Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
My good buddy Stan once again was a gracious host and invited me and my digging partner Dan to join him in another visit to the huge 1600s dump we’ve been hitting for years. It’s getting harder to find an undisturbed spot, but we went outside the box yesterday by removing a large amount of dead wood from a small area that we figured had never been touched. And as we suspected, it probed out quite nicely and we were soon down to a nice use layer. This spot was quite early as just about every artifact we recovered dated to the 17th century. Our primary mission when digging at this site is to recover monogrammed or dated colonial wine bottle seals as many have been recovered here, and although this large dumping area is normally chock-full of onion bottle glass, today was a different story. Outside of the usual oyster shell and animal bones, the most prevalent find of the day seemed to be clay pipe bowls, and 3 of mine were marked – “IC” for pipemaker James Court (1660-1680), “MB” for Michael Brown (late 1600s), and an unidentified “T”. I recovered about 100 pipe stems as well, and I need to spend some time to see if any will match up with the bowls. We all went home with a nice assortment of pipe bowls with many being of the early, bulbous variety. Many domestically produced reddish-brown stems were recovered too which was a bit unusual. I also unearthed the top to a 1600s bellarmine jug that includes the telltale bearded man image along with an asymmetric buckle and tudor rose button. All in all, it was a very fun and exciting day, one that will be hard to duplicate although we certainly plan to expand on that spot on our next visit. Thanks again Stan - we had a blast as usual!

We had 3 sifters going, and we eventually combined our 3 dig holes into a big "Y" shaped pit.

122717c.jpg

122717a.jpeg

Here's my take for the day with before and after cleaning pics shown ....

122717d.jpg

122717e.jpg

Here's a few nice examples of complete bowls that I recovered.

122717h.jpg

A close-up of the makers marks that appeared on the bottom of large flat heels.

122717i.jpg

Nearly all of the pipe stems had huge bore diameters indicative of 17th century manufacture.

122717g.jpg

A surprise find was this top to a 1600s bellarmine jug with its distinctive bearded man image. Dan recovered what we believe is the bottom of this vessel, but strangely no other shards were found.

122717f.jpg

A nice asymmetric buckle (missing its central bar) along with a 2-piece button depicting a tudor rose design turned up in my sifter.

122717j.jpg

And finally, an old friend of mine asked if he could meet me at the dig site so that he could purchase one of my new books. When he got there he wanted me to sign it on top of a sifter which was kinda cool. I asked him if he wanted me to smear a little pit dirt on it for effect, but he humorously declined. That was definitely an unusual first for me.

kennymac2.jpg

kennymac1.jpg

Upvote 43
OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well winter and the DEEP FREEZE has set in. I can now begin to dig into your book and learn how a tried and true treasure hunter gets all this really cool stuff. Amazing sight and much respect you aren't "afraid" to share your methods for finding and recovering these historic finds. You are an incredible friend and asset to the community Bill. You also have given me more than a few winter time assignments to stepping up my game in this wonderful treasure hunting journey. ~S~:icon_salut:

Last edited:

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These have been the wind chills. It’s going to continue this way for awhile. Maybe the frost will be 8’ deep and push up the really early finds lol
View attachment 1531448

LOL!!!:laughing9: Thanks mate. One has to search for ANY bright spot in these frozen days. Thanks for the laugh.:thumbsup:

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
A pit with lots of pipe bowls and stems isn't bad. Great history lesson again! I never got a pipe bowl with a makers mark here, but i absolutely love that bearded man! Do you know if these are German made?
btw... want one? https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-bartmannskrug/k0

Thanks man. I already have a whole bellarmine as pictured in my book. One of my favorite early ceramic examples for sure.

Screenshot_20171231-082132.jpg

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Well winter and the DEEP FREEZE has set in. I can now begin to dig into your book and learn how a tried and true treasure hunter gets all this really cool stuff. Amazing sight and much respect you aren't "afraid" to share your methods for finding and recovering these historic finds. You are an incredible friend and asset to the community Bill. You also have given me more than a few winter time assignments to stepping up my game in this wonderful treasure hunting journey. ~S~:icon_salut:

Thanks you so much for all the kind words. Glad you've got something to help get you through the winter, and hopefully you'll pick up a few tips to help when you get back to digging in the spring. HH .... Bill

collector01

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2008
snow hill, MD
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man that's just awesome! What a site. That's a great pile of early relics. I'm happy to just find a stem. I'm still trying to find my first pit. Think I'm close, where I found my small 1600s buckle I dug up some black Glass and some brick. But after 12 inch deep the grounds so hard I broke my shovel. Will try to pin point it this spring. But don't think a probe will work. Happy new year and hope you have a good year digging in 18.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just fantastic finds there! I didn't know that smeared-on dirt was an option. Wish I'd known, I'd have requested that for my copy. :D

Cheers,

Buck

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love it all Bill. Prior to ever relic hunting I had a passion for all things old which set me on a path of researching 17th century Virginia and buying every book I found interesting on the subject. Hume’s books on archaeological digs in the area are what spurred me to research and dig. I thought I was the only one around who cared about pipe stems, bellarmine jugs, wine bottle seals, etc. then I met you and realized I wasn’t the only crazy person around. Your trips to this site and you’re posts about them encapsulate everything I love about this hobby. That site and those pits are very special and I would love to see a recap of of all of the great finds that have come from there.
I’m pumped that your digging passion has been reinvigorated and I like look forward to meeting up soon and hopefully finding some new pits to open up....maybe I can throw my wife in one before filling it back in[emoji41]

Last edited:

Gene Mean

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2016
Central NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Equinox 800
Eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you for sharing the very nice finds. Looks like you have mastered the art.

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I love it all Bill. Prior to ever relic hunting I had a passion for all things old which set me on a path of researching 17th century Virginia and buying every book I found interesting on the subject. Hume’s books on archaeological digs in the area are what spurred me to research and dig. I thought I was the only one around who cared about pipe stems, bellarmine jugs, wine bottle seals, etc. then I met you and realized I wasn’t the only crazy person around. Your trips to this site and you’re posts about them encapsulate everything I love about this hobby. That site and those pits are very special and I would love to see a recap of of all of the great finds that have come from there.
I’m pumped that your digging passion has been reinvigorated and I like look forward to meeting up soon and hopefully finding some new pits to open up....maybe I can throw my wife in one before filling it back in[emoji41]

As soon as this lousy weather improves I hope we can hook up for some digging, of the early colonial type of course. Looking forward to it ......

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Absolutely fantastic!! I never get tired of seeing someone find those bulbous bowls and to see so many in one hunt is amazing. That bellarmine jug neck is my favorite... even with the bottom is his beard trimmed off :laughing7: You were overdue for a jaw dropping hunt like this one, so its awesome to see you get out so we can all enjoy seeing stuff like this. Huge congrats Bill and Happy New Year man.

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Absolutely fantastic!! I never get tired of seeing someone find those bulbous bowls and to see so many in one hunt is amazing. That bellarmine jug neck is my favorite... even with the bottom is his beard trimmed off :laughing7: You were overdue for a jaw dropping hunt like this one, so its awesome to see you get out so we can all enjoy seeing stuff like this. Huge congrats Bill and Happy New Year man.

Thanks Brad - I'm glad to see there are at least a few folks that get fired up to see early artifacts, and I know for a fact that you're one of them. I know this weather has been detrimental to your digging pursuits, but I'm sure you'll be out swinging at the first sign of thawed ground. Happy New Year to you as well, and I'll be looking forward to your posts in hopefully the not-too-distant future (including lots of preserved iron photos :laughing7:).

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great sifting Bill, I really like the age of the stuff, and those reddish-brown stems are great! Finding a few stems here and there up here pales in what you recovered out of the pits.
Strange on the amount of them coming up makes one wonder if they were just heavy smokers and light drinkers.

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Great sifting Bill, I really like the age of the stuff, and those reddish-brown stems are great! Finding a few stems here and there up here pales in what you recovered out of the pits.
Strange on the amount of them coming up makes one wonder if they were just heavy smokers and light drinkers.

Believe me, they were very heavy drinkers too. This latest pit was a total anomaly since 99% of the others at this site have been absolutely loaded with thousands of large, early onion bottle frags with a few mallets and cylindricals thrown in. Pipe bowls and stems are also commonly found mixed in with all the glass, but the number of bowls that came out in this one spot (around 40) was way more than usual. Next time out we'll probably continue to expand on where we left off and try to recover more pipes, but our hearts are really into wanting to recover the personalized and/or dated wine bottle seals. We were just in the wrong spot for those this time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread