Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
My good buddy Stan once again was a gracious host and invited me and my digging partner Dan to join him in another visit to the huge 1600s dump we’ve been hitting for years. It’s getting harder to find an undisturbed spot, but we went outside the box yesterday by removing a large amount of dead wood from a small area that we figured had never been touched. And as we suspected, it probed out quite nicely and we were soon down to a nice use layer. This spot was quite early as just about every artifact we recovered dated to the 17th century. Our primary mission when digging at this site is to recover monogrammed or dated colonial wine bottle seals as many have been recovered here, and although this large dumping area is normally chock-full of onion bottle glass, today was a different story. Outside of the usual oyster shell and animal bones, the most prevalent find of the day seemed to be clay pipe bowls, and 3 of mine were marked – “IC” for pipemaker James Court (1660-1680), “MB” for Michael Brown (late 1600s), and an unidentified “T”. I recovered about 100 pipe stems as well, and I need to spend some time to see if any will match up with the bowls. We all went home with a nice assortment of pipe bowls with many being of the early, bulbous variety. Many domestically produced reddish-brown stems were recovered too which was a bit unusual. I also unearthed the top to a 1600s bellarmine jug that includes the telltale bearded man image along with an asymmetric buckle and tudor rose button. All in all, it was a very fun and exciting day, one that will be hard to duplicate although we certainly plan to expand on that spot on our next visit. Thanks again Stan - we had a blast as usual!

We had 3 sifters going, and we eventually combined our 3 dig holes into a big "Y" shaped pit.

122717c.jpg

122717a.jpeg

Here's my take for the day with before and after cleaning pics shown ....

122717d.jpg

122717e.jpg

Here's a few nice examples of complete bowls that I recovered.

122717h.jpg

A close-up of the makers marks that appeared on the bottom of large flat heels.

122717i.jpg

Nearly all of the pipe stems had huge bore diameters indicative of 17th century manufacture.

122717g.jpg

A surprise find was this top to a 1600s bellarmine jug with its distinctive bearded man image. Dan recovered what we believe is the bottom of this vessel, but strangely no other shards were found.

122717f.jpg

A nice asymmetric buckle (missing its central bar) along with a 2-piece button depicting a tudor rose design turned up in my sifter.

122717j.jpg

And finally, an old friend of mine asked if he could meet me at the dig site so that he could purchase one of my new books. When he got there he wanted me to sign it on top of a sifter which was kinda cool. I asked him if he wanted me to smear a little pit dirt on it for effect, but he humorously declined. That was definitely an unusual first for me.

kennymac2.jpg

kennymac1.jpg

Upvote 43
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Fantastic collection of old relics, thanks for sharing! :notworthy:

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Excellent recoveries Bill! Thanks for posting.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Strange that particular section of the dump had a high concentration of pipe parts and a low concentration of bottle parts. You would think they would be evenly distributed throughout the dump. The two piece button is interesting for two reasons - (1) it's obviously very early two piece (17th century?) if it came out of the same layer as the other 17th century items, and (2) there are no vent holes that I can see. Does it have a drilled eye shank?

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great recoveries! The book is great too.... My hunting partner is S.C Keith.

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looks like you all had a great time.
Nice relics

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very neat, I like the old TOP to the bottle the most!

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great hunt, too bad the jug wasn't complete....But I wouldn't complain:thumbsup:

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow Bill. As usual I’m floored by your pits. I’m yet to find a spot that is a fraction of the likes of what you’re digging, but I’ll get there eventually (with hope). You make it look easy but we mustn’t forget your years of experience and skill. I’m always inspired by that.

Sweet job moving the trees and brush. Sometimes taking a half hour and some sweat to move some trees is time well spent. The best part is you had your mule Dan to lift entire trees in his own. Lol.

bluegrass digger

Feb 18, 2015
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for sharing. I always look forward to your posts! Each post is a history lesson indeed.

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is that square glass piece in your box of goodies? Looks like an ink.

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great job Bill. That's some inspiring work. :icon_thumleft: Hopefully I'll be able to excavate my first trash pit next year.

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Awesome finds, the bellarmine with the bearded man is awesome! Glad you were able to get back in there. That is one of my favorite sites of all time.

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
What is that square glass piece in your box of goodies? Looks like an ink.

That certainly does look like an ink, but it's just the bottom of a small case bottle with a spout laid on top. Sorry for the false excitement.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well Mr. Bill, it looks like you guys went loaded for Bear.
Very nicely coordinated. I got a feeling that you're going to pull a Banner find out of a return trip to that site.
Congratulations on your finds.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My goodness I hope folks understand just how hard it is to find those high concentrations of 17th Century relics. Finding one of those 1600s items would be a dream come true for most. You guys found a tote full. Really happy to see you getting out. I know in 2017 you were completely wrapped up with writing that masterpiece book of yours. Cool that your buddy had you sign it in the dirt. I’m glad I got of those books because I’m positive it will be one of those that is almost impossible to get your hands on in the future. It is THE COLONIAL BIBLE!!!! Just like our buddy Beau (Aquachigger) so kindly said on his YouTube review. Super proud of you pal

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
My goodness I hope folks understand just how hard it is to find those high concentrations of 17th Century relics. Finding one of those 1600s items would be a dream come true for most. You guys found a tote full. Really happy to see you getting out. I know in 2017 you were completely wrapped up with writing that masterpiece book of yours. Cool that your buddy had you sign it in the dirt. I’m glad I got of those books because I’m positive it will be one of those that is almost impossible to get your hands on in the future. It is THE COLONIAL BIBLE!!!! Just like our buddy Beau (Aquachigger) so kindly said on his YouTube review. Super proud of you pal

Thanks for all the kind words Abe. And you're right - the book has been well-received and is selling extremely well. Not sure how long they'll last, but I'm definitely not going to pursue a 2nd printing as I need to finally get back to my digging life which I've mostly sacrificed over the last 2-3 years while working on this huge project. I didn't realize how much I missed getting out until Wednesday's dig, and it doesn't get any better than spending times like that with good friends, or with pulling out a 17th century pipe bowl every 5 minutes. Those are rare moments that we have to cherish as you might never get the opportunity to experience that again. Good to hear from ya buddy, and I hope a warm spell comes your way although things are not looking good at this point (even down here!).

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds. I highly recommend everybody pick up a copy of your book as well though you need to include a chapter on pomanders. Lol

Last edited:

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the kind words Abe. And you're right - the book has been well-received and is selling extremely well. Not sure how long they'll last, but I'm definitely not going to pursue a 2nd printing as I need to finally get back to my digging life which I've mostly sacrificed over the last 2-3 years while working on this huge project. I didn't realize how much I missed getting out until Wednesday's dig, and it doesn't get any better than spending times like that with good friends, or with pulling out a 17th century pipe bowl every 5 minutes. Those are rare moments that we have to cherish as you might never get the opportunity to experience that again. Good to hear from ya buddy, and I hope a warm spell comes your way although things are not looking good at this point (even down here!).

These have been the wind chills. It’s going to continue this way for awhile. Maybe the frost will be 8’ deep and push up the really early finds lol
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1514579893.368855.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread