Kurt Franz THB

Jun 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max, AT Gold, AT Pro, XP Deus, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Happy New Year everyone! We were detecting at my buddies house that was built in 1851. It was a pretty slow day until I dug a wiped copper along the driveway. Working the same area I got a perfect coin signal. I thought it was going to be Silver. It was that perfect of a signal. Out pops the fattest copper coin I've ever seen. I gave it a quick toothpick and FREAKED when I saw a chain looking back at me. The verdigris is pretty bad on her, but she's identifiable. I'll I've done is some very light toothpicking to remove dirt. I'm not doing anything else to her. I am open to the idea of professional cleaning, but even that scares me. I love her the way she is for now. We all have some sort of Bucket List of thing we want to find. I also have a fantasy bucket list for a few items I never actually expect to find. Well... I dug one off my fantasy list. 1793 Flowing Hair Chain Cent!!

Other notables this day at a different location. Bill dug a worn Liberty Cap Large Cent (1793-1796) and a thin 22k Colonial Gold Ring.

IMG-4825.PNG
IMG-4824.PNG
20171207_101227.jpg
1793-chain-cent.jpg
20171207_111309.jpg
20171207_111235.jpg
20171207_184250.jpg
20171207_184558.jpg

I actually Live Dug the Chain Cent. If anyone wants to see it come out of the ground, here's the video:

Upvote 69

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome find! What this hobby is all about IMO. congratulations.

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the copper, a great way of starting off your season.

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Its because your not using the fish as much :)))))

True, I've been about 75% garrett, 25% fish these days. But I don't even quite get out once per week. That has to change. Interestingly enough I found 3 of my favorite finds with the Garrett machine, which is a little bit telling. Two 2reales and the Vermont landscape copper.

But back to the chain cent because O.M.G!!!

neodetectorist

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2016
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro W Stock coil, Fisher F2 W 8" Concentric and 9.5" NEL DD, XPointer pin pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes I saw the video the other night. That is a great recovery Kurt. I didn't even know any existed. :notworthy:
I nominate BANNER for this coin.
Bill even had a great day with his gold ring and copper.
Bob got an "episode" with that IHP too.
You all had a great outing.
Teletubby? Come-on Bobbie! :laughing7:

can_slaw

Nov 10, 2017
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
ACE 400, ACE 300, TESORO COMPADRE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Holy Wow that is a great find! Congrats from a subscriber and fellow treasure seeker!

OP
OP
K

Kurt Franz THB

Jun 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find!

1) The professionals who clean or conserve coins I doubt have much, if any, experience in dealing with dug copper and have no more know-how or better methods than you do.

2) I don't see what there is left to clean. You start taking off what's on there and the detail will leave too.

Thanks! I couldn't agree more. I love her the way she is.

OP
OP
K

Kurt Franz THB

Jun 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent! Looks like something existed before that 1850’s home and you found the evidence. I would keep that chain cent as-is. The details are in the crust and she’s already beautiful.

Yes. His property wraps around an old grave yard. All the stones are older then his house. It's an older area for sure.

OP
OP
K

Kurt Franz THB

Jun 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The piece on the far left you thought was a piece of suspender is part of a Victorian whale bone corset, its 1 of many of the reverse tie holes.

Thank you for the info.

OP
OP
K

Kurt Franz THB

Jun 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are slipping sir, better pick up the pace. How could let KF find this? it seems like a Brad Show find to me.

GL brother.

Hahaha!! If Brad was there he would have "found it." I would have dug the wiped copper. While I was filming the wiped copper Brad would have been bottom feeding all around me... #Truth

OP
OP
K

Kurt Franz THB

Jun 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find Kurt, Love the videos I think I've watched them all a few times. Just saw an older one where one of you guys got your first Largie and you didn't rub a rosie :laughing7:

Hahaha! Thank you for the support. It's funny how things change over time.

OP
OP
K

Kurt Franz THB

Jun 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Huge COINgrats to you on the Chain Cent Kurt!
My wife and I always look forward to THB Wednesdays after work!
You defiantly had a minor heart attack as did I :icon_thumleft:
And of course you just had to drop it LOL
Keep up the good work. Here is to a productive 2018!

Hahaha! Thank you for the support! That drop was Gods way of reminding me to thank him. A very humbling experience when I look back on it.

OP
OP
K

Kurt Franz THB

Jun 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HUGE Congrats Kurt on your "fantasy" Bucket List 1793 Chain Cent becoming a REALITY! WOO HOO!. Damn, that's even cooler than Brad's puny little silver half dime! LOL! Ya'll done very good on this hunt. Thanks for sharing mate!:icon_salut:

That just put a huge smile on my face with a case of the giggles. Thank you! Hehehe

OP
OP
K

Kurt Franz THB

Jun 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for the kind words and support! It was an honor to save a coin that actually holds historical significance. I have no plans to further "clean" this one. I've made that mistake plenty of times in the past as I'm sure we all have. Less is always better in my opinion. Especially when it come to coins. I put her in a protective case as soon as i could. Best of luck to everyone in 2018!
Crop Chain.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread