sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday, I decided to hit the strip between the curb and sidewalk in front of an old, abandoned house down the street for a change of scenery from my usual spots. A lot of trash as one would expect and a couple of newer dimes, but overall pretty disappointing. Then another 77, which is usually a Lincoln Memorial, occasionally a wheat, but usually crap for me. Popped a nice plug and lay it on its side. The bottom of it fell away, and a dark but fairly clean penny was stuck to the plug. Yawners until I picked it up and saw the wreath and ONE CENT. Now, bear in mind that our soil is brutal on coppers. Many wheats look horrible and won't even clean up, but this one looked hopeful. After a couple of peroxide soaks, this Indian is by far the best one condition-wise that I've ever found.

After lunch, I hit my neighbor's yard again where I found the skull ring the other day. She still seems cool with me detecting there any time. I'm sure she appreciates not being able to tell where I've been digging dozens of holes and hopefully this will lead to other permissions. Anyway, I was tickled to find the little tanker truck. It looks sorta like an International to me. One area of the yard is littered with little wads of tinfoil that give great signals, so that's been a pain in the rear, but I've found a bit of clad and a couple of wheats. I was working the area around the front porch and got a decent signal, penny or clad dime maybe, but was pleased to pull this baby out. Hard to tell, but I think it's a 1934 judging by where the back of her neck lines up with the date. It's worn slap out, about half the thickness of what it ought to be, but after nearly two years since my last silver coin, it's beautiful to me. The last I found, another Merc, was in March of '16 in the yard on the other side of my house. I do hope this is a sign that the drought is over.

IHP1.jpg IHP.jpg
truck.jpg
merc.jpg merc1.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 34

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Very well done sir. Congrats on breaking the silver slump.

That IHC is really sweet looking.

Tired Rooster

Nov 6, 2011
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelabs and Tesoros
Several of them....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really good finds. Congratulations on the mercury and that indian head cent looks really good.
I've always wanted to find an indian head, but they have eluded me so far.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good finds those strips seem to do well according to all the posts Ive seen about them.

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one gorgeous Indian Head Cent. Those beauties always put a huge smile on my mug. Tootsie Toys are always fun too. Any silver is good silver. You are doing fine mate. Keep after it.:headbang:

Gene Mean

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2016
Central NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Equinox 800
Eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice digs. I like the truck, it's not flattened like the ones I find.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds! :occasion14:

i love finding the old well worn coins, they have such a story to tell.

OP
OP
sandchip

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks much for all the comments, everybody. Rooster, I don't doubt that you'll find an Indian before long and I look forward to seeing it. This Indian, my first of only 4 in all, was found about 3 blocks away. I found the '44 wheat the same day and yard I found the Merc. (Both had at least 3 peroxide baths.) That's why I was talking about the dirt being so rough on coppers around here and why the 1901 was such a shocker.

c1.jpg c.jpg
c2.jpg c3.jpg

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like some nice finds. I believe your truck is a Tootsie Toy. If you look on the underside, it will be marked. Congrats to the Bulldogs on that great game. I'm a huge OU fan, and that was one of the most exciting games I've ever seen.

OP
OP
sandchip

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
... Congrats to the Bulldogs on that great game. I'm a huge OU fan, and that was one of the most exciting games I've ever seen.

Enough to give anybody ulcers! Great athletes on both sides!

Yak1366

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2017
Ringgold, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett ATPro, ProPointer AT, Retriever II
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice find sandchip!!! I know what you're saying about the soil here in GA. My few IHPs were so encrusted coming out of the ground, you could hardly tell which penny type it was.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nicely done on the silver and the great looking IH, sometimes a copper will pop out that defies all logic.

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome Finds!

Thanx for sharing

1267C5D8-097E-4075-A043-21B3936850D1.jpeg

OP
OP
sandchip

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find sandchip!!! I know what you're saying about the soil here in GA. My few IHPs were so encrusted coming out of the ground, you could hardly tell which penny type it was.

Exactly! I've found pennies that I had no idea what type they were until I got home and soaked 'em a few times. Some have dirt bonded to them so tight, they feel like 50 grit sandpaper.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tootsie Toys are always great to find and yours is in great shape. I love the Mercury. One of my favorite coins.
Very pretty Indian.
Congratulations.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread