A Huge First For Me With Two Civil War US Belt Buckles!!!

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was busy Saturday with chores and it was our anniversary, but I managed to get 30 minutes of detecting in at dark on a new spot I've been digging Civil War relics out of. I headed straight to a grown up fence line and my first signal was iffy, like a deep bullet right in the thick brush. I'm under there on my hands and knees hoping for a bullet and out pops a complete US spur! I couldn't believe it didn't make more of a high tone but I sure was excited! I took a few pics of it in the dark and hunted a little bit longer digging trash and then lucked up on a New York Militia button. It's smashed and crusty but a cool find. I got home and handed the spur to my wife and told her I got her something nice for our anniversary. She loved it but I don't think that's what she had in mind for a gift. It's a model 1859 plain and it appears that someone started to carve their initials into the side.

The next morning my wife said I should go back to that spot and she would go with me to finish her Christmas shopping on her phone while sitting in the truck. Man I've got the best wife ever! We stopped for breakfast and coffee to go and away we went. It was a cold and rainy morning and she just laughed at the crazy fool for a husband to be out digging in this mess. I got to hunting and started things off with a nice Williams cleaner and then an Infantry Eagle button. As I would find a relic I would walk over to the truck and put it on the console for her to check out. I didn't dig anything but trash for a long time and I was digging anything that made a signal that I could pinpoint on. I worked my way over to a tree and got a great high tone that was a beer can down under the roots. I moved over beside that hole and got another nice tone and was in shock when I saw the S and knew I had half of a US plate and my first one! I ran over to the truck and couldn't get the words out fast enough. She was as excited as I was, or pretty close to it. I took a bunch of pics and sent texts out to some buddies. I finally pulled myself back together and continued on, but kept replaying that moment over and over. It slowed way down again as I dug pull tab after pull tab and tons of other great sounding garbage. By now my finds pouch was filled with trash and I was thinking it was time to head out. I figured I would give it another hour but then I found a nice dimpled base Sharps and then a smashed 3 ringer. I worked my way back to the area that I've made most the finds and just slowed down even more. I got another nice Eagle button and then a nice 3 ringer. I found myself back close to the tree where I got the buckle half. About 12' away from that spot I had another nice tone and dug a nice big plug. As I was scooping dirt out I saw what I thought was a glimpse of the little "puppy paw" on the back of a buckle. I immediately jumped up took my headphones off and widened the hole way out so I wouldn't risk hitting what ever was in this hole. I go back in by hand, I feel something to grab a hold of and I pull out a rusty old horseshoe. I just laughed about how my mind was playing tricks on me and that from the shape of the horseshoe and having very little discrimination on the Etrac it must have falsed in as a high tone. I hung the shoe on the side of my pouch and covered the hole back up nice and neat. I stood up and rechecked the hole and there was that high tone still screaming at me. In an instant I'm pulling the plug back up, scooping dirt out as fast as I can and sure enough I pull up a beautiful complete US belt buckle! I dropped it like I was just electrocuted, quickly ran over to the truck and by then I was just grunting and pointing like a caveman but some how she knew to come over and check out what I had just discovered. She was in as much disbelief as me and thought I was messing with her. It's a humbling experience to see these relics come out of the ground, especially one that was so personal to a soldier. A belt buckle that had a soldier's hands on it many times. It makes you stop and wonder how it ended up there and what happened to the man that wore it. Well after that I was pretty much done on concentrating on anything else. I don't think I could have ended the hunt on a higher note. This hunt is probably the most special one I've had with just the Civil War history I was able to save but even more to share the experience with my wife. HH-David

tY6vsw4.jpg 8TUKhNL.jpg NPvSgan.jpg

CRjJDDI.jpg OjVmfq8.jpg AbTRR6J.jpg

PZlVJvm.jpg oABWsgt.jpg 8sz1Izd.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 67

Dirtwisher

Nov 1, 2013
MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 9" and 11", AT Pro, Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow that’s a hunt of a lifetime

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Giant congrats Dave, on marrying a good girl and finding treasure.

You have really done well this year.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding hunt and great post! I also like to reflect on the relics, it really brings the history to life. Two buckles in one day is amazing, and both from the same site. I also like the spur. Thanks for sharing

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds and an excellent post!

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
38A915CC-9153-4426-8E72-2108B45DEBBF.gif

It helps to have a supportive spouse in this hobby. Many reasons but the top two are time and money this hobby requires.

Your finds inspire all of us to keep swinging that coil low and slow(unless you are using the Deus then you can swing it like a whip...LOL)

Very nice photos of your treasure hunt, I especially like the. One your wife took of you taking the picture of your US belt buckle. Very nice documentation of this event.

Good luck and thanx for sharing, it made my day knowing that a fellow detectorist was successful.

Merry Christmas

9D518DA8-40EF-4F81-A380-AE5E1DB45C41.jpeg

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a day. That's the kind of hunt dreams are made of. Congrats! :occasion14:

DiggerKid2003

Jul 5, 2014
Spotsylvania VA
Detector(s) used
Garret At Pro, Garret Pro Pointer, Wireless Z-Lynk headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
An amazing day! 2 plates in 1 day and I haven't even found 1 yet but hopefully someday soon. HH and GL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread