Last signal of the year .... a silver plated star stud to a TEXAS 2 piece belt rig!!!

Devonrex

Jan 6, 2012
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, Nautilus DMC IIB
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last signal of the year ....... a silver plated star stud to a Texas 2 piece belt rig!!
January 02, 2018 12:56PM

The last day of 2017 was super cold but I had been finding unprecedented finds at my new site so I bundled up and headed out. The day was a repeat of all the others at this site. Good signals seemed to be everywhere. Just as it started to get dark I placed my coil under a small holly tree and I got a sweet signal. Moments later I was looking at a 5 pointed star!!! I had no idea what I had, as I had never seen and other one, but I knew I had something special. It was time to go home.......... once home, after a few posts and calls a good friend sent me a picture of a cover of a past North South Trader showing the star stud device on a South Carolina 2 piece belt rig. Apparently the star stud device was used on only high ranking Confederate officers 2 piece belt rigs from several states (here a South Carolina). The design of the one pictured on the cover of NST is a little different from the one I found. I'm being told the one I found more closely resembles a known star device on a Texas 2 piece belt and the fact mine is silver plated points in that direction as well. Another star stud was found by well known digger Meigs Brainard and Lewis Leigh told him this came from a Texas 2 piece belt rig as well. Apparently less than 10 have been dug. The other pictures show all the other finds I made during the Christmas holidays. This site has been one for the books! A total of 4 Ordinance buttons, a coat Eagle R, a staff Massachusetts Volunteer Militia, Early one- piece coat Navy, a 12 pound solid shot, hundreds of musket balls and bullets, many rare bullets including 6 CS Austrian 69's, 2 French Revolutionary War buttons, a Revolutionary War silver cufflink set, a gorgeous openended one-piece silver plated Colonial overcoat button, top brass drag to a Confederate Scabbard, 1826 Large Cent, and many more relics! 2017 has been a wonderful year of discovering relics for me! Got out for a short time on the first day of 2018, even though it was a chilly 22, and got another 32 bullets including a nest of Colt Dragoon 44's and a handful of Sharps. Hoping there are a few more surprises for me at this site! Hoping everyone has a great New Year! HH Devonrex

Attachments

• YK4.jpg
    YK4.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 120
  • YK5.jpg
    YK5.jpg
    507.8 KB · Views: 97
  • YK6.jpg
    YK6.jpg
    464.4 KB · Views: 102
  • YK3.jpg
    YK3.jpg
    363.6 KB · Views: 100
  • YK17.jpg
    YK17.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 98
  • YK2.jpg
    YK2.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 100
  • YK1.jpg
    YK1.jpg
    494.7 KB · Views: 95
  • XXX119.jpg
    XXX119.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 94
  • XXX121.jpg
    XXX121.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 91
  • xxx110.jpg
    xxx110.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 102
  • XXX118.jpg
    XXX118.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 101
  • YK18.jpg
    YK18.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 89
  • YK16.jpg
    YK16.jpg
    395.7 KB · Views: 92
  • XXX112.jpg
    XXX112.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 106
  • YK8.jpg
    YK8.jpg
    435.1 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_E7660.JPG
    IMG_E7660.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 110
  • YK22.jpg
    YK22.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 115
  • YK23.jpg
    YK23.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 93
  • YK24.jpg
    YK24.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Upvote 24

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow!!! Just freaking wow!
That's a site that would keep me up nights. What a great bunch of relics. I'd hunt that spot day and night. Congratulations!
Is that a nipple protector I see in the last picture?
Also looks like some carved lead there

Last edited:
OP
OP
Devonrex

Devonrex

Jan 6, 2012
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow!!! Just freaking wow!
That's a site that would keep me up nights. What a great bunch of relics. I'd hunt that spot day and night. Congratulations!
Is that a nipple protector I see in the last picture?
I've dug 5 nipple protectors at this site so far Relic Nut. It is one of those sites you dream about! HH Devonrex

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats sir. I've enjoyed reading your posts and seeing all of the great stuff that you find.

Best of luck in 2018.

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great mix of relics! I would be camping out on that site. Love the Austrian .69’s! I dug three of those dropped in one spot in West Virginia years ago.

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very cool hunt, a real great way of ending the year off. You're certainly on a producing site. Congrats
The star is an interesting recovery and I always wondered if similar star looking finds were related to Texas or military?
Here's the I recovered from this past fall and it one of those different finds that I've never dug before.

P1020438.JPG

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You are tearing the bone out!!! Great finds...d2

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Killer year! :notworthy:

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome site you got there.

OP
OP
Devonrex

Devonrex

Jan 6, 2012
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats sir. I've enjoyed reading your posts and seeing all of the great stuff that you find.

Best of luck in 2018.
Thank you Carolina Tom! I'm gonna try to keep the finds going in 2018 as well. This site truly is one of those sites you dream about! HH Devonrex

OP
OP
Devonrex

Devonrex

Jan 6, 2012
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You are tearing the bone out!!! Great finds...d2
Hoping there a a few more bones d2 at this site to tear out! Now I just have to wait for this cold spell to end and all the snow we have had to melt! Honestly, I'm considering not posting any of my finds any more in 2018 ..... just doesn't seem to be to much interest.... but I will see what others say. Thanks for the nice accolade. HH Devonrex

Last edited:
OP
OP
Devonrex

Devonrex

Jan 6, 2012
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very cool hunt, a real great way of ending the year off. You're certainly on a producing site. Congrats
The star is an interesting recovery and I always wondered if similar star looking finds were related to Texas or military?
Here's the I recovered from this past fall and it one of those different finds that I've never dug before.

View attachment 1533335
Pepperj the silver plated relic I found is a stud. It resembles a horse brad but the back circular end is about half the circumference of the front. The item you are showing here looks like a button or a rosette. I would need to see the back to be able to identify it accurately. Thanks for the nice response! HH Devonrex

Last edited:
OP
OP
Devonrex

Devonrex

Jan 6, 2012
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What a great mix of relics! I would be camping out on that site. Love the Austrian .69’s! I dug three of those dropped in one spot in West Virginia years ago.
Goldiver....these are the first CS Austrian 69's I have dug in 35 years of relic hunting! That is how rare these bullets are in my neck of the woods! Good luck in 2018! HH Devonrex

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hoping there a a few more bones d2 at this site to tear out! Now I just have to wait for this cold spell to end and all the snow we have had to melt! Honestly, I'm considering not posting any of my finds any more in 2018 ..... just doesn't seem to be to much interest.... but I will see what others say. Thanks for the nice accolade. HH Devonrex

Well we are now almost through 6 months of 2018, I just saw your post while researching a find.

Please keep posting , You have made many 'Dream' finds over the years that I have been on T-net , IMO You should have a few more banners as well .
I don't usually get far on Today's Finds as I think every find is worth a comment.

I do recall your Artillery finds back in December & WOW!!! The assortment you had /have dug at that site, Bullet Types are amazing , buttons I only Find then ' Wake Up' MAD!

For you to have the best year in 2017 & you have been hunting 35 years that says a-lot.

Man you could write a book just on that site. The bullets have a distinct Patina as well 'that's cool'.

Civil War stuff don't get the respect it deserves as most of the US had no Action and Civil War is not 'PC' these days .

What I do is post in just Civil War unless a Coin or relic is rare for my N Ga area + it usually been awhile since I dug certain relics hence they are not Today's Finds.

So please keep posting , I see if you have 'just wondering'? If you want post in Civil War Forum , I usually see yr finds in NSTCW & Maybe American Digger if I recall Correct.
If you find a fired & Squashed Minnie ; I love to see it.
Best regards

Professor .... 2017 has been the best year of digging I have ever had! My new machine had a lot to do with it! HH Devonrex
Oh about forgot , did the DEUS help that much ?
Or
Dig you get things 'IYO' that say yr Nautilus may have missed .
Back when I started in 98 I sucked up everything Civil War , read back & current issues of NSTCW & Treasure Mags over & over (I did not start using a computer until late 2012 & have not progressed that much, lol.

Sorry I get off track as my mind is WAY faster than my typing, I mention that cause back in 98-99 I recall Nautilus Guys being "Brand Happy" & If you knew how to use your machine , there was none better.

Well as I said I hope you keep / Kept posting

Davers / Davey

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread