IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are one lucky SOB! What a find! VERY nice work!

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only Large Cent I'm going to find out here, is one that's been run over by a train.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I love those Draped bust coppers. Not in bad shape either. Congrats

califteacher

Sep 30, 2012
Vista, San Diego County, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030 and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Congratulations on a very nice find. I have yet to find a "1906" coin, much less one a hundred years older. Thank you for the motivating post.

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Well done sir. That's a nice Draped Bust you got there.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Love the old coppers, congratulations! :occasion14:

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very well done, congrats. Would love to hear the story behind the find!

OP
OP
dirtdog5584

dirtdog5584

Nov 9, 2017
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very well done, congrats. Would love to hear the story behind the find!

I'm a newb. Got into metal detecting this summer, my Dad had a Bounty Hunter in his garage that he bought through Cabelas a few years ago, but he never got into it. My parent's house is a few miles from me in Aldie, VA and is 10 acres at the base of a mountain on an old farm with some civil war history. A few MD'rs have asked for and received their permission to dig the land over the years, but nobody had spent more than a day or two hunting. Someone said they thought there was a civil war cavalry camp somewhere on the property but didn't know where.

I've been learning and getting into the the hobby since the summer, including the research side of things. I have been digging there a few hours a week, and finding mostly trash and junk, but some old nails and farm stuff. My best find before the large cent was a civil war era pistol bullet. I have two young sons who sometimes get out there with me. The large cent was only the second coin I've dug. The only one before was a quarter from 1984.

This past Sunday I had some freetime before a Christmas family gathering at my parent's house I got out there with my bounty hunter. Was gonna hunt the area in the woods near a bend in what's now the driveway but the leaves were too thick so I went to an area along the driveway. Marked a bunch of targets. First one I dig is a sprinkler head, oops sorry dad. Second one I dig the plug and determine the target is out with the plug before I see it.

I wasn't sure what it is at first, a coin or a button. Could not see any markings whatsoever. Rubbed it on my pants a little still nothing. Showed my mom she thought it was a button. My dad thought it was an old plug to an electrical box LOL. Held on to it all day during the family gathering, when I got home i got some toothpicks and scraped off some dirt and rubbed a tiny bit of water on it. That's when the markings showed up and I said holy **** this is an old coin.

After that I showed my wife and then it took me about 5 minutes to figure out that it's an 1806 large cent. I was pretty excited. So that's the story, I'll be out there looking for more soon!

Here's some of the junk I've been finding before the coin and the pistol bullet:

53514631281__E05B9B4A-EF06-4C1B-A282-F53DE559C9ED.JPG

53514642075__4EDF571D-91B1-4950-A9E4-D525E9820F69.JPG

IMG_1871.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions