My New Colonial Site Finally Gives Up Some Coins!

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I once again had several free days this past weekend and despite the single digits I wasn't about to waste some rare time off. It was 5 degrees out and the ground has started to freeze despite the snow and leaves; however I found that in most spots I could break through the frozen layer and I didn't have to skip any signals. I doubt that'll be the case for much longer though and the cold limited my hunt to just a few hours, but even with that small window I managed a number of keepers. For starters I finally found a coin!

DSC03869.JPG DSC03871.JPG

It's a beautiful 1832 large cent and I've only done a light first-pass cleaning, but the details are excellent. I typically start with this sort of cleaning and make sure it isn't a key date or rare variety before I attempt something more aggressive. It looks like light tooth-picking and peroxide should be sufficient to finish and give it great contrast for display.

I did find a second coin during this hunt and I must say that I'm quite surprised. I honestly have no idea how this ended up next to this cellar hole, but I'm sure it was an interesting story.

DSC03872.JPG DSC03873.JPG

It's a German 1922 50 pfennig coin made out of aluminum. The "A" on the reverse means it was minted in Berlin. What's surprising is that there is very little modern contamination at this site and until now that was limited to the standard shotgun headstamps and the odd bullet. It's possible a hunter dropped this coin too, but what it was doing in their pocket is an intriguing mystery. :dontknow:

DSC03874.JPG DSC03875.JPG

There were a few other non-ferrous relics including another flat button and this very interesting brass buckle. I've never found this style before and I'm not even sure what it was used for. Any thoughts?

There were a few good iron relics as well, although much less than with the first few passes.

DSC03878.JPG DSC03879.JPG

This ox shoe is the fifth from this site. The larger iron buckle is very interesting as it looks like it was silver washed, but only along the top half of the iron. There's no trace of a bar across the middle and the degree of bend is very similar to some of the colonial artois buckles I've seen. It's super thick and heavy though so I can't imagine it would have been comfortable on a shoe. Perhaps I'm wrong though; have any of you colonial hunters seen a shoe buckle like this before?

The deep cold up here continues, so I don't think I have too many more hunts before a thaw will be necessary, but hopefully I have a few more hunts left before spring. This site is amazing so far and I can't wait to see what else is hiding in the ground!

DSC03867.JPG

Upvote 33

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent post those coins are sweet nice relics also you could make a great display case with that kind of stuff good job!!! I also detect in the winter and love it if you dress warm but the snow here wont melt... Glad you got out and did so well!!!!! Tommy

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its not a shoe buckle, but part of a 19th C horse tack piece

Vldetecting

Jun 23, 2017
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max, Garrett AT Pro-Pointer, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! Especially the large cent!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Cool relics and very nice coin finds, congratulations! :occasion14:

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. The large cent looks great. I can't wait to see it cleaned up!

RudyT

Nov 23, 2017
LaPorte, Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on your finds! Those are some beautiful coins!!

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Yep, not right for a shoe buckle. From your description, and before the picture loaded, I was thinking you found an iron shoe buckle like one I found a while back. Nice largie

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All in all that was a great hunt,and at 5 degrees temperature I have to stay indoors. I really like your 1832 largie.

OP
OP
P

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its not a shoe buckle, but part of a 19th C horse tack piece

Thank you for the info; that's certainly in character for this site. I've found more horse tack and horse-related relics at this site than at my last five sites combined!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread