Dug the HOLY GRAIL of Eagle Buttons AND a CAPPED BUST!

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Everybody, We had planned a digging marathon the past couple days to try and break our old record for silver coins. I went got out in the field before Buckleboy got there at an old site of ours and about an hour into the hunt I dug a beautiful 1835 Capped Bust Half Dime. Wish I'd had a camera on me to film these finds. Then Buckleboy and Digger Girl got there and we got hunting and dug some finds that he will post about later on. I dug a two piece button that I didn't think much about but we could see that it was an eagle button. I thought it might just be an eagle with a shield on it, or an I or if we were lucky an eagle C. When I got home I cleaned it off and called Buck up to tell him that I could see a V. He started saying "no way. No way! VOLTIGEURS BUTTON!" We couldn't believe it. Turns out that the eagle V button is the rarest of all the eagle buttons (we've only seen 4 or 5 posted on TreasureNet as long as the website has been around). The U.S. Regiment of Voltigeurs active in the Mexican War and only in existence from 1847-48 for one year and a couple months. They were elite riflemen/sharp shooters. Buckleboy was green with envy and I am so excited to find this relic! So here are photos of the sweet Capped and my first (and probably last!) Eagle Voltigeurs button! Happy New Year and Happy Hunting! Shanegalang- The Canefield Bandits!

Attachments

• V1.jpg
    V1.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 244
  • V2.jpg
    V2.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 249
  • C1.jpg
    C1.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 258
  • C3.jpg
    C3.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 225
  • C2.jpg
    C2.jpg
    433.2 KB · Views: 219
Upvote 70
OP
OP
shanegalang

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other

mindcrime1988

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus II, DetectorPro Headhunter, BlissTool & Pulsedive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations on finding two amazing relics. Just as a few others here have stated, I have never heard of the Voltigeurs. A great piece of history for sure. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
shanegalang

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hahaha! I haven’t even heard of that button Buck!!! Complete and total banner find - unbelievable!

Co ma sa va coon ass? Le se la bon tempts ruler!!! Happy New Year!

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Shang Ask Buckle to teach how to sing the San Patricio Brigade Song . Great find but i am with the Irish on that War. TP

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet treasure

294EC698-4093-4A2B-8419-062F6E2BCF4F.jpeg

Happy New Year

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
casted my vote.. congrats again

Palmetto

Mar 21, 2009
UpCountry, SC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,Teknetics T2, Fisher Goldbug,
Whites 5900/ di Pro sl
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
As someone said earlier, when your 2nd best find is a capped bust dime, it is a pretty good day. Congrats on a rare, terrific piece of history. I was fortunate to have dug one almost 2 years ago and will probably never see another under my coil.
Happy New Year.

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice that’s a great day.!! Great finds!! Bucket listers, congrats and HH

Bodkin

Oct 9, 2017
Bold Coast & Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Blue Excal 1000, Enox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on those finds!!! I was all about the dime (not knowing the "significance" of the button). One of the reasons I signed up for this site was the history lessons I receive from most of the posters. Thanks you shanegalang and others for your informative posts. Got a lot to learn here.
Happy New Year & Happy Hunting!!!

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shane,

beautiful.jpg

Congratulations on a stellar hunt!

Sub 8-)

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd never even heard of that button either. Congratulations on that one! Here's another banner vote headed your way. Good luck.

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well.....Dangit man! 2 killer finds. Congrats!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey buddy! That’s one find I’m so jealous of. You digging a KMI button just floored me. Seeing you dig a sword I was too shocked to be jealous. This is one fine button that probably neither one of us will ever see dug again. Rare as hens teeth! I nominated it for banner. I see less rare finds make it up top, so I think his one is certainly in the running!

congrats again and let’s go dig!

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey buddy! That’s one find I’m so jealous of. You digging a KMI button just floored me. Seeing you dig a sword I was too shocked to be jealous. This is one fine button that probably neither one of us will ever see dug again. Rare as hens teeth! I nominated it for banner. I see less rare finds make it up top, so I think his one is certainly in the running!

congrats again and let’s go dig!

Agreed. I put in a banner vote as well. It certainly is a once-in-a-lifetime find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions