Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Loads of 17th century clay pipe bowls and stems plus another cool find

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Oct 2013
    Topsham, Maine
    Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
    7543 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    My goodness I hope folks understand just how hard it is to find those high concentrations of 17th Century relics. Finding one of those 1600s items would be a dream come true for most. You guys found a tote full. Really happy to see you getting out. I know in 2017 you were completely wrapped up with writing that masterpiece book of yours. Cool that your buddy had you sign it in the dirt. Iím glad I got of those books because Iím positive it will be one of those that is almost impossible to get your hands on in the future. It is THE COLONIAL BIBLE!!!! Just like our buddy Beau (Aquachigger) so kindly said on his YouTube review. Super proud of you pal
    Scrappy and Aureus like this.
    "Life which is lived without zest and adventure-is not life at all."
    -F.A. Mitchell-Hedges, British Explorer
    2017 BEST FINDS
    -1723 KG1
    -Colonial Cufflinks
    Oldest Coin To Date: 1652 Pine Tree Shilling NOE 29
    Colonial Silver To Date: 11
    Hammered Coins To Date: 1664 Potosi Mint COB
    1653 Copper Cob

Quote Originally Posted by Ahab8 View Post
    My goodness I hope folks understand just how hard it is to find those high concentrations of 17th Century relics. Finding one of those 1600s items would be a dream come true for most. You guys found a tote full. Really happy to see you getting out. I know in 2017 you were completely wrapped up with writing that masterpiece book of yours. Cool that your buddy had you sign it in the dirt. I’m glad I got of those books because I’m positive it will be one of those that is almost impossible to get your hands on in the future. It is THE COLONIAL BIBLE!!!! Just like our buddy Beau (Aquachigger) so kindly said on his YouTube review. Super proud of you pal
    Thanks for all the kind words Abe. And you're right - the book has been well-received and is selling extremely well. Not sure how long they'll last, but I'm definitely not going to pursue a 2nd printing as I need to finally get back to my digging life which I've mostly sacrificed over the last 2-3 years while working on this huge project. I didn't realize how much I missed getting out until Wednesday's dig, and it doesn't get any better than spending times like that with good friends, or with pulling out a 17th century pipe bowl every 5 minutes. Those are rare moments that we have to cherish as you might never get the opportunity to experience that again. Good to hear from ya buddy, and I hope a warm spell comes your way although things are not looking good at this point (even down here!).
    Scrappy, VMI Digger and fishstick like this.
    MY BOOK HAS SOLD OUT OF ALL 1200+ COPIES IN LESS THAN 4 MONTHS. NO 2ND PRINTING IS ANTICIPATED AT THIS TIME. THANKS TO ALL WHO MADE THIS PROJECT A SUCCESS.

us
    Jun 2015
    ES of Maryland
    XP Deus Minelab Equinox
    5655 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Nice finds. I highly recommend everybody pick up a copy of your book as well though you need to include a chapter on pomanders. Lol
    Last edited by toasted; Dec 29, 2017 at 12:04 PM.
    Bill D. (VA) likes this.
    Favorite finds
    Colonial silver pomander c. 1700-several complete 17th century buckles-Charles II half real cob-Philip V 1 real cob-Philip V cut Pistareen-colonial silver cufflink-1781 Half Real-gold cufflink-1852 Gold $1-Seated Half Dollar-2 Seated Quarters-24 Seated Dimes-9 Seated Half Dimes-4 Trimes-1865 French 50 centimes love token-10k class ring

us
    Oct 2013
    Topsham, Maine
    Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
    7543 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill D. (VA) View Post
    Thanks for all the kind words Abe. And you're right - the book has been well-received and is selling extremely well. Not sure how long they'll last, but I'm definitely not going to pursue a 2nd printing as I need to finally get back to my digging life which I've mostly sacrificed over the last 2-3 years while working on this huge project. I didn't realize how much I missed getting out until Wednesday's dig, and it doesn't get any better than spending times like that with good friends, or with pulling out a 17th century pipe bowl every 5 minutes. Those are rare moments that we have to cherish as you might never get the opportunity to experience that again. Good to hear from ya buddy, and I hope a warm spell comes your way although things are not looking good at this point (even down here!).
    These have been the wind chills. Itís going to continue this way for awhile. Maybe the frost will be 8í deep and push up the really early finds lol
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1514579893.368855.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	258.9 KB 
ID:	1531448
    Kurios1 likes this.
    "Life which is lived without zest and adventure-is not life at all."
    -F.A. Mitchell-Hedges, British Explorer
    2017 BEST FINDS
    -1723 KG1
    -Colonial Cufflinks
    Oldest Coin To Date: 1652 Pine Tree Shilling NOE 29
    Colonial Silver To Date: 11
    Hammered Coins To Date: 1664 Potosi Mint COB
    1653 Copper Cob

us
    Feb 2014
    Lowcountry, South Carolina
    CTX-3030, Deus XP, Garrett Pro Pointer
    3777 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (3)
    That's some serious sifting work Bill, finding that bellarmine jug top would certainly be the highlight for me. Congrats on the pile of pipe bowls
    2018 Best Coins

-1721 Rosa Americana
    -1727-1760 KGII
    -1781 1 Real
    -1783 Nova Constellatio
    -1786 1/2 Real
    -1797 1 Real
    -1816 Large Cent
    -1859, 1888 IHP
    -1867 Shield Nickle

Oldest Coin To Date: 1607 Philip III 1/2 Real Cob

2018 Best Relics

-82nd Regiment of Foot
    -1812 Rifleman Regiment
    -1820 Patriotic cockade button
    -1660-1720 buckle
    -1500-1650 strap buckle pair
    -Pewter pipe fragment
    -SC militia button
    -General service eagles

Quote Originally Posted by VMI Digger View Post
    That's some serious sifting work Bill, finding that bellarmine jug top would certainly be the highlight for me. Congrats on the pile of pipe bowls
    Thanks Jon. We still can't figure out why there were so many early pipe bowls in this spot, and virtually no glass. But I'm not complaining ....
    MY BOOK HAS SOLD OUT OF ALL 1200+ COPIES IN LESS THAN 4 MONTHS. NO 2ND PRINTING IS ANTICIPATED AT THIS TIME. THANKS TO ALL WHO MADE THIS PROJECT A SUCCESS.

A pit with lots of pipe bowls and stems isn't bad. Great history lesson again! I never got a pipe bowl with a makers mark here, but i absolutely love that bearded man! Do you know if these are German made?
    btw... want one? https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-bartmannskrug/k0

Charter Member
    us
    Kevin

Feb 2017
    FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
    Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
    7078 times
    Well winter and the DEEP FREEZE has set in. I can now begin to dig into your book and learn how a tried and true treasure hunter gets all this really cool stuff. Amazing sight and much respect you aren't "afraid" to share your methods for finding and recovering these historic finds. You are an incredible friend and asset to the community Bill. You also have given me more than a few winter time assignments to stepping up my game in this wonderful treasure hunting journey. ~S~
    Last edited by Kurios1; Dec 30, 2017 at 04:18 PM.
    Proverbs 3:5-6

Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
    In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

Charter Member
    us
    Kevin

Feb 2017
    FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
    Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
    7078 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahab8 View Post
    These have been the wind chills. It’s going to continue this way for awhile. Maybe the frost will be 8’ deep and push up the really early finds lol

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1514579893.368855.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	258.9 KB 
ID:	1531448
    LOL!!! Thanks mate. One has to search for ANY bright spot in these frozen days. Thanks for the laugh.
    Proverbs 3:5-6

Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
    In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

Quote Originally Posted by Westfront View Post
    A pit with lots of pipe bowls and stems isn't bad. Great history lesson again! I never got a pipe bowl with a makers mark here, but i absolutely love that bearded man! Do you know if these are German made?
    btw... want one? https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-bartmannskrug/k0
    Thanks man. I already have a whole bellarmine as pictured in my book. One of my favorite early ceramic examples for sure.

Name:	Screenshot_20171231-082132.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	1532158

Quote Originally Posted by Kurios1 View Post
    Well winter and the DEEP FREEZE has set in. I can now begin to dig into your book and learn how a tried and true treasure hunter gets all this really cool stuff. Amazing sight and much respect you aren't "afraid" to share your methods for finding and recovering these historic finds. You are an incredible friend and asset to the community Bill. You also have given me more than a few winter time assignments to stepping up my game in this wonderful treasure hunting journey. ~S~
    Thanks you so much for all the kind words. Glad you've got something to help get you through the winter, and hopefully you'll pick up a few tips to help when you get back to digging in the spring. HH .... Bill

Mar 2008
    snow hill, MD
    Fisher F70
    772 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Man that's just awesome! What a site. That's a great pile of early relics. I'm happy to just find a stem. I'm still trying to find my first pit. Think I'm close, where I found my small 1600s buckle I dug up some black Glass and some brick. But after 12 inch deep the grounds so hard I broke my shovel. Will try to pin point it this spring. But don't think a probe will work. Happy new year and hope you have a good year digging in 18.

Charter Member
    CANE FIELD BANDITS and IRON BRIGADE MEMBER

Jun 2006
    Moonlight and Magnolias
    Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver ĶMax
    5186 times
    Banner Finds (6)
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Just fantastic finds there! I didn't know that smeared-on dirt was an option. Wish I'd known, I'd have requested that for my copy.

Cheers,

Buck
    2018 CaneField Bandits Totals:
    1782 2 Reales
    1810 and 179? Half Reales
    1834 Capped Bust Half Dime
    Two 1853-O's and and 1860 Seated Half Dime
    1850 Large Cent
    1881 Canadian Large Cent
    Pelican Civil War Button
    3 Eagle Buttons
    1953-D Washington Quarter
    1943 Silver War Nickel
    Civil War bullets and a shoulder scale button
    Shield, V, Beefalo knuckles and Gaw Gag

OUR 2017 YEAR-END POST:
    http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/to...ts-photos.html
    OUR 2016 YEAR-END POST:
    http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/20...ml#post5286759
    OUR 2015 YEAR-END POST:
    http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/to...what-year.html
    OUR 2014 YEAR-END POST:
    http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/to...lots-pics.html
    OUR 2013 YEAR-END POST:
    http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/to...-end-post.html
    OUR 2012 YEAR END POST:
    http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/20...ml#post3120940

Any relics, coins, or other items appearing in my signatures were found on PRIVATE PROPERTY with total consent and permission from the owners of said property.

us
    Dec 2006
    Colonial Virginia
    XP Deus Teknetics T2
    1309 times
    Banner Finds (2)

Loads of 17th century clay pipe bowls and stems plus another cool find

I love it all Bill. Prior to ever relic hunting I had a passion for all things old which set me on a path of researching 17th century Virginia and buying every book I found interesting on the subject. Humeís books on archaeological digs in the area are what spurred me to research and dig. I thought I was the only one around who cared about pipe stems, bellarmine jugs, wine bottle seals, etc. then I met you and realized I wasnít the only crazy person around. Your trips to this site and youíre posts about them encapsulate everything I love about this hobby. That site and those pits are very special and I would love to see a recap of of all of the great finds that have come from there.
    Iím pumped that your digging passion has been reinvigorated and I like look forward to meeting up soon and hopefully finding some new pits to open up....maybe I can throw my wife in one before filling it back in
    Last edited by joeyfresh; Jan 01, 2018 at 06:02 PM.
    Scrappy likes this.

Dec 2016
    Central NJ
    Garrett ACE 350
    279 times
    Relic Hunting
    Thank you for sharing the very nice finds. Looks like you have mastered the art.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links