Kurt Franz THB

Jun 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max, AT Gold, AT Pro, XP Deus, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Happy New Year everyone! We were detecting at my buddies house that was built in 1851. It was a pretty slow day until I dug a wiped copper along the driveway. Working the same area I got a perfect coin signal. I thought it was going to be Silver. It was that perfect of a signal. Out pops the fattest copper coin I've ever seen. I gave it a quick toothpick and FREAKED when I saw a chain looking back at me. The verdigris is pretty bad on her, but she's identifiable. I'll I've done is some very light toothpicking to remove dirt. I'm not doing anything else to her. I am open to the idea of professional cleaning, but even that scares me. I love her the way she is for now. We all have some sort of Bucket List of thing we want to find. I also have a fantasy bucket list for a few items I never actually expect to find. Well... I dug one off my fantasy list. 1793 Flowing Hair Chain Cent!!

Other notables this day at a different location. Bill dug a worn Liberty Cap Large Cent (1793-1796) and a thin 22k Colonial Gold Ring.

IMG-4825.PNG
IMG-4824.PNG
20171207_101227.jpg
1793-chain-cent.jpg
20171207_111309.jpg
20171207_111235.jpg
20171207_184250.jpg
20171207_184558.jpg

I actually Live Dug the Chain Cent. If anyone wants to see it come out of the ground, here's the video:

Upvote 69

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Watched the video on YouTube then made my fiance watch it later :laughing7:
Huge fan of your channel!

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you all for the kind words and support! It was an honor to save a coin that actually holds historical significance. I have no plans to further "clean" this one. I've made that mistake plenty of times in the past as I'm sure we all have. Less is always better in my opinion. Especially when it come to coins. I put her in a protective case as soon as i could. Best of luck to everyone in 2018!
View attachment 1534013

Looks great, and your restraint is apparent. Just make sure the verdigris is stable and won’t spread. There are many recipes for that, but usually all involve acetone. I use it for my rare-but-crusty coppers. Check it out online.

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800 & Makro Multi Kruzer, the rest are collecting dust...
Those coppers just jump out of the ground for you east coasters!!

We'll never find anything like that on the left coast, so we'll have to suffer with 1800's gold coins and rare seated silver :laughing7:

All kidding aside, congrats on the super rare copper :thumbsup:

HH,
Brian

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for the kind words and support! It was an honor to save a coin that actually holds historical significance. I have no plans to further "clean" this one. I've made that mistake plenty of times in the past as I'm sure we all have. Less is always better in my opinion. Especially when it come to coins. I put her in a protective case as soon as i could. Best of luck to everyone in 2018!

When it comes to the rarest of the rare finds to dig, the truly epic ones, sure it would be great to be so lucky the find comes out in amazing condition... but at the end of the day it's still about having found one. Last year I dug things I've waited and wanted to find for well over a decade and every one of them has condition issues, but they are crossed off the list! Maybe someday I'll find a better one, but even if I don't, I'm good. A chain cent will forever be at the top of your list, and I'm not sure any find could be thought of as being an achievement, but it sure is a heck of a trophy and a lot of bragging rights. I don't live in a place where there would be very high odds of one, but I do believe there is at least one in the ground somewhere so I never say never.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

Kurt Franz THB

Jun 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Leave her crusty- historic coin and incredible save. Hopefully across the banner soon, VOTE IN

Thank you for the vote and the support! As crazy as it is, there's already a chain on the banner. Same thing happened when i dug my militia belt plate. There was a similar one on the banner. NO SOUP FOR YOU!! Haha
20170613_123244.jpg

OP
OP
K

Kurt Franz THB

Jun 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Appreciate the info. Thanks

OP
OP
K

Kurt Franz THB

Jun 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When it comes to the rarest of the rare finds to dig, the truly epic ones, sure it would be great to be so lucky the find comes out in amazing condition... but at the end of the day it's still about having found one. Last year I dug things I've waited and wanted to find for well over a decade and every one of them has condition issues, but they are crossed off the list! Maybe someday I'll find a better one, but even if I don't, I'm good. A chain cent will forever be at the top of your list, and I'm not sure any find could be thought of as being an achievement, but it sure is a heck of a trophy and a lot of bragging rights. I don't live in a place where there would be very high odds of one, but I do believe there is at least one in the ground somewhere so I never say never.

Thanks! Trust me. I dug so many slick coppers i'm always happy with an ID. This coin still has my head messed up

Mr. Digger

Nov 25, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, SE pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is a dream find for sure man. I did not know they were so thick! Almost looks as thick as a cartwheel! Amazing.

tav396

Nov 1, 2010
western pa
Detector(s) used
XP Deus-- Minelab e-trac Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just saw the episode! awesome find!!!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Sick. You east coast guys make me sick sick sick. Did I mention you make me sick ? Aaaggghhh

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Those coppers just jump out of the ground for you east coasters!!

We'll never find anything like that on the left coast, so we'll have to suffer with 1800's gold coins and rare seated silver :laughing7:....

Brian, the secret is out. They're not really finding those LC's, colonial coppers, and busts. They just mail them back and forth to each other. And take pix of the same coins over and over and over again. They even craftily stage them in "in-situ" supposed reveal shots. Pretty clever, eh ?

creade

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
n.h.
Detector(s) used
DEUS,root slayer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just watched the episode!
I think I would have freaked out a little more than that;D I admire your restraint sir:weee:

TWray

Sep 5, 2016
Roanoke VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro & Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to hang in there and hit pay dirt.

OP
OP
K

Kurt Franz THB

Jun 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for the kind words! Much appreciated

CivilWarFan

May 3, 2016
American Pacific North West
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo and the Silver Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice find Kurt. Big fan of your guys YouTube channel. Every episode is very well done. Congrats from Oregon!!! That was an awesome video

Donnie B from VA

Apr 2, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II / XP Deus I
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Kurt, that coin is not only a bucket lister. It's a bucket lister inside the bucket of bucket listers! It's one of those coins that you dream of finding but never really think that you will find one. Congratulations Kurt! My vote is in for the Banner!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread