Kurt Franz THB

Jun 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max, AT Gold, AT Pro, XP Deus, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Happy New Year everyone! We were detecting at my buddies house that was built in 1851. It was a pretty slow day until I dug a wiped copper along the driveway. Working the same area I got a perfect coin signal. I thought it was going to be Silver. It was that perfect of a signal. Out pops the fattest copper coin I've ever seen. I gave it a quick toothpick and FREAKED when I saw a chain looking back at me. The verdigris is pretty bad on her, but she's identifiable. I'll I've done is some very light toothpicking to remove dirt. I'm not doing anything else to her. I am open to the idea of professional cleaning, but even that scares me. I love her the way she is for now. We all have some sort of Bucket List of thing we want to find. I also have a fantasy bucket list for a few items I never actually expect to find. Well... I dug one off my fantasy list. 1793 Flowing Hair Chain Cent!!

Other notables this day at a different location. Bill dug a worn Liberty Cap Large Cent (1793-1796) and a thin 22k Colonial Gold Ring.

IMG-4825.PNG
IMG-4824.PNG
20171207_101227.jpg
1793-chain-cent.jpg
20171207_111309.jpg
20171207_111235.jpg
20171207_184250.jpg
20171207_184558.jpg

I actually Live Dug the Chain Cent. If anyone wants to see it come out of the ground, here's the video:

Upvote 69

Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find . A very valuable coin even in dug condition. My guess would be a few thousand dollars. I agree with those who commented on cleaning; less is more. And as far as” professional” cleaning unless it’s someone at a museum I’d be very skeptical. Once it’s really messed with it will loose patina and in my opinion it’s unique character.And if you aren’t going to sell it why bother. Also your coin would appeal to a coin collector who for instance wants it to complete a large cent collection or wants a coin for a type set. A collector of high end coins would be much less interested. In any event awesome find.

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe the third or fourth chain cent to appear on Tnet since I started detecting in 2015. Colonial gold (if it is indeed colonial) is probably as rare a find though. If that ring was marked or engraved(posy ring) it would surpass the toasted chain cent by far in my mind. Not many youtubers hunting colonial as I would like to see so keep up the good work

Last edited:

Misuraco

Dec 2, 2016
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX
Detect-Ed red belly shaft
Minelab ProFind 35
All 3 nox coils
Grave Digger tomb stone venom
Grave Digger side kick venom
At pro
Whites Mx5
Garrett ace400
Garrett pro pointer AT
Garrett pro po
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I watched you dig it up yesterday.. awesome find!

8Reales

Bronze Member
Dec 16, 2015
Baltimore
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, BH Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats Kurt to u and Bill always find amazing stuff

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Phenomenal coin! Excellent job giving some history of the coin's design and why it was changed. I actually learned something. Congrats brother.

:occasion14: <------- Fist bump while holding beers.

Rob

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I watched your video yesterday on YouTube. I’ve never even heard of that cent until then. Thank you so much to all you guys for everything you do. Congratulations on the BANNER find.

Shakakka

May 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Watched the vid yesterday Kurt, congrats bro! I'm glad the reverse is legible. Also extremely cool that you can see Lady Liberty's forehead, eyes and nose. What a great find.

Keep it up!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Freaking AWESOME! :notworthy:

13dolphins1

Gold Member
Jul 6, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's it! I'm heading south from Michigan and relocating to the east coast somewhere! Congrats always enjoy the videos. Brad is spitting dirt somewhere I just feel it.

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils - Garett ACE 250 - Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Huge COINgrats to you on the Chain Cent Kurt!
My wife and I always look forward to THB Wednesdays after work!
You defiantly had a minor heart attack as did I :icon_thumleft:
And of course you just had to drop it LOL
Keep up the good work. Here is to a productive 2018!

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That has to be the Holiest of Grails. WOW Banner is obvious

sgtled3533

Apr 12, 2016
Fresno, Ca
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher gold bug pro/DP, fisher gold bug 2, Garrett ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome video Kurt and an amazing find! I'm glad you gave us a "history lesson" in this weeks video on the chain cent because I had never heard of it either and it makes sense the change in details. Very cool, and yes: voting Banner on this one brother! Keep those videos coming. Always what I look forward to on Wednesdays! Congrats to bill also with that colonial gold! Super slick! ;)

SultansOfSwing

Dec 28, 2016
NH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 - & ProPointer AT-------

Back Ups: AT Pro, Tesoro Royal Sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats Kurt. I had to pause the video yesterday when you uncovered that. I was as shocked as you. Nice Job

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HUGE Congrats Kurt on your "fantasy" Bucket List 1793 Chain Cent becoming a REALITY! WOO HOO!. Damn, that's even cooler than Brad's puny little silver half dime! LOL! Ya'll done very good on this hunt. Thanks for sharing mate!:icon_salut:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread