Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Loads of 17th century clay pipe bowls and stems plus another cool find

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyfresh View Post
    I love it all Bill. Prior to ever relic hunting I had a passion for all things old which set me on a path of researching 17th century Virginia and buying every book I found interesting on the subject. Hume’s books on archaeological digs in the area are what spurred me to research and dig. I thought I was the only one around who cared about pipe stems, bellarmine jugs, wine bottle seals, etc. then I met you and realized I wasn’t the only crazy person around. Your trips to this site and you’re posts about them encapsulate everything I love about this hobby. That site and those pits are very special and I would love to see a recap of of all of the great finds that have come from there.
    I’m pumped that your digging passion has been reinvigorated and I like look forward to meeting up soon and hopefully finding some new pits to open up....maybe I can throw my wife in one before filling it back in
    As soon as this lousy weather improves I hope we can hook up for some digging, of the early colonial type of course. Looking forward to it ......
    MY BOOK HAS SOLD OUT OF ALL 1200+ COPIES IN LESS THAN 4 MONTHS. NO 2ND PRINTING IS ANTICIPATED AT THIS TIME. THANKS TO ALL WHO MADE THIS PROJECT A SUCCESS.

us
    Apr 2013
    East Coast - USA
    XP Deus, GPX 4500, Equinox 800, AT Max
    3324 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Absolutely fantastic!! I never get tired of seeing someone find those bulbous bowls and to see so many in one hunt is amazing. That bellarmine jug neck is my favorite... even with the bottom is his beard trimmed off You were overdue for a jaw dropping hunt like this one, so its awesome to see you get out so we can all enjoy seeing stuff like this. Huge congrats Bill and Happy New Year man.

Quote Originally Posted by OutdoorAdv View Post
    Absolutely fantastic!! I never get tired of seeing someone find those bulbous bowls and to see so many in one hunt is amazing. That bellarmine jug neck is my favorite... even with the bottom is his beard trimmed off You were overdue for a jaw dropping hunt like this one, so its awesome to see you get out so we can all enjoy seeing stuff like this. Huge congrats Bill and Happy New Year man.
    Thanks Brad - I'm glad to see there are at least a few folks that get fired up to see early artifacts, and I know for a fact that you're one of them. I know this weather has been detrimental to your digging pursuits, but I'm sure you'll be out swinging at the first sign of thawed ground. Happy New Year to you as well, and I'll be looking forward to your posts in hopefully the not-too-distant future (including lots of preserved iron photos ).
    OutdoorAdv likes this.
    MY BOOK HAS SOLD OUT OF ALL 1200+ COPIES IN LESS THAN 4 MONTHS. NO 2ND PRINTING IS ANTICIPATED AT THIS TIME. THANKS TO ALL WHO MADE THIS PROJECT A SUCCESS.

ca
    Feb 2009
    Deus, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
    15957 times
    Relic Hunting
    Great sifting Bill, I really like the age of the stuff, and those reddish-brown stems are great! Finding a few stems here and there up here pales in what you recovered out of the pits.
    Strange on the amount of them coming up makes one wonder if they were just heavy smokers and light drinkers.

Quote Originally Posted by pepperj View Post
    Great sifting Bill, I really like the age of the stuff, and those reddish-brown stems are great! Finding a few stems here and there up here pales in what you recovered out of the pits.
    Strange on the amount of them coming up makes one wonder if they were just heavy smokers and light drinkers.
    Believe me, they were very heavy drinkers too. This latest pit was a total anomaly since 99% of the others at this site have been absolutely loaded with thousands of large, early onion bottle frags with a few mallets and cylindricals thrown in. Pipe bowls and stems are also commonly found mixed in with all the glass, but the number of bowls that came out in this one spot (around 40) was way more than usual. Next time out we'll probably continue to expand on where we left off and try to recover more pipes, but our hearts are really into wanting to recover the personalized and/or dated wine bottle seals. We were just in the wrong spot for those this time.
    pepperj likes this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links