Got the bucket lister! ''The Two Tens'' - My best preserved Burgoyne's Army button.

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
With the last possible hunt this year, decided to hit an area where I have found an other Burgoyne's Army button a few months back.
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/556501-rare-type-revolutionary-war-button-amazing-condition.html
The spot is a long drive from my usual hunting grounds and with a very limited daylight this time of year I couldn't expect a long hunt. Not sure why I went after all but something was calling me there. The plowed field was partially frozen so had to concentrate around the patches of land on the sides of the field where it was still relatively soft. As I said in my previous post for some reason Deus just loves partially frozen ground, the signals were clear and I could easily separate the deep iron from the non ferrous. I put the machine on the deepest setting and started scanning the ground. After 40 min. of the hunt got a nice deep signal, in the small coin range. From a pinpointer depth removed the chunk of earth containing the find. I could only see a silver edge of a medium sized item so the first thought that went through my mind was ''an other Real''. You can imagine how excited I was at that point. Carefully removed the earth from the item only to realize that it's something I have never found before but certainly not a coin. Than it hit me...An other 20th!
I couldn't believe my eye's. Even with the earth still stuck to it the button looked in absolutely amazing condition.

20171211_185215[3701].jpg

It's my first Revolutionary War British 20th Regiment of Foot wreath design button.

DSC_0089.JPG 20171211_185335[3700].jpg

The condition of this thing is stunning. Every leaf of the raised pattern wreath is clearly visible, same goes for the XX At first I thought I damaged it with my shovel as its circle seemed a bit out of shape, but after washing the dirt off it seems to be cast this way. Again, I believe the depth combined with lack of oxygen made sure it did not deteriorate after almost 250 years spent in the ground. The regiment history and the almost miraculous conservation state of such a delicate ''raised'' pattern makes me think it's my favorite Revolutionary War find since I started detecting. (I hope my other buttons won't mind me saying that :laughing7:)

20171213_185109[3718].jpg
Inked20171213_161315[3690]_LI.jpg
Ref: Insignia of independence (Troiani,Kochan)

As you have probably guessed, super excited about my latest Revolutionary War relic. A great closing of the season! :headbang:

P.S. And here's the weather in Quebec.
20171213_174114[3716].jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 55

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find. Sorry for so late.
I also have one in great condition, thanks to pepperJ somewhat answered my question. Mine is pewter with wreath, but there is a crown above the 2 XX. I am curious if your book shows this variety ?
IMG_2246.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great find. Sorry for so late.
I also have one in great condition, thanks to pepperJ somewhat answered my question. Mine is pewter with wreath, but there is a crown above the 2 XX. I am curious if your book shows this variety ?
View attachment 1577438

I believe this one is of a later type. I have seen it before but it's not in a Rev War book. My guess would be anywhere from 1815-1840 I don't believe they were in Canada in the War of 1812. Maybe Rebellion of 1837-39

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread