosers''. Never heard this word in Canada.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have a few of this type but that is 10 times nicer condition than any of mine - very nice!

Thanks man. I sure wouldn't mind finding some of your relics in a 10 times worst condition. :laughing7:

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You have racked up quite a collection of Rev War buttons this year. If you keep this rate up, you'll be able to write your own book soon.

I doubt I could keep going at this rate but who knows.That would be really nice.

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Im not a button man and confess i know nothing about them but your excitement is infectious and i cannot help but share in your sense of joy , well done m8

Thank you, very nice of you.
Yes hard to hide my excitement about this find.

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I must say that find really pushes my button :laughing7: - the button to vote banner!!! It's a pewter button??? If so, I don't recall seeing a dug Rev. War button in such amazing condition. No matter. It's a banner find all day long. Voting now.

Thanks STC. I really appreciate your support on this one.

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for the history lesson. I saw you're in Canada and I said wait a minute, how's he finding rev war? I had no idea Burgoyne came down through Canada until I looked it up.

A few Revolutionary War battles were actually fought in Canada.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
http://asahelena.wixsite.com/militarybuttons/copy-of-regt-of-foot--regular-units

20th Regt of Foot

ο»ΏRef No: 472- ​

Image Source: DP

​Notes:ο»Ώ The design for the 20th did not change much and the earlier style of this button does not have the crown and also has a beaded rim. The MS & ID maker on this one refers to Mark Sanders & John Deakin.​

abc140_d39b94e4e9e4466d8ee0c18e350e1572.jpg

​​​Description: Crowned XX within spray of leaves. ​
Category:​​​ Regular Army; ​
Type of button: Slightly convex 19mm ​; ​
Metal: Copper Alloy silvered; Backmark​: Best Quality MS & ID;
Date​: 1800-1820 ​

Last edited:
OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
http://asahelena.wixsite.com/militarybuttons/copy-of-regt-of-foot--regular-units

20th Regt of Foot

ο»ΏRef No: 472- [FONT=&]​

[FONT=&]Image Source: DP[/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&]​Notes:ο»Ώ The design for the 20th did not change much and the earlier style of this button does not have the crown and also has a beaded rim. The MS & ID maker on this one refers to Mark Sanders & John Deakin.​
[/FONT]

abc140_d39b94e4e9e4466d8ee0c18e350e1572.jpg

[FONT=&]​​​Description: Crowned XX within spray of leaves. ​
[FONT=&]Category:​​​ Regular Army; ​[/FONT]
[FONT=&]Type of button: Slightly convex 19mm ​; ​[/FONT]
[FONT=&]Metal: Copper Alloy silvered; Backmark​: Best Quality MS & ID;
Date​: 1800-1820 ​
[/FONT]

[/FONT]

Yes, I saw that link pepperj. Thank you. The question is if Cru's button dates to the between the wars period or Rev War itself. I'm very curious about it. To me personally, the design seems not elaborate enough to be post Rev War. My first thought was the same as I.P's that it's 1770's
Silver XX.JPG
I really hope someone will come up with an other pic of that design before this post goes cold.

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yes, I saw that pepperj. Thanks. The question is if Cru's button dates to the between the wars period or Rev War itself. I'm very curious about.

Looks like the haven't a ref. picture of your style of button, maybe a query to the site might be interesting. Your button is a photogenic piece of history, which would look great on a ref.forum.

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looks like the haven't a ref. picture of your style of button, maybe a query to the site might be interesting. Your button is a photogenic piece of history, which would look great on a ref.forum.

I never thought of it actually. Thanks. I will send them a pic.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread