Dug the HOLY GRAIL of Eagle Buttons AND a CAPPED BUST!

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Everybody, We had planned a digging marathon the past couple days to try and break our old record for silver coins. I went got out in the field before Buckleboy got there at an old site of ours and about an hour into the hunt I dug a beautiful 1835 Capped Bust Half Dime. Wish I'd had a camera on me to film these finds. Then Buckleboy and Digger Girl got there and we got hunting and dug some finds that he will post about later on. I dug a two piece button that I didn't think much about but we could see that it was an eagle button. I thought it might just be an eagle with a shield on it, or an I or if we were lucky an eagle C. When I got home I cleaned it off and called Buck up to tell him that I could see a V. He started saying "no way. No way! VOLTIGEURS BUTTON!" We couldn't believe it. Turns out that the eagle V button is the rarest of all the eagle buttons (we've only seen 4 or 5 posted on TreasureNet as long as the website has been around). The U.S. Regiment of Voltigeurs active in the Mexican War and only in existence from 1847-48 for one year and a couple months. They were elite riflemen/sharp shooters. Buckleboy was green with envy and I am so excited to find this relic! So here are photos of the sweet Capped and my first (and probably last!) Eagle Voltigeurs button! Happy New Year and Happy Hunting! Shanegalang- The Canefield Bandits!

Attachments

• V1.jpg
    V1.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 244
  • V2.jpg
    V2.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 249
  • C1.jpg
    C1.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 258
  • C3.jpg
    C3.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 225
  • C2.jpg
    C2.jpg
    433.2 KB · Views: 219
Upvote 70

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
When your second best find of the day is a capped bust coin, you are living the life.

Congrats on the Button. That is really an exceptional find sir.

I look forward to your posts in 2018.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you killed it!

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What a 2 combo find of a day you had.
Such a cool and historic button.
Congrats

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Smashing way of ending the season off, congrats on the two great finds.:occasion14:

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
wow! great find

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Hahaha! I haven’t even heard of that button Buck!!! Complete and total banner find - unbelievable!

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And spectacular condition on the capped. I love holy grails Banner from me

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the killer button! :notworthy:

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What that old two piece button may "lack" in eye appeal it most certainly surpasses in historical significance and scarcity. I agree this wonderful old military relic deserves a place of honor up top. Not too bad on the "brides maid" capped bust half dime either there Shane.:thumbsup: You and your mates have some of the BEST hunting ground in the states I have had the privilege of drooling over here on T-net. Ya'll are extremely blessed and walking on some "hallowed" dirt for sure. Huge congrats and thanks for sharing your remarkable finds.:icon_salut:

Ia.FurTrade

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2008
Southeast Iowa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, tell Buckleboy that I'm "Green with Envy", too!!! That one is certainly on my bucket list too!
Congrat's on both finds!!

Iowa Dale

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never even heard of it either. You guys need to keep filming your hunts I enjoyed the episodes of "The Cane Bandits."
Happy New Year!

OP
OP
shanegalang

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
When your second best find of the day is a capped bust coin, you are living the life.

Congrats on the Button. That is really an exceptional find sir.

I look forward to your posts in 2018.

Thank you sir, I am really blessed with plentiful sites!

OP
OP
shanegalang

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
What that old two piece button may "lack" in eye appeal it most certainly surpasses in historical significance and scarcity. I agree this wonderful old military relic deserves a place of honor up top. Not too bad on the "brides maid" capped bust half dime either there Shane.:thumbsup: You and your mates have some of the BEST hunting ground in the states I have had the privilege of drooling over here on T-net. Ya'll are extremely blessed and walking on some "hallowed" dirt for sure. Huge congrats and thanks for sharing your remarkable finds.:icon_salut:

Thank you sir. I failed to mention it was plow struck but thats okay, it's the nature of our sites. I am thrilled when I dig anything that isnt bent ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread