More early local seafood industry history saved from the dozers and landfill. Tokens

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Been really busy lately with preparing for a new arrival in the family, which leaves me with little time to hunt.
Managed to get out yesterday and hunt one of my favorite construction sites for a couple hours before dark.
I have been attempting to find some early seafood industry tokens from this site. A few weeks ago i dug a Barataria Canning Co token here.
The town was once known as the seafood capital of the world. There were many factories and labor camps here during the early part of the 20th century.
There are lots of tokens listed in Chathams book for these factories.

I am beginning to start a collection of these early seafood industry piece work tokens.
Yesterday ended up being a good day, as i dug another one that i do not yet own.
Only a few inches below the first dozer cut was a K-L. O. & F. CO. One Gallon token. Kennedy Lopez Oyster and Fish Co. 1913-17 per Chathams book.
After a worker completed a task, such as shucking X amount of oysters, they would be given a token to exchange for cash at the end of their shift.
Also ended up with some marbles, wheaties, other not so special tokens, and an interesting anchor thing that i think might have been part of suspenders or a belt.
Any ideas on the anchor thing.
I included a photo of the factory from the 1914 Sanbornes.

Attachments

• PC310001.JPG
    PC310001.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 107
  • PC310002.JPG
    PC310002.JPG
    80 KB · Views: 97
  • PC310003.JPG
    PC310003.JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 93
  • PC310004.JPG
    PC310004.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 89
  • PC310005.JPG
    PC310005.JPG
    78.9 KB · Views: 105
Upvote 18
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice saves, congratulations! :occasion14:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice saves on the tokens and other finds.

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off congratulations on your upcoming arrival! Secondly really cool token :thumbsup:

Sep 18, 2010
Ellisville, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT Pro, and a White's Treasure Master, along with a White's TRX Pinpointer...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are great finds! Thanks for sharing and giving the rest of us here in South Mississippi some hope for good future finds...

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Well done BP. I like the idea of a local token collection. Please keep us poste on your prepress.

Best of luck in 2018, and congrats on the family addition.

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those old tokens are super cool and in excellent condition. Very nice relic and marble scores! I always appreciate when a hunter seizes the opportunity to pounce on a construction sight. It usually produces some killer finds that will only be around during a very short window of time to grab them up. Well done. I hope there is more for you before the project is all sealed up.:headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread