Dug the HOLY GRAIL of Eagle Buttons AND a CAPPED BUST!

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Everybody, We had planned a digging marathon the past couple days to try and break our old record for silver coins. I went got out in the field before Buckleboy got there at an old site of ours and about an hour into the hunt I dug a beautiful 1835 Capped Bust Half Dime. Wish I'd had a camera on me to film these finds. Then Buckleboy and Digger Girl got there and we got hunting and dug some finds that he will post about later on. I dug a two piece button that I didn't think much about but we could see that it was an eagle button. I thought it might just be an eagle with a shield on it, or an I or if we were lucky an eagle C. When I got home I cleaned it off and called Buck up to tell him that I could see a V. He started saying "no way. No way! VOLTIGEURS BUTTON!" We couldn't believe it. Turns out that the eagle V button is the rarest of all the eagle buttons (we've only seen 4 or 5 posted on TreasureNet as long as the website has been around). The U.S. Regiment of Voltigeurs active in the Mexican War and only in existence from 1847-48 for one year and a couple months. They were elite riflemen/sharp shooters. Buckleboy was green with envy and I am so excited to find this relic! So here are photos of the sweet Capped and my first (and probably last!) Eagle Voltigeurs button! Happy New Year and Happy Hunting! Shanegalang- The Canefield Bandits!

Attachments

• V1.jpg
    V1.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 244
  • V2.jpg
    V2.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 249
  • C1.jpg
    C1.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 258
  • C3.jpg
    C3.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 225
  • C2.jpg
    C2.jpg
    433.2 KB · Views: 219
Upvote 70
OP
OP
shanegalang

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on an outstanding pair of finds. That "V" button is unreal, and is a very nice War Relic.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
A couple of really nice finds there, and great way to end the year. Good luck in '18 ....

OP
OP
shanegalang

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
A couple of really nice finds there, and great way to end the year. Good luck in '18 ....
Much obliged for the comment sir! I am thoroughly enjoying your book! Buckleboy blessed me with a copy as a Christmas gift, which you included a personal message that made it all the more special to me. The book is phenomenal and I highly recommend each and every relic hunter as well as hobbyist add a copy to their library. Happy New Year! Shanegalang- Canefield Bandits.

joe_dirt

Jan 15, 2013
Southeast Virginia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, Makro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome find congratulations I'm sure many of us are green with envy yours is actually the first I've seen I didn't even know about them so thanks for sharing

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

We're still trying to get our 2017 end-of-year post together. BUT we have dug once in 2018 and I just got a Capped to start this year, so it looks like we're off and running with at least one good find so far!

Cheers,

Buck

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You all finding any Large Cents?

We find one per year at most--and some years, none! I think we've dug a grand total of 5 here since 2011. Coppers didn't circulate down here much. If LC's were minted in New Orleans then we might see them, but I also think that wealthy plantation economies like this generally traded in silver.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread