Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree18Likes
  • 10 Post By Desert Don
  • 4 Post By dirtdigginfool
  • 2 Post By Desert Don
  • 1 Post By Trezurehunter
  • 1 Post By Professor of Engineering

Thread: Old mail bag parts?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Grandpa!

Dec 2015
    On the Mojave Desert near Mojave.
    Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ACE 350, and Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505. In the past: Home made detector (circa 1969), World War II mine detector, Fisher M70 M-Scope (1971), Bounty Hunter TR 550, Bounty Hunt
    152 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Old mail bag parts?

My first finds of 2018. I was out on the old 20 Mule Team trail today. I rarely find anything of importance out there. Mostly just a lot of old nuts, bolt, spark plugs, Mule shoes, and other things dating back to the turn of the last century. But today I found something really interesting. It appears to be part of a Mail bag, or bank bag. Or perhaps a small box of some sort. In addition to the small metal parts, there was also a few scraps of very old leather. Some of the leather can be seen in the photo. The lock was the most interesting. Does anyone know what this lock may have been on? Any suggestions? All of these items were found within 10 feet of each other. In the photo, there is also an old shotgun shell. The primer is intact (not fired), and the date on it is 1901.

Desert Don

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01012018finds.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	4.31 MB 
ID:	1532995Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01012018lock.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	2.75 MB 
ID:	1532996

us
    Mar 2014
    south central ohio
    at pro
    2255 times
    Hmmm...Don it appears to maybe have been a chest, or trunk..given the latches, hardware and such. The leather could have been from straps? Definitely interesting, no matter what..and this is how caches are found! Too bad the gold/silver/Spanish silver was not with it...keep on hunting, would love to see you unearth a fully intact chest full of $$$...Ddf

us
    Grandpa!

Dec 2015
    Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ACE 350, and Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505. In the past: Home made detector (circa 1969), World War II mine detector, Fisher M70 M-Scope (1971), Bounty Hunter TR 550, Bounty Hunt
    152 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtdigginfool View Post
    Hmmm...Don it appears to maybe have been a chest, or trunk..given the latches, hardware and such. The leather could have been from straps? Definitely interesting, no matter what..and this is how caches are found! Too bad the gold/silver/Spanish silver was not with it...keep on hunting, would love to see you unearth a fully intact chest full of $$$...Ddf
    Ya, me too. But if I do find a real treasure chest full of money...you'll never hear from me again!
    wagbert and dirtdigginfool like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Fly Navy!

Jun 2008
    York County, PA (USA) Brevard County, FL (USA)
    8507 times
    Nice finds Don and I agree - trunk/chest. Thanks for sharing...

"A free people ought to be armed." - George Washington (January 7th, 1790)
    ..: Criminals obey "gun control" laws in the same manner politicians follow their oaths of office :..

TreasureNet is a family friendly forum with the only exception being our Charter Member > Politics Forum. Please post by our rules, watch the language and the insults. Calling members a troll, using ôlocker room" language in your signatures, using special characters to bypass our language sensor -violates our rules. Again, please post by our rules.

I like Dirtdigginfool's idea. That lock "could hold the key" to further finds in that area !
    dirtdigginfool likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2014
    Massachusetts
    Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II, Quattro & X-terra 705; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i & DFX
    8473 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Nice relics, now go find the cache!
    dirtdigginfool likes this.

us
    Grandpa!

Dec 2015
    152 times
    I will definitely be going back out there. I was hoping that someone would recognize that lock. Maybe someone has seen one like it before and could tell me what it could have been on. That trail is over 150 miles long. It runs from Mojave all the way to Death valley. I've been concentrating on an area not far from my home. I've been at it off and on in this location for over 5 years now, and have only search about 1 mile of it. It just keep giving.
    Last edited by Desert Don; Jan 02, 2018 at 01:46 PM.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links