A long day at the beach with a couple of "What are These?" items

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I spent almost an entire day at an east coast Florida beach. The hunt yielded a lot of the typical items, including a ton of clad coins and fishing weights. I did manage to salvage one 1958-D dime, which came out of the sand in the condition shown below. The only jewelry item was a copper toe ring with dolphins etched into it. I was thinking of having it modified to wear as a nose ring to work, but then I remembered that I need my job, so I let that thought go...

I did find a couple of interesting items, and I'm not sure what they are. One was a large disc-shaped chunk of rust, which I assumed was iron. When I cleaned it, though, I discovered that it was a brass weight of some kind. It is 42.75 MM in diameter and weights exactly 60 grams, so I assume it is used as a weight of some kind, but for what? It does have a seam running down the middle of the side, so it appears to have been forged in a two-part mold of some kind.

The other items I can't figure out are two small phalic-looking lead weights. If they are intended as fishing weights, they are unusual, as they have no holes in them through which to string line. They would also be useless in the surf of the Atlantic Ocean, so I have no idea whey they were on this beach in the first place.

Oh well, I have photos of the finds below, and any help on identifying the origin/purpose of the mystery items is appreciated! Thanks!

All Finds.jpg 1958 D Dime Front.jpg 1958 D Dime Back.jpg Copper Toe Ring.jpg Disc Rusted.jpg Disc Cleaned.jpg Disc Cleaned with Side Seam.jpg Small Weights.jpg

Upvote 12

toddbbq

Apr 13, 2014
Lutz FL
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT-8000, Equinox 800 2x, T-Rex scoop, AT Pro and Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wierd lead pieces are whats left of Fishing jig heads the hooks have long rusted away

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wierd lead pieces are whats left of Fishing jig heads the hooks have long rusted away

I concur.

Something like this that you would attach an artificial worm to.

26FFC8EA-D10A-4F49-8873-CBEC618BF7EE.jpeg

OP
OP
TomW244

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Bingo! Thanks for the assist on that!

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
For sure jig weights. All over in the great lakes. Looks like a promising spot though.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice silver dime find! :occasion14:

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They may be old fishing jigs, or they may also be jewelry from body piercings. I've seen people with things like that in their lips, noses, etc. Just another thought. At my age, I prefer to think the fishing jigs is the right answer!

Yak1366

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2017
Ringgold, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett ATPro, ProPointer AT, Retriever II
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe the bronze piece is a cast net weight?

OP
OP
TomW244

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe the bronze piece is a cast net weight?

Your guess is as good as mine. I've only ever seen lead used for cast nets, but it might have been used as a scale weight due to being exactly 60 grams.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread